Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 10 Will No Longer Let You Disable Cortana Starting August 2

The debut of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is just around the corner, and it turns out that Microsoft is making one unexpected change that will certainly lead to more criticism in the community.

Starting with the Anniversary Update, users are no longer allowed to completely disable Cortana, but only to hide it from the taskbar (shutting down Cortana will be possible with additional tweaks that involve turning off some services, but for the average Joe, that’s clearly not an option).

In the current version of Windows 10 (for retail users), Cortana can be turned off from Settings, and its taskbar icon is replaced with a search icon that lets you perform searches with Bing. The Anniversary Update changes this behavior, BI notes, and Cortana will continue to search for information locally even if you disable it.

The Pro and Enterprise versions of Windows 10, as well as the corresponding Education SKUs, will come with options to disable Cortana, but for Home users, that will be impossible.

One possible workaround for Cortana is to sign out of the personal assistant, so it won’t use an account when you perform searches. Microsoft can collect anonymous data, but at least it won’t be tied to your account - the company has previously assured that no account data is collected anyway, so users are supposed to be safe at all times.

“Users will love Cortana”
In statements released regarding the new Cortana behavior in Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Microsoft avoids saying it clearly that it’ll be impossible to disable it but notes that users will benefit from the personal assistant and the new features that are being introduced.

“With the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the search box is now Cortana. Customers can expect the same great search experience powered by Bing and Microsoft Edge with the added benefit of Cortana’s personality,” a company spokesperson is quoted as saying.

“We know consumers want choice and we make it easy to customize Cortana’s personalization or opt-out of Cortana’s suite of personalized services. Cortana works best when you sign in, but if you choose not to, you can still use her to chat, search the web and your Windows device. If you like, you can also easily hide Cortana and the search box in the taskbar altogether.”

It remains to be seen how users react to this new change and how Microsoft adapts to their feedback, as the company claims that it’s willing to tweak the operating system based on user suggestions.

H

hjlbx

Just another example of Microsoft forcing something on those users that don't want it.

Use your own judgment, but I personally think it's sickening...

I will be hacking away at Windows 10 until the Cortana cancer is completely disabled and removed from my system - even if it means I will have no Start Menu.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
hjlbx said ^
Just another example of Microsoft forcing something on those users that don't want it.

Just one more reason to loathe MS and/or W10 ( as if I needed one ! :) )

It's worth keeping in mind that their core philosophy has radically shifted with W10 ;
you may own the hardware , but you sure as sugar don't own the OS ( or "platform" ) anymore.

So don't meddle with it !! .... you might be in breach of the EULA .... Ha !

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This is nothing, if there is a will, there is a way. OSU10 or one of the others will make a nice little app that nukes the ##### out of Cortana
and tells Bill to take a flying leap. As news of this spreads groups like the dev's behind OSU10 are grinning thinking "wanna bet" lol

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I am sooo tired of these posts about MS, there is an alternative, DON'T USE WINDOWS! No one is holding a gun to your head. I like my privacy like everyone else but that's why I don't do anything on my PC that I am worried about anyone seeing, and not that it matters anymore, companies like Google and Amazon, along with MS and a host of others know much more than you realize. So give up the dream of privacy, they already know who you are! LOL

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I am sooo tired of these posts about MS, there is an alternative, DON'T USE WINDOWS! No one is holding a gun to your head. I like my privacy like everyone else but that's why I don't do anything on my PC that I am worried about anyone seeing, and not that it matters anymore, companies like Google and Amazon, along with MS and a host of others know much more than you realize. So give up the dream of privacy, they already know who you are! LOL
I think for the majority of us it has more to with being told we "have" to use something and less about privacy.
And admittedly Bill has no right to force a user to employ an unwanted app no matter what he thinks. ;)
I just ignore the conspiracy theorists anymore, less stress that way.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I think for the majority of us it has more to with being told we "have" to use something and less about privacy.
And admittedly Bill has no right to force a user to employ an unwanted app no matter what he thinks. ;)
I just ignore the conspiracy theorists anymore, less stress that way.
That's my point, no one has to use Windows 10, it's a choice. So I do understand your view, but MS still isn't forcing anyone to use anything.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
That's my point, no one has to use Windows 10, it's a choice. So I do understand your view, but MS still isn't forcing anyone to use anything.
I'm not gonna argue the fine points here but telling me I have to leave Cortana on and I can't shut her down to reclaim the resources used by the app is forcing me to use something I dont use or want, does that mean I need to dump Windows all together ? Pff Hardly.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
"shutting down Cortana will be possible with additional tweaks that involve turning off some services..."
GOOD!...so hopefully I will be able to carry on doing what I do now...
Which is to "Kill" the "Search and Cortana application" Service, through the Application Control Settings of ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.