Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
win10-win7.png

Windows 10 has surpassed Windows 7 for the first time, according to analytics firm StatCounter.

In a presser released today, the company says that according to data gathered in January 2018, Windows 10 reached 42.78% in terms of worldwide internet usage, compared to 41.86% for Windows 7, 8.72% for Windows 8.1, and 3.36% for Windows XP.

Microsoft launched Windows 10 in June 2015, two and a half years ago.

This marks the first time when Windows 10 is ranked as the most popular Windows version in StatCounter's ranking, at least globally. Windows 10 became the leading Windows version in some national markets some time ago. For example, Windows 10 overtook Windows 7 in the UK in June 2016, and in North American in June 2017.

But there's currently no consensus on the numbers. Fellow analytics provider NetMarketShare did not record the same figures. The company still records Windows 7 as the top-ranked Windows version with a market share of 44.81%, followed by Windows 10 at a huge distance of 28.19%. Windows XP is third with 7.27% and Windows 8.1 with 6.41%.

win10-win7-netmarketshare.png

Either way, the trend in NetMarketShare stats is that Windows 7 numbers are going down, while Windows 10 is gaining new users each month.

With Windows 7 end of extended support nearing —January 2020— more and more companies are making the switch to Windows 10.

The StatCounter and NetMArketShare numbers are not extremely accurate, as they only include Windows users that surf the Web, meaning many computers are left off the stat sheet. Nonetheless, these are the best numbers we'll get, as Microsoft has not released any similar figures.

Article Source: Windows 10 Overtakes Windows 7 to Become Most Popular Windows Version

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
What can still be a little alerting is the fact that Windows XP still accounts for about 7.27% ~ 10% according to this studys. I get there is a ton of old software out there and possible CNCs that operate on this legacy OS, but can we say WOWZERS! XP accounts for more than Windows 8.1 which is at 6.41% or slightly more/less depending on research. To some this could be quite shocking, but for me I wasn't too impressed with Windows 8/8.1. I'd much rather have Window 7 then be stuck with 8/8.1.

Great post and great findings @Faybert ! Always a great read!

Reactions: brambedkar59
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.