Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3197954 Fails to Install as Well

Windows 10 cumulative updates are certainly pretty helpful for the majority of users running Microsoft’s latest OS version, but at the same time, they are turning into sort of nightmare for others who can’t simply install them successfully.

Issues with Windows 10 cumulative updates have been around for a while, and Microsoft has tried to fix them on several occasions, but for some reason, they keep coming back pretty much in the same form.

KB3197954 makes no exception, and after being pushed to Windows 10 users last week, it appears that it fails to install on a number of machines due to a cause that’s yet to be determined.

More than just installation issues
Posts on Microsoft’s Community forums are pointing towards various problems experienced with cumulative update KB3197954, including system freezes, but in most of the cases, it’s the typical “failing to install” issue that makes it impossible for some users to deploy the patch on their computers.

“Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3197954) keeps failing to install on my system. The install starts fine but while restarting claims the install has failed and reverts everything. Windows update history only tells me that the update ‘failed to install,’” one user is reporting, adding that the error that he gets is “Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Update for Windows (KB3197954).”

Microsoft is yet to acknowledge these issues, but judging from the number of reports that are currently online, it seems that a fix would be needed this time as well.

For the moment, however, given the fact that we’re just one week away from Patch Tuesday when Microsoft is projected to release new cumulative updates, a fix might not be released. Since these updates are cumulative, installing the latest one always brings a computer fully up-to-date, so even if you’re experiencing issues with this one, successfully installing the next should do the job.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Mine installed just fine. Although, as @SHvFl said, it took a while to install for me too. Around 10 minutes - even though I use an SSD. :s
Yeah same. Don't know why it took so long on an ssd. Tbh all cumulative updates usually take a bit which i don't understand but this time it was way more.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
No issues on my main PC (installed the 29/10/2016 - France time)
This got me looking, and mine was installed on the 28th, what gives ?
Are they staggering these out. It still was not available to me so I was confused
so I went looking and sure enough there it was in the update history for the 28th.
I am assuming all went well lol, it's listed as "successful"
Update_SS_11012016.png

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Are they staggering these out. It still was not available to me so I was confused
so I went looking and sure enough there it was in the update history for the 28th.
Update_SS_11012016.png
The same for me.That might be good or bad depending on how it goes :D
I prefer the auto updates on Windows 10 as opposed to previous operating systems especially 7.
Now that I have replaced the ROG,my only problem child,knock on wood every update has gone smoothly.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Update_SS_11012016.png
Mine all were installed on the 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.