Advice Request Windows 10 Mail app or Thunderbird?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Windows 10 Mail app or Thunderbird?

• Windows 10 Mail app

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Thunderbird

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Other program (Please comment)

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters

lobo001

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 26, 2017

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For maximum features, Outlook 365 is the best for home/business purposes.
  • Office 365 subscription required
  • Subscription offers latest and most secure version, up to 5 devices**
  • Gets the newest "simplified" ribbon UI (looks great!)
  • Read more [What's new in Outlook 2019 for Windows]
For ease of use & simplicity, use Outlook.com (web mail)
  • Use from any modern browser on PC/Mobile
For basic email access, use Mail app.
  • May lack many features and customisation options
If interested, Mailbird offer free and paid plans, see Pricing for comparison.

For mobile;
  • Apple Mail app on iOS
  • Gmail app on Android and iOS
  • Outlook app on Android and iOS

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Go for Interlink. Similar to Thunderbird, but more reliable and privacy-conscious.
Yeah, sure.
From the strange "Matt A. Tobin" guy from Pale Moon team who is so cool with his "Binary Outcast"
No thanks.

Just take a search at GitHub about him and you will know what i mean.
Also this is a (outdated) Thunderbird fork from one guy. And instead of using up2date Thunderbird engine, he use the outdated Pale Moon source.
Security related such a project is a desaster.

I vote for (original) Thunderbird. Sadly it doesn't exist a AppContainer Store version.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Most secure email clients (applications installed in the system) for happy clickers are: Outlook, Thunderbird, PostBox, Mail for Windows 10 (Windows app), and Spike.
Anyway, Outlook is a part of MS Office which is the most vulnerable & exploited office suite, so it is probably not advisable for the home users.

The user can run executables directly from Spike, but they are downloaded with MOTW and checked by SmartScreen AppRep. Others do not allow running executables, the files are only downloaded to disk without execution. ThunderBird and PostBox download files with MOTW, so they are checked by SmartScreen AppRep when running from hard disk. Outlook and Mail for Windows 10, block executable attachments, so they cannot be even downloaded to disk.

Other popular email clients like Foxmail, Mailbird, Mailspring, Hiri, allow executing files directly from the application and the file is not checked by SmartScreen.

Last edited:

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
Most secure email clients (applications installed in the system) for happy clickers are: Outlook, Thunderbird, PostBox, Mail for Windows 10 (Windows app), and Spike.
Agreed. I've been using Spike of recent, for testing purposes and I have to admit, it does make things a lot easier. Still needs a few things ironed out, but overall an easier mailing experience.

ErzCrz

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Anyway, Outlook is a part of MS Office which is the most vulnerable & exploited office suite, so it is probably not advisable for the home users.

The user can run executables directly from Spike, but they are downloaded with MOTW and checked by SmartScreen AppRep. Others do not allow running executables, the files are only downloaded to disk without execution. ThunderBird and PostBox download files with MOTW, so they are checked by SmartScreen AppRep when running from hard disk. Outlook and Mail for Windows 10, block executable attachments, so they cannot be even downloaded to disk.

Other popular email clients like Foxmail, Mailbird, Mailspring, Hiri, allow executing files directly from the application and the file is not checked by SmartScreen.

Thanks for this insight. Realized today I am using an unsupported version of old Outlook 2013 for home emails. Looks like I'll move to Mail for Windows 10 or Thunderbird.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Thunderbird had also many vulnerabilities.
Probably the safest is Mail for Windows 10 - the smallest number of exploits and works in AppContainer. But, it has only basic features.

ErzCrz

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Probably the safest is Mail for Windows 10 - the smallest number of exploits and works in AppContainer. But, it has only basic features.

Thanks. I went with built-in Windows 10 Mail in the end. Works fine.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Well a list of CVEs doesn't mean the program is insecure. Every program have that

Also as you say the windows 10 mail only provide basic features and one of the biggest is that display html mails can't be disabled

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
On PC i use Interlink Mail New + software email monitor.
The email monitor allows me to delete all suspicious emails directly from the server, without therefore local download.

For mobile

For my certified e-mail I use a specific app on my smartphone.
Tutanota app.
E-mail app.

Reactions: harlan4096

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Well a list of CVEs doesn't mean the program is insecure. Every program have that
Yes. It only means that from two programs with similar popularity, the one with far more and serious vulnerabilities can be probably less secure. The example of Thunderbird and Windows Mail is a good example. Thunderbird has more features and more system privileges, so it has to have a bigger attack surface, as compared to Windows Mail. Of course, Thunderbird is one of the best email clients, too.

Also as you say the windows 10 mail only provide basic features and one of the biggest is that display html mails can't be disabled
Do you think that it is dangerous for Apps in AppContainer?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.