Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
When Radionomy purchased Winamp from AOL in early 2014, they promised to keep Winamp alive. Those promises were hollow as no new updates were released in the past 4 years.
That is until recently through leaks and hype, Radionomy officially released Winamp 5.8 in all its nostalgic glory. With its expanding control panels, car stereo like skins, hard core settings, and its visualizers that you can stare at for hours, Winamp is ready to rock and roll!
... ... ...

Changes in Winamp 5.8

For those who are curious as to what has changed in this release, the full changelog is below:
  • New: Windows Audio (WASAPI) Output plug-in (w.i.p.)
  • Improved: Added an option to completely disable Winamp's video support
  • Improved: Added an auto-fullscreen option to video prefs
  • Improved: Added /ENUMPLAYLISTS to the command-line support
  • Improved: Windows 8.1 and 10 compatibility
  • Improved: [in_mod] OpenMPT-based Module Player (replaces old MikMod player)
  • Improved: [ml_playlists] Added browse path & edit title functions in Ctrl+E editor
  • Improved: [Bento] Updated scrollbars and buttons and other tweaks (thanks Martin)
  • Improved: [Bento & Modern skins] Added a Playlist Search feature (thanks Victor)
  • Fixed: New URLs not being remembered after using Reset history in Open URL dialog
  • Fixed: Various memory leaks
  • Fixed: [gen_tray] Not showing correct current icon pack in preferences
  • Fixed: [in_avi] Divide-by-zero crash with badly formed files (thanks ITDefensor)
  • Fixed: [in_mp3] Crashing with some ID3v2 tags
  • Fixed: [ml_wire] Slow loading issue
  • Fixed: [ssdp] Crash on load if jnetlib was not correctly initialized
  • Misc: Minimum required OS is now Win XP sp3 (Windows 7 or higher recommended)
  • Misc: More general tweaks, improvements, fixes and optimizations
  • Misc: Moved shared DLLs to Winamp\Shared folder
  • Removed: All former "Pro" licensed functions (Winamp is now 100% freeware again)
  • Removed: gen_jumpex & UnicodeTaskbarFix (making way for native implementations)
  • Removed: ml_nowplaying
  • Removed: [in_wm] DRM support
  • Replaced: CD playback and ripping now using native Windows API (instead of Sonic)
  • Replaced: MP3 Decoder now mpg123 based (instead of Fraunhofer)
  • Replaced: AAC Decoder now using Media Foundation (Vista and higher)
  • Replaced: H.264 Decoder now using Media Foundation (Vista and higher)
  • Replaced: MPEG-4 Pt.2 Decoder now using Media Foundation (Vista and higher)
  • Updated: [in_vorbis] libogg 1.3.3 & libvorbis 1.3.6
  • Updated: [libFLAC] FLAC 1.3.2
  • Updated: [libyajl] libyajl v2.1.0
  • Updated: [OpenSSL] OpenSSL v1.0.1i
  • Updated: [png] libpng v1.5.24.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I love Winamp! This is one media software I can't do without. I've been using it since 1997-98, a 20+ year old love affair. :love:

Use(d) several other media players including JRiver, Mediamonkey, Musicbee, Foobar among others but I keep firing up Winamp by default.

If Radionomy wanted a donation or even a reasonable license fee I'd be happy to pay up if only they'd assure us long time users of continued development.

PS - yep, I downloaded Winamp 5.8 shortly after it was made public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.