Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 10 Anniversary Update Launches Today

Microsoft is getting ready to push the go-ahead button for the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update, which is the most important milestone since the release of Windows 10 in July 2015.

The Anniversary Update will come with a long list of improvements, and these include an enhanced Start menu with a hamburger icon and the focus on the apps, Windows Ink for better use of the OS with a pen, a revamped Action Center, updated Cortana, and completely new features such as browser extension support in Microsoft Edge.

The Anniversary Update is available for both PCs and smartphones and can be downloaded via the standard update system - Windows Update or with a standalone ISO that Microsoft will release later today via the Media Creation Tool.

In a June 29 blog post, Microsoft says that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update will bring improvements in six different areas and claims that security is one of the most important. Windows Hello for apps and websites and new features for Windows Defender will become available with the Anniversary Update.

For example, one of the new features allows users to perform automatic background scans with Windows Defender even if it’s not the default anti-virus solution running on a Windows 10 device, thus making sure that no malware reaches your data.

New gaming features in Anniversary Update
The gaming side of Windows 10 is also being improved significantly, and most of the new features bring together the PC and the Xbox for a unified experience for gamers. The Xbox Play Anywhere tool makes it possible to play a game on Xbox and PC with shared progress, game saves, and achievements, so you can start playing on one device and continue from where you left off on another.

Cortana also becomes available on Xbox, and it lets you perform a wide array of activities and even turn on the console by saying “Hey Cortana, Xbox On.”

Keep in mind that the Anniversary Update rollout takes place in stages, so it might not become available on your PC the second Microsoft pushes the green button. In this case, you’re recommended to wait a little bit longer until the new bits can be downloaded via Windows Update or turn to the dedicated ISO to perform an upgrade or a clean install

W

Wave

Thanks for sharing! I was actually really oblivious of the new updates.. and didn't even know of an Anniversary update until now (dumb of me haha) :D Somehow I ignored all the attention everywhere about it o_O:oops: hopefully the update rolls out for me quickly :)

Cannot wait to use the extensions for MS Edge!.. :)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Same here! I only hope that this goes off without a hitch as we have seen in many updates.
I think it will be a welcome upgrade to an already excellent operating system

The only worry I have is that VirtualBox stops working or encounter difficulties after the upgrade, but if it happens, Oracle should be pretty quick in fixing it.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I seem to be in a very small minority here,In the sense that I don't understand the eagerness and excitement for this "Anniversary Update"o_O I'm dreading updating personally..
I am a cautious & analytical fellow by nature,and would rather watch the first few waves of "Cliff Divers" jump first,so that I can gauge the depth of the water and the strength of the wind.
For me the next few days will entail cataloguing the numerous problems faced by many of those that update,so that I can formulate a strategy to both avoid the problems of others,and reassess my telemetry blocking options.

O

Omnipotent

I seem to be in a very small minority here,In the sense that I don't understand the eagerness and excitement for this "Anniversary Update"o_O I'm dreading updating personally..
I am a cautious & analytical fellow by nature,and would rather watch the first few waves of "Cliff Divers" jump first,so that I can gauge the depth of the water and the strength of the wind.
For me the next few days will entail cataloguing the numerous problems faced by many of those that update,so that I can formulate a strategy to both avoid the problems of others,and reassess my telemetry blocking options.
Oh boy this new update is a mess, so many things i have to disable, avast is blocking a windows update file with its file reputation feature, windows defender automatically disabling avast, dont update yet haha.

O

Omnipotent

Installation was a bit of a mess.. Got stuck on a restart loop twice. However, it eventually installed without any problems. Antivirus is fine, Windows Defender turned itself off (Turned on Limited Periodic Scanning)..

Although, Internet Explorer keeps popping up as outdated on Avast and it's getting pretty annoying. o_O
Did Avast File Reputation block a windows connection? Look at my recent post in the Avast section, this weird thing just happened to me.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Forgive me for being forgetful but didn't the upgrade stop in July?
Well it seems not so, I just fired my old laptop which has windows 8 and went to my C: drive and it looks like windows 10 is downloading?

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 374
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.