• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
2 Laptop

HP - Win 10 64 installed & activated.
Lenovo - Win 7 64 installed & HardDisk Damaged.

I have probs on HP laptop so I have removed the HDD & put it on Lenovo laptop.
Windows asking to activate.
Now we can activate with Win 7 key, right? Is the activation also for OEM laptop i.e I can use the key on the back of the laptop?

I have Win 7 OEM key i.e key on the back of the laptop for HP laptop & Lenovo laptop.

Which key should I use to activate Win 10 on Lenovo?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Not yet.

Should I activate with Lenovo Win 7 key?

And when I will put new HDD on HP laptop will it activate? Coz HP laptop was already activated to Win 10 so new HDD affects activation?

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Moving an HDD with an operating system installation from the computer in which it was originally installed, to a different computer, is potentially bound to create a multitude of issues in the OS installation (a different system means almost entirely different hardware, driver and BIOS configuration which might "shock" the OS and even cause it not to boot at all).
In any case, you'll probably have to do a clean install for both HDDs, or clone the OS installations from one disk to the other using a third HDD.

Regarding activating the Windows installations, you should activate Windows 10 using the upgraded key, and not the Windows 7 key (you can try it, but it most likely will not work).
If the Windows 10 key doesn't work, contact Microsoft Customer Service, describe the issue and you should regain eligibility to use the Window 10 upgrade key on the Lenovo laptop.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
What do you mean by Windows 10 Upgraded Key?

By the way I did clean Win 10 install & activated with Lenovo Win 7 OEM Key as mentioned in the first post. Activation was successful & Win 10 activated.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
As posted in this thread ARCHIVED - Free' Windows 10 Has An Expensive Secret

When you upgrade from 7 to 10 and activate the product, any subsequent installs of Windows 10 (even fresh installs) do not require a key, you just pick 'enter it later' or whatever it is and it will activate automatically once Windows 10 installs.

If you change the hardware itself, it may give you problems requiring a phone call to Microsoft to get activated.

Theoretically, you are not entitled to move the 'free' Windows 10 upgrade to a different machine.

If it activated on the Lenovo, that's great. I see what you did was use your Lenovo Win 7 key to get your free Win 10 upgrade on the Lenovo so it's all kosher and completely separate from the HP.

If the HP itself came pre-installed with Windows 10 it should also qualify for automatic re-activation if you rebuild/fix it.

TLDR you did the right thing using the Win 7 key to upgrade the Lenovo to Win 10.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
HP was upgraded from Win 7.
Now I will get a HDD for HP. Clean install Win 10 & activate with Win 7 HP Key.
I thought you changed the HDD out of the HP because your problem with the display? Why did you do that if you are going to put another drive in the HP with the display problem?
It will be hard to activate an OS on a PC with a bad display when it requires restarts during install and you cannot see what you are doing or where you are in the install process.
Somewhere in these two threads I got lost.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I thought you changed the HDD out of the HP because your problem with the display? Why did you do that if you are going to put another drive in the HP with the display problem?
It will be hard to activate an OS on a PC with a bad display when it requires restarts during install and you cannot see what you are doing or where you are in the install process.
Somewhere in these two threads I got lost.
You are forgetting that once HP laptop boots fine then subsequent restarts has no prob so install/activation on HP will not be a prob.

I tried HP HDD on Lenovo coz was not sure if Lenovo HDD is only damaged or MOBO or other probs too. And Lenovo worked so clean installed Win 10 to have an active system without prob as HP has display prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.