Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 10 PCs Freezing After Installing Anniversary Update

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is now available for download, and just as expected, users rushed to install it to get all the improvements that everyone has been talking about in the past few months.

Unfortunately, however, a number of PCs are hit with issues causing them to freeze after installing the Anniversary Update, and judging from the number of posts online, this isn’t quite an isolated bug.

Basically, what is happening is that machines freeze all of a sudden after installing the Anniversary Update, and the crash occurs at random moments, after booting to the desktop. There are reports claiming that PCs become unresponsive the second after they boot to the desktop, while others say it takes a few minutes for their systems to freeze.

At first look, it doesn’t seem like the problem is caused by third-party apps, as booting into Safe Mode and performing a clean boot make no difference, so it has to be something caused by the Anniversary Update, users believe.

How to fix the problem
According to posts in this reddit discussion, the easiest way to deal with the issue is to create Windows 10 Anniversary Update installation media using the Media Creation Tool and then perform an upgrade.

Here’s how reddit user /u/KuruQan describes the workaround that solved the issue in his case (keep in mind, however, that Microsoft has not yet acknowledged the bug, and an official solution is not yet available):

“After that I inserted the USB flash disk into USB 2.0 port (3.0 have problems on some motherboards when booting from them), went to the USB flash folder, run setup.exe, chose ‘don't look for updates,’ unchecked ‘help microsoft with blabla’ and clicked trough the install app. I chose keep all my settings and personal documents, let it proceed, pc restarted and after installation I'm running the windows 10 1607 with no freeze after 20 seconds after startup (I did multiple restarts to test it).”

We’ve reached out to Microsoft to see if they’re aware of this problem and if it’s a widespread issue, so we’ll update the article when we receive an answer.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
No problems update and afterwards. Its not entirely Microsofts fault eveyone has a little bit of the blame. "Spying" can be lowered by reading through the User Agreements. Some computers can still be too old to upgrade even by the "ok" from Microsoft you can never be too careful. :p

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Just downloaded Win10_1607_French_x64 from Microsoft website (it took 2 min with my connection speed)
I Launched the setup, will update my windows ! See you soon :rolleyes:

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Hmmm...Interesting.

The more prudent course of action right now is give it some time.Let them work out the (inevitable) kinks.

If your system is stable and working,don't update.

Exactly the reason why I don't rush to get the latest stuff! Besides, I waited almost the full year before diving in and finally upgrading to W10 itself, it's working fine for me. Guess I'll wait til they've ironed out the bugs on this one- no rush!:cool:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Exactly the reason why I don't rush to get the latest stuff! Besides, I waited almost the full year before diving in and finally upgrading to W10 itself, it's working fine for me. Guess I'll wait til they've ironed out the bugs on this one- no rush!:cool:
I'm with "..Sheep"!:cool: :D

I'd asked myself "How many times have I broken something that didn't need to be fixed in the first place?",o_O and didn't like those odds very much.:confused::( ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I'm with "..Sheep"!:cool: :D

I'd asked myself "How many times have I broken something that didn't need to be fixed in the first place?",o_O and didn't like those odds very much.:confused::( ;)
Sound reasoning my friend,
I was a little frustrated at not seeing the update yet (at first), I have downloaded the ISO DardiM makes mention of, I think I got it from the link Huracan posted.
I am going to sit on installing it for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.