Windows 10 update question - Install via Update or Media Creation Tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intel_iRIS81

Level 1
Verified
Jun 7, 2016
Neither.

Windows is more of my expertise than security is so I'm gonna chime in.

I recommend install Windows 10 Anniversary via bootable usb. This is a new OS and not just a simple update, kinda like 8.0 to 8.1 if you will.

Rufus is probably the best tool because it will allow you to set up the GPT partitions correctly and delete all olds partitions and create new ones. I had a 20GB partition on my HDD from Windows 7 I didn't even know about until this install. (Bought the laptop used) Also it makes things easy as it will install with secure boot enabled with UEFI enabled so the only thing you have to do is enable boot to usb in bios and that only takes a few seconds to do anyway.

I used Media Creation Tool only to download the ISO, that's it. Using windows built in feature or Media Creation for install doesn't delete or format the old partitions. Only when I used Rufus was I allowed to format and delete the old partitions.

Going this route is the way to do a true clean fresh install. No extra time needed and I freed up that HD space I wanted. Most importantly my reboot, shutdown times are amazing. I haven't timed my start times but they are all within 6-10 seconds now vs my long restart times in the past.

Here is the tutorial in case you need help. This tool has been around for years and its trusted. I tried GPT and MBR and both work but GPT is pretty much the better option and error free even on a 3 year old laptop with a 2 year old BIOS

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Did a Clean Install...Successful
Man oh man, all these clean installs, I know its healthy, but when your a gamer with many large games
A clean install is like a tax audit, dreaded and to be avoided lol
I may take the leap and just do a clean install once downloaded, things will function better including my games.
Thanks for the share yesnoo

D

Deleted member 2913

_CyberGhosT_

Win 10 clean install is quite an exercise. I am still customizing the settings And thinking if I forgot any customization And customization takes quite a time on Win 10...I like to customize manually & don't like to use any app for it.

I have completed all the customization in the settings panel.
Removed built-in apps
Disabled Cortana with group policy.
Set Windows Updates to "Notify for download & notify for install".

Win 10 64 Pro

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Here I go.....:eek:
Here_We_Go.png

Be back after I get done, keep your fingers crossed.
PeAcE

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I
_CyberGhosT_

Win 10 clean install is quite an exercise. I am still customizing the settings And thinking if I forgot any customization And customization takes quite a time on Win 10...I like to customize manually & don't like to use any app for it.

I have completed all the customization in the settings panel.
Removed built-in apps
Disabled Cortana with group policy.
Set Windows Updates to "Notify for download & notify for install".

Win 10 64 Pro
will be right behind you I'm on the same edition mine is x64 though, I don't mind config'in and tweaking its fun this late at night when I can concentrate lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.