Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Windows 10 S will become a "mode" of Windows 10 next year
Windows 10 S will become a "mode" of Windows 10 next year
The standalone OS' days are numbered
By Shawn Knight on Mar 7, 2018, 11:12 AM

Microsoft VP Joe Belfiore recently confirmed via Twitter that starting next year, Windows 10 S will be a “mode” within existing versions of Windows rather than the standalone OS it is today.

Windows 10 S is a feature-limited edition of Windows 10 for low-end devices that was meant to compete with Google’s lightweight Chrome OS in the classroom. Notably, the OS only allows for the installation of software from the Windows Store, severely limiting its usefulness.

Many wrote the OS off as the modern version of Windows RT – in other words, it wouldn’t last. Given Belfiore’s comment, it looks as though critics weren’t exactly wrong.

Word broke a month ago that Microsoft was planning to bake an “S Mode” into Windows 10. Around the same time, Thurrott reported some interesting usage figures that might give a clue as to why Microsoft intends to shelve the dedicated S version.

According to the site, 60 percent of buyers stuck with Windows 10 S upon purchase. If a user does decide to switch to Windows 10 Pro, it happens almost immediately – within the first 24 hours of ownership for 60 percent of those that switch. Should a user not jump ship within the first week of ownership, they’ll stick with Windows 10 S 83 percent of the time.

Unfortunately, Belfiore’s comment came with little context so we’re missing some key details. And considering the change isn’t scheduled to happen until next year, it’ll probably be a while before we get all the pertinent information.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hello BoraMurdar, show-Zi, ZeroDay...I find myself comforted by your likes already! but I don't like Windows 10, rest assured...:)
My Privacy Defense, Privacy Protector Plus, uBlock O., Policy Control - would have too much work for them...

Reactions: ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Hello BoraMurdar, show-Zi, ZeroDay...I find myself comforted by your likes already! but I don't like Windows 10, rest assured...:)
My Privacy Defense, Privacy Protector Plus, uBlock O., Policy Control - would have too much work for them...
I'm actually looking forward to trying this mode of Windows 10S out. Thank you for the share.

Reactions: Prorootect

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Is it necessary for the window whether it is a grill of iron or a blind curtain

It is 'stable' that I desire in whatever form. As long as the update for quality improvement is sometimes functioning as a downdate, I still have the impression of Windows 10 as a beta version.

The canvas was torn when trying to draw a picture. It was a Windows update that tried to clean the canvas. Restoration of it is a waste of stress and time for painters.

I expect "Windows 10 S"to be 'Windows 10 Super-Stable'.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Microsoft confirms it’s already cancelling its newest version of Windows
bgr.com: Microsoft confirms it’s already cancelling its newest version of Windows

Less than one year ago, Microsoft unveiled a new version of its Windows platform called Windows 10 S. It was a curious endeavor right from the get-go. Intended as a rival for Google’s Chrome OS, which continues to gain substantial ground in important markets like education, Windows 10 S is something of a “Windows 10 Lite” solution. It is only capable of running apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store, and Microsoft claimed that the “S” stood for “Simplicity.”

Now, for the strange part. While Windows 10 S was launched to be a lite version of the Windows platform that could power lower-cost laptops to compete with Chromebooks, it actually hides the full version of Windows 10 inside. For a $50 fee, any Windows 10 S machine can be transformed into a full-fledged Windows 10 computer.
It was an interesting idea, but industry watchers were skeptical from the start. Now, it turns out that their skepticism was warranted because Microsoft has already confirmed that it’s scrapping Windows 10 S and replacing it with a new Windows 10 S “Mode.”
Microsoft managed to reel in a number of manufacturer partners ahead of its Windows 10 S announcement. Acer, Asus, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Samsung, and Toshiba all signed on to release lower-cost laptops powered by Windows 10 S and starting at just $189. The move was a clear shot at Google, which has managed to steal the lion’s share of the education market in key regions thanks to ultra-affordable Chromebook laptops offered by Google’s partners.
Some recent estimates suggest Chrome OS now owns about 60% of the US education market in grades K-12. This is hugely significant, of course, because students who grow up using Chrome instead of Windows are more likely to continue using it as adults. And now, even users who want high-end laptops that offer impressive performance can stick with Chrome thanks to devices like the latest Google Pixelbook.
But it appears as though Windows 10 S hasn’t been received as well as Microsoft had hoped. Just 10 months after announcing the new operating system, Microsoft on Tuesday evening confirmed that it is being scrapped next year. In its place, Microsoft will build a new “S Mode” into Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Pro. Administrators in settings like schools will likely be able to lock devices in S Mode, though details are scarce for the time being.

“We use Win10S as an option for schools or businesses that want the ‘low-hassle’/ guaranteed performance version,” Microsoft executive Joe Belfiore wrote in a post on Twitter. “Next year 10S will be a ‘mode’ of existing versions, not a distinct version.” Belfiore’s tweet was posted in response to a user asking why Windows S 10 market share data wasn’t being separated from overall Windows 10 market share figures.
We use Win10S as an option for schools or businesses that want the 'low-hassle'/ guaranteed performance version. Next year 10S will be a "mode" of existing versions, not a distinct version. SO … I think it's totally fine/good that it's not mentioned.

— Joe Belfiore (@joebelfiore) March 7, 2018

Recent rumors had suggested that Microsoft was planning to scrap its paid upgrade scheme for some Windows 10 S device owners who want to upgrade to Windows 10. According to those reports, users with Windows 10 S machines would be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Home for free, while upgrades to Windows 10 Pro would still cost $50. Microsoft hasn’t yet offered any additional details, so it remains to be seen if this will indeed be the case.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't see why windows 10S is more secure than using a Standard Users account.
It is just making the admin into a standard user.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Originally to compete with Chromebooks.

+1 for S Mode instead of a limited OS ("Windows 10 S"). Keen to see it's benefits and whether users can switch between the modes easily.

Can be a nice addition to the Install apps notification.
upload_2018-3-8_23-7-47.png

Let's wait and see..

Originally to compete with Chromebooks.

+1 for S Mode instead of a limited OS ("Windows 10 S"). Keen to see it's benefits and whether users can switch between the modes easily.

Can be a nice addition to the Install apps notification.
View attachment 181923

Let's wait and see..

It's still Windows... and as far as security Microsoft cannot compete with Chromebook. Eventually, someday, Google's monopoly on security will be undone as the platform becomes more popular - but until that day - it's just plain stupid not to use Chromebook if you're a person who doesn't want to be bothered with the endless details, nuances, exceptions, caveats and problems of Windows security.

The Average Joe doesn't need Windows, but Microsoft conspires with OEMs and retailers for product placement and marketing that sends the message to Average Joe intended to make him\her think he\she has no choice but to use Windows. As we all know, it just ain't true.

And then there is the 10S\10 Pro licensing controversy and the $49 fee for 10S Mode... Gee, let me think how many people are going to buy into that when Microsoft cannot get people to buy Windows to begin with... :unsure: so many well know activators available and $3 licenses selling on eBay ?

So, yeah, 10S Mode might become a one-hit wonder among the pirated Windows crowd.

... Not ......

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.