Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
1809 is patched enough to be usable now. It's a little less snappy and IKEv2 for VPN is broken. Some people report audio issues so don't trust the drivers Windows 1809 installs for you, have the drivers of your OEM ready. In an effort to make the kernel more secure, they ended up breaking old and new drivers so you if you run into those issues know you will have to experiment with drivers. What used to work in 1803 may no longer work in 1809. That's my experience.

But as I tell anyone who asks me in real life and on the Internet, backup backup backup. And keep that backup for at least 1 month! Just in case something goes south you can just restore a backup instead of tedious reinstall.
The most dangerous part of 1809 is the upgrade process. There are so so many issues. I had to upgrade 3x. On the third try it worked. Windows seems to break itself during installation so be prepared for that. If you upgrade and 1809 is using a lot of CPU or acting sluggish, something broke because the same things happened to me. I restored my backup of 1803, turned off my AV, redownload the ISO and tried again and it worked 90% but it still acted buggy so I followed this guide to restore health which repairs the Windows image:
How to use DISM command-line utility to repair a Windows 10 image
After that it finally acted normal. Once you have it at a point where it is stable, do another backup before you start tweaking settings. 1809 is definitely more "sensitive". I learned the hard way. Good luck! (y)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
^^Windows users logic = More is better.

This does not speak for me and those I know who run Windows v. 1809 successfully. I don't like this statement, but I suppose it's applicable to some, like any product.

To OP: I would install v.1809 via ISO and just get it over with. The next big Windows release isn't until April so you have some time to adjust to it. I'd make sure all personal data is backed up first.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It's funny because it's true. Windows users logic = More is better.
And end up blaming the OS or one of the billionth security software installed for the mess. I am not saying Win 10 is prefect or bug free, hell it was pretty buggy at the launch, but after million cumulative updates/patches it's usable and stable now. In short win10 1809 is safe to install now.
Always follow the KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid.
Disclaimer: If you take my advice and start kissing random person on street I will not be liable in any way whatsoever :p

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

1809 forme as well. I did a clean install and haven't had any issues as of yet. I agree that while MS isn't perfect and they do create their own problems, some people create their own problems by pulling on tons of programs (security/others) and then wonder why they are having issues. Not to mention the ones that use tons of "maintenance" programs (ie: registry cleaners), then act suprised when things aren't working anymore.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
If you want a stable 10, then 1709. 1803/1809 issues will be fixed in 1903, while introducing new ones of course, that pretty much sums it up. :D

This reminded me of the thread that asked if people thought their OS was exciting... well I really hope Microsoft will make Windows boring again... Too much excitement lately ranging from disappearing docs bugs to breaking 3rd party security and even backup programs. The fact these bugs didn't hit me personally don't make than any less serious.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
I'm still on 1803 , my wife has almost the same system like mine but from day 1 she checked for updates and received 1809.... she has no problems with this build.
After i came home from work MS already pulled back 1809 ... so i'm still waiting for this 1809

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So, how often are these big Windows 10 updates released? Once or twice a year?
A typical x64 update has ~1GB, but if the user has all previous updates, it will download only about 200MB, updates backup 3 times, but to other locations so it is most likely meant for upgrades, but 7GB is hardly enough. Just esd files take 3GB, etc, I bet they will increase it even more. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.