Windows 10 Last-Call. Did you get the free upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimmay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Get Windows 10 no charge until December 31, 2017 if accessibility technologies are required to use a PC.

It's an Upgrade to existing Windows 7 machine, takes about 3 hours, non destructive! Your computer will look and work exactly as before, with all software and activation's in place. At no time is any personal information entered.

Get Windows 10 no charge until December 31, 2017 if accessibility technologies are required to use a PC.

It's an Upgrade to existing Windows 7 machine, takes about 3 hours, non destructive! Your computer will look and work exactly as before, with all software and activation's in place. At no time is any personal information entered.

Upgrading to Windows 10 is not without risk as some Windows users have found out - and Microsoft has been forced to admit. Hence the high-profile lawsuits against Microsoft due to the Windows 10 upgrades forced upon users that did not want the upgrade - with permanently damaged hardware and\or data loss as result of the upgrade.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for the info cimmay! (y)

For Windows 7 and 8 it's still a few years left :

rp6JjBWi_o.png

Last edited:

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Actually, no one needs to use this accessibility technology offer; in order to upgrade to Windows 10, all you need is to install Windows 10 from DVD or USB and insert your original Windows 7/8 key and that's all, you get Windows activated with the digital licence. The real question is whether Microsoft is going to close this loophole, which I suspect they will...

cimmay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Besides, I'm a little lazy about formatting. is the least he likes to do.

For upgrade you just click a few buttons, continue your work on Win 7, then in a few hours the upgrade is finished, on the same machine you were using! Once restarted the desktop is same as before, no reinstalling anything or searching for programs. Connecting anything wireless takes a few seconds. No nagging, no registrations. If I reinstalled Win 7 it would have taken 1 or 2 weeks to get things restored, this took 3 hours.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Undoubtedly windows 10 is safer, but we are even more Windows 7 users. And it has support until 2020. I'll think about it till then.
Besides, I'm a little lazy about formatting. is the least he likes to do.

Me too mate, too many scare stories out there about upgrading, my laptop will probably be dead by the time support has finished for my W7 so until then i am staying with what i have ..... but i am just a big scaredy cat rather than lazy ;)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
So what are the advantages (besides telemetry). I've got no gripes with 8.1 (other than I somehow messed up my ability to cast my screen to my Samsung HDTV).
Security is huge plus. Just remember that all patched Windows 10 PCs weren't affected by WannaCry ransomware.

Sooner or later, you'll have to upgrade to Windows 10. Until 31 of December 2017, you can make an upgrade to get a free key and then go back to Windows 8.1. Once you've got the upgrade key, it's connected to your motherboard. That means that you will be able to reinstall Windows as much times as you'd like without entering the key and it'll be activated. You can even save key with Microsoft account, so you'll still be able to activate Windows even if you change your motherboard.

In case you still don't like the new Windows 10, you can go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery and go back to Windows 8.1 (if you didn't delete windows.old folder after upgrade).

Also, keep in mind that even if you use Windows 7 or 8.1, there's a chance that you already got telemetry. It's active in Windows 7 and 8.1 and it comes with some updates.

cimmay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
n case you still don't like the new Windows 10, you can go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery and go back to Windows 8.1 (if you didn't delete windows.old folder after upgrade).

MS may have changed this, but in the early release days of Win 10, the backup OS was invalid after 30 days and the license was void.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
MS may have changed this, but in the early release days of Win 10, the backup OS was invalid after 30 days and the license was void.

Not entirely true. If I recall correctly, you had 30 days to roll back to your previous OS, but neither your current or previous licence would be void; once you upgraded, the store licence was permanent (unless you make changes to your motherboard or something else, though)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
After upgrade, you still have 30 days to go back to previous version of Windows. I don't think there should be any problems with license. Even if you encounter any problems, you can always contact Microsoft so they can help you.

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Upgrading to Windows 10 is not without risk as some Windows users have found out - and Microsoft has been forced to admit. Hence the high-profile lawsuits against Microsoft due to the Windows 10 upgrades forced upon users that did not want the upgrade - with permanently damaged hardware and\or data loss as result of the upgrade.
Just curious, what danage was done to hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.