WinAntiRansom Released (beta is over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Just got the December Winpatrol newsletter and apparently WinAntiRansom just got released (now out of beta). I tried it a couple times in beta and it had some issues/weirdness/lack of usefulness then that kept me from even bothering to mess with it, even though I bought a couple lifetime licenses out of loyalty due to my years of using winpatrol. Here's to hoping it's a worthwhile product. The beta forums weren't very positive =( WinAntiRansom

WinAntiRansom Released Today!
Declare WAR on Ransomware!
72844f34-c818-43d0-84e4-6744b6fb633f.png

That's right, we are officially releasing WinAntiRansom today!

WinAntiRansom does the following:
  • Detects and blocks known Ransomware from multiple industry sources!
  • Detects and blocks most Malware and other suspicious programs!
  • Gives you the to power to block any program you want. (Like the annoying Windows 10 update programs so many of you have asked us for help in blocking.)
  • Uses whitelisting technology to prevent unwanted programs from touching the data you place in your SafeZone.
  • Kills programs behaving badly... But gives you the ability to easily allow (whitelist) any programs(s) with the click of the mouse.
Stop Ransomware in it's tracks! Kill it BEFORE it encyrpts your data!

WinAntiRansom (like all of our products) is compatible with all other security products. It was designed to run in support of other security products, as a part of a layered security solution.

Last edited:

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Thanks I didn't notice it, just copy pasted from the newsletter. Removing that one. I made sure to put a safe (and checked) link at the top, and totally missed the original one, thanks again for spotting it. Things like that are why I think I have lost faith in Ruiware and never used winprivacy even though I have lifetime licenses for that as well.

Still use Winpatrol, but since the original owner sold and moved on things have gotten weird.

I was hoping folks here would be able to tell me if this product is even worth considering. I don't think anybody anywhere has even reviewed the beta.

@cruelsister from here said they were checking out the betas in this post Question - WinPatrol WinAntiRansom PLUS Perhaps Cruel can give us their take on the final product.

Last edited:

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Winpatrol was Ruiware's first product, years back, their newest offering is this one, WinAntiRansom Plus. I am sure they'd love to have reviews done, unless they have something to hide, hehe.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Excellent question. Just installed it and it appears 'mostly' functional without registration.

From the settings screen only [Participate in "Smart Recognition" where definitions are used to make Allow determination] is greyed out. I would guess that's their cloud or cloud-like whitelisting.

Yep, here it is: "“Smart Recognition” tells WinAntiRansom to utilize our definitions and automatically allow “known good” programs." That seems to be the only thing disabled in unregistered versions. WinAntiRansom Settings

More info here: “Smart Recognition” tells WinAntiRansom to utilize our definitions and automatically allow “known good” programs while giving you the opportunity to override that decision if you desire when prompted. WinAntiRansom PreEmptive Strike

At least the documentation looks done, last time I tried it there wasn't any good documentation yet.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
I can't find a newer thread, so i post it here. Just a word of caution, for users that have a secondary HDD and want to protect data on it. In WAR, it appears as if everything is fine, but in reality it's not.

http://www.landzdown.com/winantiransom/war-won't-run/15/?PHPSESSID=8892acaec6e22b32d690e30b6953a2f0

Basically, if you want your safezone to be on D: instead of C: (i have SSD as C:, so i don't want to keep much data on it, while i have a 2TB secondary HDD i can use), WAR will be glad to accept your setting, but only apparently. In reality nothing on D: is protected.

There have been 1-2 releases since i reported it, still no fix. So, if someone wants to protect D: , better wait for a changelog that confirms it. I 've purchased a license months ago and still can't use WAR really.

IMHO, the beta is NOT really over. :p

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
Based on the ransomeware tests in the hub an anti-ransomeware isn't really needed if you have a good anti-exe or AV. :)

True, Comodo for example is much safer than WAR. But, i usually get bored with security applications and change combos for variety or when one gets bloated. So i bought a license and i would have preferred if i could actually use it, if i wanted to. You know, you get tired of Comodo D+ pop ups and you want something less "annoying" for few months? You can put WAR on. That's why i bought it. I can't resist easily lifetime licenses either.

For users that aren't educated enough to use a normal HIPS, WAR set by someone experienced is a good alternative. When it works. It's quite user friendly.

Niente

Level 2
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
True, Comodo for example is much safer than WAR. But, i usually get bored with security applications and change combos for variety or when one gets bloated. So i bought a license and i would have preferred if i could actually use it, if i wanted to. You know, you get tired of Comodo D+ pop ups and you want something less "annoying" for few months? You can put WAR on. That's why i bought it. I can't resist easily lifetime licenses either.

For users that aren't educated enough to use a normal HIPS, WAR set by someone experienced is a good alternative. When it works. It's quite user friendly.

What Comodo version did you mentioned is much safer than (WAR) WinAntiRansom? :)

Maybe Comodo Internet SecurityPro 8?

Thanks in advance.

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Verified
May 7, 2016
Winantiransom is a very buggy application. Latest version in August 2016 is blocking NetLimiter client. I think it is high time I got rid of the application.

Just uninstalled winantiransom. Freedom atlast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.