Will you update to Windows 10 Fall Creators - How to delay it ?

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hey, how big is this update?:)
Mine was around 4 GB (Windows 10 Pro x64).
I've seem many comments saying the update assistant path is quite faster than through Windows Update. I have no idea if it's true as I used Windows Update myself.
I have updated using Update Assistant and it took me approximately 3 hours. Desktop PC was updated via Windows Update, had and error and it took about 2 hours. I still have to update one more laptop and I was planning to do it with Upgrade Assistant again. :)
I used the media ctreationtoll as it is not availablle through the update assistant here yet. I might just have to wait.
You can always try by downloading an ISO, creating bootable DVD or USB and running the upgrade. :cool:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

I'll probably wait a few days or weeks before upgrading.
I am doing the same as well. I think that it would just be a waste of time for me to let it update and then run into problems and have to revert back.

I will just sit patiently for a few weeks and then update. At least then, more issues will be known and should have been addressed. I would rather have a smooth experience than a potentially buggy one!

In the mean-time I can use my old laptop or a Virtual Machine which I have been doing to look at some changes. :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
To everyone using Fall Creators Update - don't run an on-screen keyboard. There's bug so if you run it, it will constantly pop up after signing in.

If you have accidentaly ran it, go to Services and disable Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service. It will stop it from running it automatically, but it's only temporarily solution until Microsoft fixes bug. If you disable service, you won't be able to use on-screen keyboard at all.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
To everyone using Fall Creators Update - don't run an on-screen keyboard. There's bug so if you run it, it will constantly pop up after signing in.

If you did accidentaly run it, go to Services and disable Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service. It will stop it from running it automatically, but it's only temporarly solution until Microsoft fixes bug. If you disable service, you won't be able to use on-screen keyboard.
Thanks for the info!

I want to test this, but I won't. :LOL:

stevethetester

Level 1
Verified
Jan 3, 2016
Installed it yesterday on my wife's laptop and it is running completely faultless. However, having installed it on my desktop....... where do I start. When it (eventually) boots into the desktop and after waiting at least 5 minutes for the disk activity to drop to a normal amount from the initial 100% all appears well. But wait- even though it responds for a very short time to clicking on my task bar items it eventually brings up chrome (or whatever I click on) it all freezes within no time at all; no response to anything including the start menu etc etc with the mouse them freezing after this. Only way to get out of this is to do a hard reboot and so it begins again. This morning I did a "return to previous version) which went great and my pc is once again back to it's happy speedy self.Only problem is that the update has once again downloaded itself and tells me that it is ready for installation. I have clicked on the reminder box telling it to remind me in 3 days.But then what? Is this going to be a case of Groundhog day having to keep on repeating this exorcise or is microsoft going to realize there is a problem (identical to the one when the creator upgrade was pushed out too soon) and sort this Out? I would advise to hang back as long as you can before potentially trashing your pc's.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Are you using the official MS dowload or tweaked ISO (aka bloatware free)?
Cause all that tweaking can result in some unwanted bug in itself (in my personal experience tweaking Windows too much always results in some weird bugs).
I use Custom tweaked that keeps all apps and bloatware intact but performance optimised out of the box.
Yep, tweaking has its ups and downs so I disable all telemetry w/o hampering Windows so that my IDEs work correctly all the time every time.

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I have installed the update for a couples of days now but things aren't good.
For some strange reason I have too many windows processes running.
The number is from 65 to 75 processes. Something surely has gone wrong.
My wife's pc which has W10 Pro has as expected 30 to 32 windows processes.
Right now i am downloading W10 with Media creation tool on a usb to do a clean install.
If your PC has more than 8 GB of RAM than it separates the windows processes so it has less crashes and maybe your wife's pc has less than 8 GB of RAM so it show less processes because it bundles them up in to svchost.exe processes.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Yahoo after three days and 10 to 12 attempts (not sure how many as I lost count) and about 50Gigs of downloads I finally got the Fall Creators Update 1709 installed at last on my other machine. Time for a cellebration I think. It seemed to well after running dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (y):cool:

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
How is the laptop coping with the update?
I didn't test it too much because it finished around 11 PM. But as far as I saw, opening files was fast as usual. I'm actually surprised I successfully installed Windows 10 on it. There isn't any drivers for Windows 10 so I used Windows 7 drivers and some from Windows Update, and they work great.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I managed to update one of my dad's machines without any issues, but on the second laptop it ended up completely botched so I'll suggest him to make a clean install on that one. I've been using mostly linux lately and I still haven't updated my Win10 machine, but I'll probably do it later in the evening or tomorrow morning. I'll cross my fingers and hope it works. :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.