Will the malware someday become Artificially Intelligent?

D

Deleted member 65228

Ehhh I'll give you my straight up honest opinion. If a business is claiming to be "next-gen" and what-not, I would just instantly mark it to be avoided by myself. It is extremely misleading and unrealistic IMO... Just a marketing trick to try and create a hype bandwagon into liking a new start-up when it probably isn't as good as it is made out to be IMO. Like try and appear "different" or "better" when in actual fact they are more or less the same or twice as bad as normal vendors, maybe even using same techniques which were possible since win2k/XP/Vista

From what I can tell, usually the best ones are the ones that ignore the "next-gen" branding and just continue to do their own thing with their good team of skilled engineers/researchers, etc

As for malware in general, maybe it will become "artificially intelligent" but honestly it depends on what "artificially intelligent" even means because people may understand it differently. Anything in the world can be abused for bad if it is being used for good so if Ai can be used for security then sure it can be used for malware but that doesn't mean it'll happen any-time soon or be used to its full potential any-time soon. Not to mention that we have never even seen real "Ai" yet IMO. Maybe in 5 - 20 years time

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I don't see how it will not evolve, just as the protection evolves so must the attackers if
they are to stay relevant, unfortunately it is the way of things.

Yes and it will all just seem normal to the modern generations. As for me, my first car had a button on the floor that I had to push with foot to turn over the starter and another one on the floor to dim the head lights. Oh yes and a cool AM radio too. Back then the TV shops would let you take a TV home for a weekend and also the auto sellers would do same. I remember my first color show was Lil Abner and am pretty sure my dad on got the TV for the weekend because he knew the girls in the movie would have really short shorts on. He did end up buying it. We had wagons and BB guns and were always on the move. Look at kids now days. They have cell phones at age 5.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I had a question regarding the future of malware. Do you guys believe that malware will someday become artificially intelligent? With all the new Next Generation antivirus solutions coming out, will malware removal be out of our hands?

Defense to it WILL need to become artificially intelligent.

I read there are researchers working on smart defenses. For example there is a conceptualized password manager that detects tampering and creates a 'fake' database once the tampering is confirmed. Any subsequent access to the password database would reveal irrelevant/fake passwords. The owner would have a recovery method outside of the insecure environment.

I remember a few years ago a guy was working on a Chromium Fork that had self defense measures. One of the measures was, it would know if it wasn't you loading the browser. So it would replace all of the history and bookmarks with 'meaningless' ones like CNN, ESPN, Stock Market Sites, etc. Your 'real' stuff would be encrypted and locked, awaiting your validation.

Chris H

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
"Will the malware someday become Artificially Intelligent?"

- Malware by Government actors - it's very possibly.
Remember stuxnet? very smart already...
Have you heard of Darpa? I have a friend in the air force who likes to work on web crawlers. The stuff he does with that web crawler is gangsta. He seems to like the idea of offense for defense. He went as far as to mention using an operating system like parrot os or something, I can't remember the actual name of the one he mentioned. But yea back to darpa, they have the wildest creations. This only leads me to believe that software is nothing compared to those things. I say we are already there. The only thing is if we are we would never know, that would be the whole point of it being ai (evasive measures).

Chris H

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Have you watched this video about Sofia the first robot made citizen to Saudi Arabia?
hanson robotics - Bing video

Actually I have. I saw her talking to another robot. They were supposed to be having a debate. The thing I noticed was how slow the response time was. That scares me. Not because of the timing but what it could be doing in that amount of time. Computers aren't slow... I have a little smart robot at home and that thing is manipulative. I would like to possibly get into the security industry so I'm looking for ideas as to what is really going on and not what's on the mainstream radar.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Have you heard of Darpa? I have a friend in the air force who likes to work on web crawlers. The stuff he does with that web crawler is gangsta. He seems to like the idea of offense for defense. He went as far as to mention using an operating system like parrot os or something, I can't remember the actual name of the one he mentioned. But yea back to darpa, they have the wildest creations. This only leads me to believe that software is nothing compared to those things. I say we are already there. The only thing is if we are we would never know, that would be the whole point of it being ai (evasive measures).

Hi Chris, you wrote: "Have you heard of Darpa?" - yes, of course... we are already there, I agree with you on this. "The only thing is if we are we would never know."....

Your post very smart!

L

Local Host

"Will the malware someday become Artificially Intelligent?"

- Malware by Government actors - it's very possibly.
Remember stuxnet? very smart already...
Lets not confuse Virtual Intelligence with Artificial Intelligence, one is self-learning (and way more dangerous).

I wouldn't rate stuxnet one any of the two, but if I had to I would say Virtual Intelligence, just following the code without self-learning abilities.

Chris H

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Lets not confuse Virtual Intelligence with Artificial Intelligence, one is self-learning (and way more dangerous).

I wouldn't rate stuxnet one any of the two, but if I had to I would say Virtual Intelligence, just following the code without self-learning abilities.

I have to agree, I think stuxnet just introduced the idea of exploits.

D

Deleted member 65228

Stuxnet wasn't Artificial Intelligence. It was programmed to do a job and it executed the operations upon infection to do what it was programmed to do. It wasn't as-is it was programmed to be sent out at targets and then automatically decide what it will do and how it will do it; it was specifically crafted to target specific hardware for specifically programmed-in operations. Due to how "clean" it was in terms of the malicious software itself, and the expertise required for it to have been developed, it is implicated that a state agency was behind the operation - as far as I know this has never actually been validated through facts, only speculation surrounding its origins.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016

Yes I have heard of DARPA and you are correct they are into some strange stuff. I knew of someone that kind of worked for them. at the time they were developing a voice translator for Afghanistan that would translate Farsi to English and vice versa for field troops.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Yes I have heard of DARPA and you are correct they are into some strange stuff. I knew of someone that kind of worked for them. at the time they were developing a voice translator for Afghanistan that would translate Farsi to English and vice versa for field troops.

That's not strange at all, that's off the shelf stuff now. Go down the rabbit hole farther and see the radionics, action at a distance and entanglement, remote viewing and PPI manipulation (aka psychosis inducement) and a whole bunch of other weird stuff out of the scope of this thread. The lust for 'control' from our military industrial complex is frightening. I suspect under the guise of 'it's to help us fight bad guys' keeps it acceptable for people when in reality everyone knows deep down it will be turned inward. (or has)

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I had a question regarding the future of malware. Do you guys believe that malware will someday become artificially intelligent? With all the new Next Generation antivirus solutions coming out, will malware removal be out of our hands?
Malware is one step ahead of antivirus companies. And I think this will go on like this.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.