Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4493509 Causing System Slowdowns, Other Issues

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
For the first time I'm considering going Insider in my work computer. The latest update is freezing my computer when I use certain programs such as Directory Opus. Right click will also freeze the machine and force an Explorer restart.
Do you use Avast or Avira?

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Incompatibility with 3rd party AV seems to be the main cause. I wonder if MS rolls out these updates without even testing them.

Reactions: SumTingWong
L

Local Host

Incompatibility with 3rd party AV seems to be the main cause. I wonder if MS rolls out these updates without even testing them.
Companies not following Microsoft Documentation, hooking into the kernel using hacks that are the problem. As always, Kaspersky has no problems with this update.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Companies not following Microsoft Documentation, hooking into the kernel using hacks that are the problem. As always, Kaspersky has no problems with this update.
A user posted that he was having problems after the update. He has KIS and MBAM. Users of ESET IS and Norton Security also shared their problems.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Microsoft always blame the antivirus company to prove Microsoft is innocent here.

Yet to see any problems on PCs with Kaspersky, can only speak for W10 though.
Windows is Slower After April 2019 Updates According to Users
Normally when a user has an antivirus program, Windows defender will disable its real time protection. It seem for this user at least, Windows Defender is being enabled automatically even though the user had Avira installed on the machine.
Having two antivirus programs performing real-time protection could definitely cause slowdowns and other issues.
At this time there is nothing from Microsoft that states they are aware of the reported issues. The only reference to Windows being slow since the updates is from a support article posted yesterday by Avira that is simply titled "Why does my system run very slow?".

Possibility WD connection issue.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Blame? Didn't those AV companies confirmed the issues?

Windows is Slower After April 2019 Updates According to Users

"It seem for this user at least, Windows Defender is being enabled automatically even though the user had Avira installed on the machine. "

One user experience WD enabled auto even 3rd party security software is already installed on the machine. WD could be a suspect here.

Microsoft Windows 10 Updates quality gone down the hill like the company is in bankruptcy stage.

No wonder some people stuck in older build because it is more stable.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Updated:
Freezes in operation are more likely to impact business PCs as it impacts Cluster Shared Volumes (CSVs), though the lock-ups which “may cause the system to become unresponsive upon restart after installing this update” are caused by conflicts with antivirus software. Microsoft calls out ArcaBit, but in TenForums a number of other brands seem to be affected too.
Microsoft Issues Serious Windows 10 Update Warning
Microsoft KB:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4493509/windows-10-update-kb4493509

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
This update cannot be installed on my virtual machine. Well, probably it's more the fault of VirtualBox. Does anyone have this too?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-04-19 17-52-54.png
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-04-19 17-52-54.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 383
  • Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-04-19 17-55-01.png
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-04-19 17-55-01.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 381
Reactions: oldschool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No idea what my last update was, but I was unable to boot into Windows - Error 0x00021a or something along those lines.
  • Automatic Repair did not resolve the issue
  • CHKDSK /F /R did not resolve the issue
  • SFC /SCANNOW did not resolve the issue
Solution: Uninstall latest Quality update

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.