Security News WikiLeaks Reveals Athena, CIA Malware Targeting All Windows Versions

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
As if the WannaCry ransomware based on a vulnerability stolen from the NSA wasn’t enough, this weekend WikiLeaks revealed an exploit being used by the CIA against any Windows version out there and capable of taking control of the targeted system.

Codenamed Athena, the CIA project can compromise absolutely any Windows version on the market, starting with Windows XP and ending with Windows 10, providing attackers with capabilities like deploying other malware and access to local files should they want to drop certain data on the drives.

“Once installed, the malware provides a beaconing capability (including configuration and task handling), the memory loading/unloading of malicious payloads for specific tasks and the delivery and retrieval of files to/from a specified directory on the target system. It allows the operator to configure settings during runtime (while the implant is on target) to customize it to an operation,” WikiLeaks says.

Read More. WikiLeaks Reveals Athena, CIA Malware Targeting All Windows Versions

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
LOL, i remember i saw somewhere this: The most secure OS ever... Windows 10 was built focusing mainly on the security part... and i fell asleep. :)
Nothing is secure nowadays, only our perception on the safety may be influenced to believe what is wanted to believe.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Athena: according to Greek mythology was the goddess of wisdom and technical skill.
Eh..of course, they know how to compromise every Windows system.
Malware's name is perfectly appropriate :eek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.