Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4493509 Causing System Slowdowns, Other Issues

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Users are now reporting issues with Windows 10 cumulative update KB4493509, which was published on April 9 as the Patch Tuesday release for version 1809 (October 2018 Update).

While Microsoft has only acknowledged two different issues in this cumulative update, I’m seeing various reports of substantial PC slowdowns, freezes, and system hangs after installing KB4493509.
Several Windows 10 users complain that this cumulative update made their computers unresponsive especially on the first boot after the install. Others say they experience occasional freezes, with certain features like the right-click context menu on the desktop apparently broken down.

A post on Microsoft Community forums, as well as several messages on TenForums indicate that KB4493509 sometimes causes occasional freezes despite a seemingly successful installation.

“After a few hours of use after the update, the entire machine locked up, mouse & all. Could not enter Task Manager, held power button until it shut off. Event Viewer indicates many DCOM errors,”
one use explains, with another one adding the following:

“Exactly what happened to me too. I pushed reset button and after boot the computer freezes on the windows login screen. I was able to boot up in safe mode, uninstalled this update, booted normally and everything is working again.”

Removing the update fixes everything
I’m also seeing some isolated reports of issues caused with various antivirus software, but in this case, the problems don’t seem to be as widespread as the ones mentioned above.

Earlier today, Microsoft acknowledged similar system freezes caused by Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 monthly rollups, but no word has been said on a bug hitting Windows 10 cumulative updates.

The only workaround available at this point is to completely remove the update from Safe Mode and then hide it to avoid it from being reoffered to the system. Microsoft hasn’t acknowledged the bugs just yet, so it’s not yet exactly clear what is causing these issues and whether a fix would be shipped.

Source

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Nope....not a joke... I'll even use the spare Windows 8.1 license if I have to but not 10....I tried 10 previously two times and every time after a major version update I had to clean install the OS plus it's my PC...I get to decide which updates I want and when I want...10 just shoves the automatic updates through my throat. I'm sorry if I sound rude but I'm one of those few who have joined the Windows 10 haters club. I'll move to 8.1 or even Linux distros like Ubuntu but I'll never install 10 (unless my PC doesn't come pre-installed with it). In windows 7 and 8.1 at least I can choose the updates that I want to install and to be honest I've never had a problem with windows 7 updates till now(praise the lord)

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
LOL it seems like Microsoft doesn't like smooth running PC users

iu

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
and to be honest I've never had a problem with windows 7 updates till now
Maybe MS releases botched updates for 7/8 on purpose, so people would finally move to Windows 10. :emoji_expressionless:
I just do no recall any problematic Vista/7/8 update, ever, but 10 has it every single time and it is getting worse.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Smooth update here as well. Sure, this update affected some systems but this story is being blown way out of proportion. Another click-bait story. I would love to see the numbers of affected users - on W7, 8.1 and 10. On 10 it appears to be those with Avira or some other AV, but in no way is it all other AVs. Please don't make this out to be more than it is.

If you think you're upset now with Windows, install Linux and let the real fun begin. :emoji_fingers_crossed::emoji_pray:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
With Windows 7, 8/and 8.1 you can disable auto update and choose to update manually and select with update you want to install. Unlike Windows 10, it will shove all Microsoft updates down your throat. I'm speaking for the home version and not the Pro. With Windows 10 Pro, you can disable auto update but not on Windows 10 Home.

L

Local Host

I agree, seems rushed and blown out of proportion, like it always happens with Windows 10. By that I mean this entire news article.

Would also like to point out that both Windows 7 and 8 also had update issues during the course of their life, the only difference is they weren't blown out of proportion like the media do with Windows 10.

As for me, another update that went without issues.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Many who stick with XP, 7 & 8.... it's like a self-denial-of-service attack.

It's often based on rumors, FUD, negatively hyped up articles... incorrect perceptions.

It's much like the negativity surrounding Vista -- a lot was just negative bandwagoning.

Windows 10 is by far the most flexible, nimble, and safest. Not saying there are no growing pains.... there are.

v

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
With Windows 7, 8/and 8.1 you can disable auto update and choose to update manually and select with update you want to install. Unlike Windows 10, it will shove all Microsoft updates down your throat. I'm speaking for the home version and not the Pro. With Windows 10 Pro, you can disable auto update but not on Windows 10 Home.
This is precisely what I hate about 10. I can't choose what updates to install and what's to ignore. It'll shove them all down. I recall a faulty Nvidia driver problem through WU. My PC would BSOD after restarting. I reverted back using system restore but since you cannot choose what update to install the driver got installed again without warning. I'm still willing to try out 10 if I can manually select the updates that I want to install. MS has no right to dictate me what updates I should install.

If you think you're upset now with Windows, install Linux and let the real fun begin.
I have Ubuntu installed alongwith Windows 10 in my college laptop although they are installed in different SSD.

Many who stick with XP, 7 & 8.... it's like a self-denial-of-service attack.

It's often based on rumors, FUD, negatively hyped up articles... incorrect perceptions.

It's much like the negativity surrounding Vista -- a lot was just negative bandwagoning.

Windows 10 is by far the most flexible, nimble, and safest. Not saying there are no growing pains.... there are.

View attachment 212285v
I'll try out version 1903 in my VM once it's released. If it's stable enough and there are no borked updates I'll upgrade my win 7 but unless I find that WU is stable in 10 like they're in 7 I won't install 10 in my main PC.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
This is precisely what I hate about 10. I can't choose what updates to install and what's to ignore. It'll shove them all down. I recall a faulty Nvidia driver problem through WU. My PC would BSOD after restarting. I reverted back using system restore but since you cannot choose what update to install the driver got installed again without warning. I'm still willing to try out 10 if I can manually select the updates that I want to install. MS has no right to dictate me what updates I should install.

I have Ubuntu installed alongwith Windows 10 in my college laptop although they are installed in different SSD.

I'll try out version 1903 in my VM once it's released. If it's stable enough and there are no borked updates I'll upgrade my Windows 7 but unless I find that WU is stable in 10 like they're in 7 I won't install 10 in my main PC.

I know there is a registry hack that allow you to enable Windows 10 Pro Group Policy Editor on Windows 10 Home. If I do that and let say next Microsoft updates bogus my system, people on here will going to blame for my end because I did some changes on my system.

I will wait till Linux gets matured than I will ditch Windows 10 and Microsoft OS for real.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
With Windows 10 Pro, you can disable auto update but not on Windows 10 Home.
Since im on win 10 pro i can't realy test it for home but with some luck it also works on pro.
Atleast in win 10 pro you can disable "driver updates" so no forced gpu drivers. I think it also disables/delays "feature updates" but can't find it now that im looking for it :D Didn't had any problem with it but a backup before trying new software is never wrong.

L

Local Host

Since im on Windows 10 pro i can't realy test it for home but with some luck it also works on pro.
Atleast in Windows 10 pro you can disable "driver updates" so no forced gpu drivers. I think it also disables/delays "feature updates" but can't find it now that im looking for it :D Didn't had any problem with it but a backup before trying new software is never wrong.
You can disable drivers updates in every Windows Version (no need for GPEDIT either), same goes for not installing certain updates that can be hidden even in the Home Version.

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'll try out version 1903 in my VM once it's released. If it's stable enough and there are no borked updates I'll upgrade my Windows 7 but unless I find that WU is stable in 10 like they're in 7 I won't install 10 in my main PC.

This reply is to others as well as yourself. I think many of the update issues are related to 1809 specifically, which was clearly the worst roll-out for MS. I find it mildly buggy compared to earlier versions. I just upgraded this W7 machine to 1809 in the last month and had no problems at all. I anticipate that 1903 will be smooth for myself and most others.

The only problem I ever had was updating to 1607, after our PC had not been used in a long time and was way out of date. That fix was not a big deal except that I was much less experienced than I am now.

To all W10 doubters: "Come over to the DARK side!" :LOL:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Windscribe stopped working for me. It says that my TAP driver is missing. I'm installing but it's shown as Unknown Device. I'm so glad I have my Chromebook as a backup. The state of Windows in comparison is a disaster.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
For the first time I'm considering going Insider in my work computer. The latest update is freezing my computer when I use certain programs such as Directory Opus. Right click will also freeze the machine and force an Explorer restart.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.