Dockable 'Windows News Bar' for Windows 10 - Beta

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Microsoft is releasing a new app for Windows 10 called the "Windows News Bar" that will display a docked bar containing news stories from Microsoft News and acts as a stock picker for monitored stocks.

Previously spotted by Windows sleuth WalkingCat in February, the Microsoft Store page has been recently been updated with screenshots of the actual program in use. The News Bar is being developed through Microsoft News where they state that the offered news will be shown from over 4,500 news outlets.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I think it would be useful to be able to display natural disaster prediction warnings instead of news. The function of receiving alarms in Japan such as typhoons and earthquakes is commonly used.
And it is displayed in television .I remember I was watching anime once and the warning popped up in the screen 😂😂 I was about to run .they ruined my enjoying for the episode 😂😂😂

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015

God, that looks like something you get with adware!

I hope that will stay an app.
At least it's not forced, yet.

The other day Google forced a corona virus news video to all the Android phones (keep in mind I don't even have the news app enabled on my phone).
What video? Never saw any Google COVID-19 video, neither did I get it on my phone.
I think it would be useful to be able to display natural disaster prediction warnings instead of news. The function of receiving alarms in Japan such as typhoons and earthquakes is commonly used.
We don't need warning bar either. Notifications would be enough for that.

And, a lot of countries have some sort of warning system in place. I, actually, never saw any warning on television, radio or even mobile phone, but that could be because Croatia doesn't really experiences natural disasters that often. Just for the reference, the strong earthquake that rocked Zagreb in the morning of 22nd March, hasn't happened since 1880. And last floods we had were in 2014. due to huge rainfall.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

My country already covers that through a national program which sends warning SMS, I don't need a third-party forcing videos and news articles down my throat.

Especially a company from the USA, were the media is extremely manipulative and lacks facts.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I prefer the Action Centre for these MSN News alerts.

Hidden from sight, but can be viewed on-demand.

1587739794652.png

And not distracting at all.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.