Windows 10 update KB3074681 causes Explorer crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LabZero

Thread author
In the last few days before Windows 10 is unleashed on a largely unsuspecting world, Microsoft has released a number of updates. These are just regular, everyday updates rather than new builds of the preview, but one of those released over the weekend has been causing problems.

Update KB3074681 was released yesterday (Saturday), and it has been causing issues that result in Explorer crashing. The way updates work in Windows 10 means that there is no way to get rid of the update, so until a patch is released there is little that can be done -- apart from avoiding the crash triggers, that is.

As noted by Richard Hay on SuperSite for Windows, KB3074681 causes Explorer to crash in at least two situations. He found that if the Programs and Features Control Panel is used to try to uninstall or modify a program that is installed, Explorer will die and immediately restart. There is no way to currently use the Control Panel to modify programs on affected computers at the moment.

MORE

L

LabZero

Thread author
Just one more good reason to wait for a while. i think all the computer repair shops will make a fortune from your average user with all the crashes i can see happening. :p:D
Good point, i would say then that between an update and the other, we will be able to use Windows :rolleyes:

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A little facepalm, now Microsoft should reconsider the word 'FORCE' updates implementation on WIndows 10, cause it just downgraded the privilege of a user to decide updates.

Reactions: LabZero and frogboy

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
i don know why microsoft wants us to force update window as some people have limited data plans and if a huge update comes like 1GB+ then what will the user do and also if they have some important work to do i think Microsoft seriously reconsider this decision
A little facepalm, now Microsoft should reconsider the word 'FORCE' updates implementation on WIndows 10, cause it just downgraded the privilege of a user to decide updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.