Will Sony finally allow PSN ID username changes?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Developers of multiplayer games tell Kotaku that they’re preparing for PlayStation Network name changes to finally come soon.
Three people at three different game studios, speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to talk to press, said that in recent months they’ve been fixing bugs, tweaking settings, and ensuring that their games are compatible with Sony’s plans.

A fourth person who worked for a game studio shared a photo, obtained from internal Sony documentation, of a PSN profile containing the option “edit username.” The documentation was a guide for changing one’s name on the PlayStation Network, that person said.

We don’t yet have any sort of timeframe for the feature, and those developers have suggested that as a result of how PSN IDs were originally implemented (linking your account ID to your username rather than some sort of universally unique identifier), retroactively fixing old multiplayer games might be a time-consuming and difficult prospect. Sony did not respond to a request for comment.

E

Eddie Morra

The question is, will they charge for it like Microsoft?
Good point. I think they will make it free to do it once over a certain time period, but will make a fee to continue doing it to prevent abuse of the name changing.

What do you think?

L

Local Host

Good point. I think they will make it free to do it once over a certain time period, but will make a fee to continue doing it to prevent abuse of the name changing.

What do you think?
Coming from Sony I expect nothing Free, they'll take any chance to make extra money.

Reactions: Eddie Morra
E

Eddie Morra

Coming from Sony I expect nothing Free, they'll take any chance to make extra money.
I wonder how they are doing financially. I believe the PS4 was selling really well at the start but I don't know about it nowadays.

L

Local Host

I wonder how they are doing financially. I believe the PS4 was selling really well at the start but I don't know about it nowadays.
Sony is pretty much making most of their money from PS4 sales and services. Is the reason why I don't see them handing anything for free on the PS4, they'll want to make as much money as possible.

But then again, PS4 lifetime is coming to an end, and Sony may want to make positive advertising with Cross-Platform Support and Free Name Change (both features heavily requested) to open the way to the PS5.
Sony’s predictions for the entirety of the 2017/18 financial year leave the revenue static at JP¥8.5 trillion (US$77.8 Billion) but increase the operating income expectation by +14.3% to JP¥720 billion (US$6.59 billion). Games and network services have surpassed financial services as the product segment with the highest operating income.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The question is, will they charge for it like Microsoft?
AFAIK, Microsoft allow for one free Gamertag change, thereafter they charge you. Do you know if Microsoft keep a list of your previous aliases, as Steam does for their PC userbase?

L

Local Host

AFAIK, Microsoft allow for one free Gamertag change, thereafter they charge you. Do you know if Microsoft keep a list of your previous aliases, as Steam does for their PC userbase?
The free name change is pretty much a lie, because when you create an Xbox Account it generates a random username for you (it doesn't let you set one).
So you pretty much use your free token the moment you create the account.
There's a list of previous names you had, but I don't think it's public, and you can't revert back unless you pay and set it again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.