Troubleshoot Win 10 No Safe Mode, Login to black screen

bradcarvey

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2017
Webroot found 2 trojan horse virus and remove them. Rebooted found more and removed them, then rebooted, to a black screen. 500 Gbyte SSD Scandisk extreme pro.

I can boot into advanced options, but startup options is not available (no safe mode).

Used my rescue disk to enter cmd line and used things like scannow, chkdsk and diskprt to test the disk. Not errors listed.

Used rescue disk to try to reset windows while saving my data... Get an error about a missing partition, but diskprt shows an 8 Gbyte partition and an approximately 480 Gbyte partition, which contains my installation and data.

Used windows 10 install disk to reset the os, got a missing partition error.

I used a similar SSD and did a clean install of Windows, to verify that the bios and hardware are ok. Having trouble getting the ASUS Sabertooth x79 audio working. Driver issues.

I ran Anvi Rescue Disk "Scan", it did not find any Threats on the windows 10 disk.
I then ran "Repair" and it found problems, with everything except Windows Firewall.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you have another computer available, use it to download windows 10 ISO, and make from it a bootable DVD or USB.
Use that for resetting your computer.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If it won't give you a reset option, then choose to install Windows, and a couple steps later, you will get an option to save your personal files.

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Run this code in a cmd with admin privileges or from the recovery option (cmd) of the OS:
Code:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

Reboot, F8 -> Safe mode

Is this working?

Upvote 0

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Run this code in a cmd with admin privileges or from the recovery option (cmd) of the OS:
Code:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

Reboot, F8 -> Safe mode

Is this working?
if Windows is on an SSD he won't have a chance catching the right time with F8.

but
Code:
bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

will boot into Safe mode automatically and he can disable it in msconfig afterwards.

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017

He has 30 seconds by default (the countdown Microsoft implemented) to press F8.
If he feels that 30 secs are not enough, he can changed that as well: Changing the Boot Menu Time-out

The default time-out is independent of hardware, it doesn't matter if he has an SSD.
Also, he would skip the other options as well, if he needs it (safemode with networking, for example), as your suggestion always gets him into safemode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You may need to do a clean install of Windows 10 following Webroot's fiasco last week.

Have you contacted Webroot's Support or Forum to check for a possible solution?

Otherwise get the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10, select ISO and it'll download the latest version (build 1703) Creators Update. Burn to USB stick wth Rufus.
I agree seeing he has tried repairing the file system to no avail.
He could go down the lengthy road of replacing or rebuilding the boot menu , but if the corruption is further
along than even that he will experience more headaches, simpler to just reinstall the OS and pick a alternate
security solution just in case WR was the culprit.
Good Luck ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bradcarvey

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2017
I will go through each suggestion and respond. I made a win 10 install DVD and USB. I write everything down and believe i have tried resetting from advanced options and I tried installing from win 10 SUB, then selecting keep data. But, I will try each suggestion and report results.
I did not try a few of your suggestions. They may help.
I got webroot on 2014 and have had no issues. I will probably switch, when I get things working.
Brad Carvey

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Well, in this case, you'de be better reinstalling Win as the others suggested.
If you need to recover some files first, you should download a recovery disk/iso, boot one of these to gain access to your files and copy them to a safe place. If you're not familiar with Linux (as most of the legal and free ones are Linux based), there are a few others WinPE based.
If you want to go down this road, write me a PM and I will help you out with the details.

Upvote 0

bradcarvey

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2017
If it won't give you a reset option, then choose to install Windows, and a couple steps later, you will get an option to save your personal files.
I got the following error:
"The upgrade option isn't available if you start your computer using Windows install media.
If a copy of Windows is already installed on this computer and you want to upgrade, remove the installation media and restart your computer. After Windows has started normally, insert the installation media and run Windows Setup."

This is a problem, because I can't start Windows "normally".

Brad Carvey

Upvote 0

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Webroot found 2 trojan horse virus and remove them. Rebooted found more and removed them, then rebooted, to a black screen. 500 Gbyte SSD Scandisk extreme pro.

I can boot into advanced options, but startup options is not available (no safe mode).

Used my rescue disk to enter cmd line and used things like scannow, chkdsk and diskprt to test the disk. Not errors listed.

Used rescue disk to try to reset windows while saving my data... Get an error about a missing partition, but diskprt shows an 8 Gbyte partition and an approximately 480 Gbyte partition, which contains my installation and data.

Used windows 10 install disk to reset the os, got a missing partition error.

I used a similar SSD and did a clean install of Windows, to verify that the bios and hardware are ok. Having trouble getting the ASUS Sabertooth x79 audio working. Driver issues.

I ran Anvi Rescue Disk "Scan", it did not find any Threats on the windows 10 disk.
I then ran "Repair" and it found problems, with everything except Windows Firewall.
Wich av did u use?

Upvote 0

bradcarvey

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2017
If you have another computer available, use it to download windows 10 ISO, and make from it a bootable DVD or USB.
Use that for resetting your computer.
Wich av did u use?
I was using Webroot for av.
I used ANVI rescue disk (Linux boot app) to scan and repair threads on the failing windows disk. No threats were found.

Btw, I had "File History" on. I thought it was like Time Machine, but I don't know how to recover the system or files from "File History", without my windows disk booting properly.

Brad Carvey

Upvote 0

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I was using Webroot for av.
I used ANVI rescue disk (Linux boot app) to scan and repair threads on the failing windows disk. No threats were found.

Btw, I had "File History" on. I thought it was like Time Machine, but I don't know how to recover the system or files from "File History", without my windows disk booting properly.

Brad Carvey
Security Alert - Webroot antivirus goes bananas, starts trashing Windows system files
Isnt this the problem?
Then you need to contact support

I had same with norton, contacted support they helped me ;)

Orrrr webroot says you dont know how it works..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bradcarvey

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2017
You may need to do a clean install of Windows 10 following Webroot's fiasco last week.

Have you contacted Webroot's Support or Forum to check for a possible solution?

Otherwise get the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10, select ISO and it'll download the latest version (build 1703) Creators Update. Burn to USB stick wth Rufus.
Did that. Tried repair and install. Repair attempted to repair, but didn't help. Tried install/upgrade to save personal files, failed.

Brad Carvey

Upvote 0

bradcarvey

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2017

but
Code:
bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

will boot into Safe mode automatically and he can disable it in msconfig afterwards.
If I can get the damaged windows drive to boot, I will try this. I have not successfully booted into a black screen today.

Brad Carvey

Upvote 0

bradcarvey

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2017
If I install windows on an identical SSD drive, can I use "File History" to find the File History on the corrupted drive and restore my files and my apps.

One concern with a clean install is that I have apps that require uninstall before I can install them on a new computer. This can be fixed, but it will take time and talking to people to get it done.

Brad Carvey

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.