Windows 10’s new Meet Now feature could be a Zoom killer

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
A week ago we reported that Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20211 contained a new feature – Meet Now, which integrated video conferencing natively into the OS.
Now WindowsLatest has uncovered a bit more on the feature.
Windows 10 users will be able to start a video call by generating a sharing link via a button in the taskbar notification area.

Crucially neither the person starting the meeting or the attendees would need to have special accounts, but only the sharing link or the meeting access code.

When the call is accepted it can either open up in the Skype desktop client or the Skype web app in Edge.

L

Local Host

Right.. This is just another one of those features with potencial, which Microsoft will ignore and won't support for the majorly of it's lifetime then scrap.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Right.. This is just another one of those features with potencial, which Microsoft will ignore and won't support for the majorly of it's lifetime then scrap.
Only if it's not successful.

If Microsoft remove the Skype account requirement and replace or provide a usage without any accounts, this would be a real killer feature against all other products.

L

Local Host

Only if it's not successful.

If Microsoft remove the Skype account requirement and replace or provide a usage without any accounts, this would be a real killer feature against all other products.
Skype Accounts no longer exist, they now run through Microsoft Accounts. I doubt Microsoft will do that anyway, they have little patience when it comes to success.

They'll just waste as much money as they can on Meet Now and in 2 years will close down the service cause it wasn't successful enough (like they did with Mixer recently and many more services, features and software in the past).

If Microsoft was smart they would know a product to be successful takes time, and lots of support, which is something they not interested in.

So I can't recommend anyone to drop Zoom and use Meet Now, which has an uncertain future (Microsoft made their own bed).

Reactions: Ville

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
You don't need a Skype account, it's all integrated with your Microsoft account.
This is fine for the meeting "owner", but as a participant, I'll give my IP, but no sign-in, with a meeting link. Presently I use 8x8 and invitees get a link that a simple browser can manage without extension/add-in/login.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.