SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Windows 10 Enterprise is to be subscription only.

Monthly fees will come for homes users too. It is just a matter of time.
Everything will eventually be a monthly fee. Easy way to squeeze money out of people. I really hope they combine it with office 365 because paying $60 for that and extra $60 for windows will be sad for me.

ozone

Level 3
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
That is for business. They are not going to price them the same way for home users because not many will pay $20 per month per pc for windows+office and a lot might stick to the version they have or eventually move to linux. That scenario would hurt their enterprise sales because if users are familiar with linux no reason to pay for windows as a company. Money sadly don't grow on trees for most of us.

Thread author
That is for business. They are not going to price them the same way for home users because not many will pay $20 per month per pc for windows+office and a lot might stick to the version they have or eventually move to linux. That scenario would hurt their enterprise sales because if users are familiar with linux no reason to pay for windows as a company. Money sadly don't grow on trees for most of us.

Even if they charge less, it will annoy most users that they will have to setup Microsoft accounts and have recurring payments.

So Microsoft and it's cronie subcontractors will have billions (maybe 1/4 or more of the entire world's population) of credit card and other personal data distributed across their servers. All, big, juicy hack targets. LOL... watch, you'll see that argument sooner or later.

Watch the movie "The Circle." In Microsoft's own way, what is in that movie is Microsoft's agenda.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Even if they charge less, it will annoy most users that they will have to setup Microsoft accounts and have recurring payments.

So Microsoft and it's cronie subcontractors will have billions (maybe 1/4 or more of the entire world's population) of credit card and other personal data distributed across their servers. All, big, juicy hack targets. LOL... watch, you'll see that argument sooner or later.
In most cases though data will be more safe with microsoft than with most business IT personnel. And people who care about MS having their credit cards they should also delete their amazon accounts. Lots of people are paranoid when their data are already out there with a million more insecure ways.
Companies need to make money or else they go out of business. Paying monthly makes investors and owners happy so it's a good model for them because it helps you identify a companies value easily.
I personally don't mind paying for office+windows when we already have spotify/netflix/etc that i consider less important and millions of people pay monthly. I just need a price that i don't feel i got scammed. Probably around the $60/year.device for both will be fine considering the amount of devices most people own.

Meant to watch the movie at some point. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:

Thread author
In most cases though data will be more safe with microsoft than with most business IT personnel. And people who care about MS having their credit cards they should also delete their amazon accounts. Lots of people are paranoid when their data are already out there with a million more insecure ways.
Companies need to make money or else they go out of business. Paying monthly makes investors and owners happy so it's a good model for them because it helps you identify a companies value easily.
I personally don't mind paying for office+windows when we already have spotify/netflix/etc that i consider less important and millions of people pay monthly. I just need a price that i don't feel i got scammed. Probably around the $60/year.device for both will be fine considering the amount of devices most people own.

When Windows goes subscription-only, people will freak-out. I would not be surprised to see Windows piracy increase and people going back to 8.1 and earlier if they are still able to do so. At some point in the future (later than sooner), I would not be surprised if Microsoft permanently deactivates all pre-10 keys.

Anyway, as I see it, the cost of Windows is built-into systems - that's at least one reason why we're already paying through the nose for new OEM PCs.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Everything will eventually be a monthly fee. Easy way to squeeze money out of people. I really hope they combine it with office 365 because paying $60 for that and extra $60 for windows will be sad for me.

About 30 years ago my father (a shrewd, successful business man) told me there would come a time when everything has a subscription. He said this business model was largely new (back then aside from utilities and such) but that eventually every company would do it. I remember him telling me that if something can be measured or metered they will find a way to charge you for it. If they could properly measure and control air, they'd sell it to you. Anything that is invented that utilizes something that can't be properly measured or meter will be suppressed in favor of things that can. He was right.. Even rainwater is regulated in some areas..

Nevertheless, many years ago when I entered the corporate world it was clear they 'hungered' for more residual income like this. It's predictable for companies. You can't buy something and disappear for a few years. You are beholden to them. It's power, control and wealth to them. Eventually our entire world will operate on a monthly fee for everything.. Subscriptions for cars are already in the works (GM) and someday you may not even be able to outright buy a car and own it.

Heck, it's hard to find a really nice UTM/NGFW these days without a subscription fee. PfSense doesn't count and is in maintenance mode after Chris left. Trust me, the opensource UTM field is very dim right now and growing dimmer by the year. So if you want a real UTM you are paying someone like Fortinet - yup - a subscription fee...

Lockdown has a good point about deactivating older windows. Which may result in a huge increase in piracy of Windows or it could spark enough outrage to drive an alternative operating system with enough backing to actually gain ground.

This thread is timely for me. I'm what many people would consider a wealthy person. However I am sick of giving away so much of my money on things that should largely be a buy-once proposition. I'm moving away from dumping so much into subscriptions, hence why I switched to Forticlient+Voodoo.. Hence why I purchased lifetime licenses for StickyPassword. I'm slowly chipping away at these unnecessary expenses because the business model annoys me as I know it dramatically favors the greedy. Now what to do about my 4 Galaxy s8 phones and $300 a month payment.... Maybe someone can convince my wife and kids they don't need them... :rolleyes: I already dropped my 1000Mbps/1000Mbps connection down to a peasantry 300/300 knocking $100 a month off that residual monthly anal probe and don't even notice the speed drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I will never pay a monthly fee for windows, in fact I loath paying monthly fees for anything, this may drive more to Linux if they do start charging home users fees

Agreed. As a gamer I never took Linux seriously but this may drive me in that direction and I will just move my gaming to a console or mame cabinet. :D Speaking of this, another good benefit of this thread. I reminded me to cancel my Ccleaner Cloud account which renews next month. Moving to one of the many free automated cleanup/maint. tools available, some of which I already have lifetime codes for. There's another $5 a month in savings.

Like Ortho, I am coming to loathe subscriptions more and more.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
If they are doing this to Home and Pro users, Google and Apple will jump in and happily scoop up the new users. There is no way they will do this to regular consumers. They charge businesses and use the money to subsidize Home/Pro. In return, enterprise licenses get more features such as Windows Defender ATP.

But you know what, they might attempt to do so and then you get something like Xbone where they tried to make it an always-online experience where you must activate games online etc... Yeah that worked so well.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
If they are doing this to Home and Pro users, Google and Apple will jump in and happily scoop up the new users. There is no way they will do this to regular consumers. They charge businesses and use the money to subsidize Home/Pro. In return, enterprise licenses get more features such as Windows Defender ATP.

But you know what, they might attempt to do so and then you get something like Xbone where they tried to make it an always-online experience where you must activate games online etc... Yeah that worked so well.

Or perhaps the home users will be subjected to telemetry gathering, spying and advertising far beyond the 'paid' version. Which could potentially result in people switching OS, running third party privacy restoring tools, pirating or whatever.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Anyone remember the Steam box? It didn't become popular, but with the knowledge now, I feel it could become something. Also, Google with Android based OSes could step up with a full fledged OS. They already have so many cloud services to incorporate. Who knows what Linux devs could developed if pushed. But it does sound like MS has begun the kind of push that will start others moving forward who wouldn't have previously...

IMO, MS is dangling by a thread...VB in Office. If anyone could win people over to go with another macro language for their office suites, MS would be sunk.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Anyone remember the Steam box? It didn't become popular, but with the knowledge now, I feel it could become something. Also, Google with Android based OSes could step up with a full fledged OS. They already have so many cloud services to incorporate. Who knows what Linux devs could developed if pushed. But it does sound like MS has begun the kind of push that will start others moving forward who wouldn't have previously...

IMO, MS is dangling by a thread...VB in Office. If anyone could win people over to go with another macro language for their office suites, MS would be sunk.

I'd happily run AndroidOS as my primary OS. Heck, I use AMIDuos today to run AndroidOS on my desktop where I access a huge array of applications and games. With some development, and ability for it to utilize modern GPU's, I'd make the switch. Sadly, as a gamer, Windows is still king.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
i seriously feel microsoft is on mission self-destruct. seems like deja vu when i think of a company called nokia.

businesses & firms do not want the headache of paying monthly. monthly subscriptions are a big no-no for them.

@Lockdown,

The Circle is the future or should i say it is the agenda.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Or perhaps the home users will be subjected to telemetry gathering, spying and advertising far beyond the 'paid' version. Which could potentially result in people switching OS, running third party privacy restoring tools, pirating or whatever.
This is more likely. I think they will put more ads inside the Home version and have them be their guinea pigs so that they can refine the Enterprise version.

Also like @ravi prakash saini mentioned. Free Windows 10 is like the government's free phone program. The US government most likely wants everyone to have Windows 10 so that they can keep track of people. The worst thing to happen to the US would be a foreign operating system becoming mainstream OR fragmentation where you have people actually using different OSes with different kernels making mass surveillance far more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.