Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The update fails to install on some computers, users claim
Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 cumulative update KB3097617 earlier today and the first reports pointing to problems experienced during installation or even after that are already reaching the web.

For example, a number of users who turned to Microsoft's Community forums explain that KB3097617 fails to install on their PCs, undoes all changes and then restarts the machine, pushing it in an infinite reboot loop just like it happened with previous cumulative updates.

Microsoft user Darkc0de explains what happens on his Windows 10 computer:

“The update is just not installing, after asking for a restart windows update, initializes goes till 30% Then PC restarts and from 30, goes till 54% and restarts again this time it says We Could Not complete undoing changes and updates 2- 3 Team PC restarts again saying undoing changes and finally PC starts.”

Error messages and other issues
Another user who experienced the very same problem when trying to install this new cumulative update also received an error that displayed the following message:

“There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800705b4).”

What's more, we've heard from users who actually managed to install KB3097617 that a number of Windows 10 features fail to work correctly after that, including the Start menu and Cortana.

It's not a secret that cumulative updates released by Microsoft for Windows 10 usually cause various problems on a number of computers, but it turns out that Redmond really has a hard time preventing these from happening, despite the fact that it should perform thorough testing internally before actually going public with the patches.

For the moment, there is no known fully working fix for these problems, but we've reached out to Microsoft to ask for more information on this and will update the article should we get a resolution.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I'm lucky again!
I installed this update earlier today, and I didn't face any problems. Yay!
Same here but it seems to me that these problems have become much more prevalent as of late and not just on the Windows 10 OS

Reactions: XhenEd

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are all updates on Windows 10 cumulative?

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I had no problems on my end with my laptop.

But my desktop wont install this update (Avast free).

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For sure there are conflicted issues that makes Windows Update corrupt the installation process, if we will consider in simple logic then brand new OS that installed on their laptop/desktop should not possess any problems at all.

@Huracan : Well not always, the reason of having cumulative updates are massive bug fixes and other stuffs. Security vulnerabilities are still at present as separate patches.

Reactions: Ink and XhenEd

Maxxx58

Level 13
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Does it related with ESET problems on some users machines
wIUwWmM.png

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Glad I have it hidden for a while, I never install anything without reading outhere and waiting a bit.

PD: Thank's to windows update minitool makes it easier than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.