Upendra19

Level 1
When I bought my new laptop ram usage was 70-75% without any software running. I somehow took it down at 50% but today i thought more about it. I add every process ram use on task manager and it was not more than 1 GB. Take a look at screenshots.

And here is memory used according to task manager

What is issue. Is it memory leak? How to solve it? Has anyone face this in past then Please help me!!!

Attachments

shmu26

Level 81
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Task manager shows you the memory usage of the process without showing you the corresponding increase in system memory usage caused by the process. In other words, you are only seeing the part of the ship that is above the water.

Local Host

Level 17
Verified
That memory is not actually being used, it's cached, it will be cleared the moment you need it.

It's how it should work, as Software shouldn't waste RAM, any free memory is forever wasted, people have the wrong idea on how RAM should work.

TairikuOkami

Level 23
Verified
Content Creator

RAM usage, I am still trying to figure it out and I have the feeling, even MS does not know, how it works exactly. There is a flaw in superfetch, but MS refuses to fix it (mommy knows best), because according to them, it is not broken, except it is, but not like MS has ever cared about user feedback.

Windows Task Manager is for public, just to show people something, nobody uses it, not even MS, they use Process Explorer in presentations.
For example: In Use: 4,3GB - but really used RAM is Committed: 6,2GB - Available is: 11,5GB. RAM cleaners basically clean some cached RAM. In theory Windows should free it, when needed, but that is not the case. Lets say a game asks for RAM, but Windows reports only available RAM and does not even bother looking at cached RAM. I had games crashing from insufficient RAM, but once I started using cleanmem, crashes were gone.

Attachments

shmu26

Level 81
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator

RAM usage, I am still trying to figure it out and I have the feeling, even MS does not know, how it works exactly. There is a flaw in superfetch, but MS refuses to fix it (mommy knows best), because according to them, it is not broken, except it is, but not like MS has ever cared about user feedback.

Windows Task Manager is for public, just to show people something, nobody uses it, not even MS, they use Process Explorer in presentations.
For example: In Use: 4,3GB - but really used RAM is Committed: 6,2GB - Available is: 11,5GB. RAM cleaners basically clean some cached RAM. In theory Windows should free it, when needed, but that is not the case. Lets say a game asks for RAM, but Windows reports only available RAM and does not even bother looking at cached RAM. I had games crashing from insufficient RAM, but once I started using cleanmem, crashes were gone.
Interesting.
And what about shared memory? Isn't there another hunk of memory usage not displayed by Task Manager because it is shared by other processes?

TairikuOkami

Level 23
Verified
Content Creator

This utility is supposed to show everything (shared memory as well), except for me, since I have butchered 10, it shows mere nonsense to me. :)

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm too using a laptop with windows 10 OS. And I haven't faced any such issues but for installing the OS and other additional applications which took a few hours. I think you would have installed programs which would have utilized RAM in your initial usages.