Windows 10’s latest update fail is causing serious issues – here’s what you need to do

Antus67

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
The return of Blue Screen of Death
Reports are emerging that yet another Windows 10 update is causing problems for people who have downloaded and installed it.

The update in question is Windows 10 KB4540673, and it was only released on March 10. It was supposed to bring a number of security fixes, and even though this was supposed to be a minor update, it appears Microsoft’s recent habit of releasing updates that break more things than they fix has struck again.

According to Windows Latest, this new update, which is for Windows 10 versions 1909 and 1903 – so the two most recent major versions of Windows 10 – is reportedly causing some people’s PCs to crash and display the dreaded Blue Screen of Death.

According to a reader of Windows Latest, “After installing it I started having BSOD every time I started my PC. Only solution I had was rolling back to a previous restore points of some days ago.”

There have also been people on Reddit reporting issues since installing the update, and while the number of cases seems low, it is growing.

More problems
While the most common problem with Windows 10 KB4540673 seems to be PCs randomly crashing – one user reported his PC crashing while playing CS:GO – other users have reported that the update takes an unreasonably long time to download and install.

Another user has also claimed that the update brings back the temporary user profile bug, which replaces the default Windows 10 user account with a new temporary one, removing any desktop icons or customizations. This was an issue that plagued a lot of people when it was included in a previous Windows 10 update.

What should you do?
If you’ve downloaded the Windows 10 KB4540673 update and are encountering any issues, the best way to fix the problem is to uninstall the update.

Open up the Settings app (the cog icon in the Start menu, or by pressing Windows + I on the keyboard), then click 'Update & security'.

From the window that appears, click 'Windows Update' on the left-hand menu, then 'View update history'.

Click 'Uninstall updates' then select KB4540673 to uninstall it. The problems should now be fixed.

You could also use the System Restore feature in Windows 10 to roll back your PC to a time when it was working correctly.

Microsoft has yet to comment on these new problems, and as we stated so far it seems like the issues aren’t too widespread. If you installed the update and you’ve not experienced any problems, then you’ll be fine to continue with it installed.

Source:Windows 10’s latest update fail is causing serious issues – here’s what you need to do

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I can't actually link this issue to Windows updates directly, the KB4540673 on 3/10/2019 specifically, but yesterday, first thing upon boot, I'm getting these Application errors in Event Viewer:

evapperr1000.PNG

I've searched and found several threads on this, so I tried a few things mentioned in them, namely: sfc /scannow, the various dism commands, and re-registering the Store. I can trigger this simply by clicking on the Control Panel. What I haven't tried is a repair install of Windows--is this worth it since there are NO other errors and the system is running very well?

Anyone else? Cortana is able to run but isn't, itself, enabled. Well, in Reliability Monitor, there is a note that an error report was sent, so let that sleeping dog lie, I guess. Everything seems to work fine, at least on the surface.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
There was no problem with my environment.

I think uninstalling is a very primitive solution. It's like saying 'Please marry me' and immediately say 'Divorce if there is a problem with compatibility'. What a selfish attitude:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
advice: do not update your windows on Tuesday or Wednesday, when MS release weekly updates. Wait until sunday or monday because people will report problems so you can decide yourselves to update or not
or you can update your windows once or twice a month.
don't be their beta testers

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
advice: do not update your windows on Tuesday or Wednesday, when MS replease weekly updates. Wait until sunday or monday because people will report problems so you can decide yourselves to update or not
In other words, defer updates for a week

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
advice: do not update your windows on Tuesday or Wednesday, when MS release weekly updates. Wait until sunday or monday because people will report problems so you can decide yourselves to update or not
I've used windows for many years & until recently I would have disagreed with you but I'm going to defer updates for a week, as yet again an issue arises, the last one affected me this one don't seem to have - If I get taken over by the dark forces that bad luck to me :):)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
In other words, defer updates for a week
I've used windows for many years & until recently I would have disagreed with you but I'm going to defer updates for a week, as yet again an issue arises, the last one affected me this one don't seem to have - If I get taken over by the dark forces that bad luck to me :):)

I've been holding off updating Windows on Patch Tuesday for some time now, I've not found any problems through doing so. I think I missed a change in my settings on a PC after the January 2020 updates which set updates back to automatically install, rather then to defer them as I'd set it. It now refuses to hibernate or sleep at night, it's a known issue and I didn't want to uninstall all of the months updates to try and fix it. I hope that this is fixed this month, but I will wait a few days this time for sure. The PC sleeps/hibernates fine during the day, but wakes at about 2 AM no matter how many changes to settings I try to sort it. It not a big hassle but I'd like to have control back fro MY PC. thank you MS.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Unfortunately, this will not change in the future. Windows Updates are well tested only on some hardware/system/software configurations. The more non-standard configuration the more chances of failure. I do not have any issues (and also my family and friends) for a few years. All configs avoid 3rd party security and people do not install/uninstall many applications.
This is of course not an excuse for Microsoft, but only simple observation.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Right. But in my case, updates are not vulnerabilities, they are events that complement curiosity. Only if there is no serious trouble.🥴👍

Unfortunately, this will not change in the future. Windows Updates are well tested only on some hardware/system/software configurations. The more non-standard configuration the more chances of failure. I do not have any issues (and also my family and friends) for a few years. All configs avoid 3rd party security and people do not install/uninstall many applications.
The tendency to avoid overly complex configurations of security software has become more apparent since the risk of failing with updates has increased. It is most stable to use Windows as is. These days, Windows seems so fragile that tweaking it to your liking can make it less stable.
It falls under the act of cutting strings by mistake while trying to tune the sound of the guitar.🎸😩

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Right. But in my case, updates are not vulnerabilities, they are events that complement curiosity. Only if there is no serious trouble.🥴👍

The tendency to avoid overly complex configurations of security software has become more apparent since the risk of failing with updates has increased. It is most stable to use Windows as is. These days, Windows seems so fragile that tweaking it to your liking can make it less stable.
It falls under the act of cutting strings by mistake while trying to tune the sound of the guitar.🎸😩
My tuners don’t cut...but I have overtightened when distracted 😖 For what it’s worth updates have been smooth for me on Win10 🤪🤞

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I rarely never had WU problems but recent events have been where MS brings an update out Tuesday pulls it later in the week or announces issues & few patch Tuesdays go by without some changes later in the week. Apart from super critical events occurring out of normal routine the issues are often not that new & MS are usually happy to wait up to a month for these updates - Pulling an update that happened last month I think affected lots of 'normal' users including us 'abnormal' users - Patches that are pulled often are left so aint that important - Can't see a week making much difference.

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I rarely never had WU problems but recent events have been where MS brings an update out Tuesday pulls it later in the week or announces issues & few patch Tuesdays go by without some changes later in the week. Apart from super critical events occurring out of normal routine the issues are often not that new & MS are usually happy to wait up to a month for these updates - Pulling an update that happened last month I think affected lots of 'normal' users including us 'abnormal' users - Patches that are pulled often are left so aint that important - Can't see a week making much difference.

A cynic might suggest that Microsoft is aiming to put 'abnormal' users off of tweaking their systems. Perhaps so as the telemetry and other spying components in the OS continue to function as MS intended!

Reactions: show-Zi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.