Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
source: Windows 10's "Controlled Folder Access" Anti-Ransomware Feature Is Now Live

With the release of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update last week, the "Controlled Folder Access" that Microsoft touted in June is now live for millions of users.
As the name hints, the Controlled Folder Access feature allows users to control who can access certain folders.
The feature works on a "block everything by default" philosophy, which means that on a theoretical level, it would be able to prevent ransomware when it tries to access and encrypt files stored in those folders.
The benefits of using Controlled Folder Access for your home and work computers are tangible for anyone that's fearful of losing crucial files to a ransomware infection.
If you want to give Controlled Folder Access a go, below are the basic steps to enable it on your PC.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Ended up with a bad blue screen after turning on Controlled Folder Access,and playing around...,I guess it as my fault , for not researching properly,never the less I have shut it off untill,I check out a good hands on review,had to reinstall windows be carefull ,it can be a real drag lol . Gl all PS. Happy to see anti-exploit included for home users

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
BleepingComputer has tested Controlled Folder Access against ransomware samples that include the Asasin Locky variant, the x1881 CryptoMix variant, the Comrade HiddenTear variant, and the Wyvern BTCWare variant.

The good news is that Controlled Folder Access achieved what it was designed to do; successfully block ransomware from encrypting files located in protected folders. (y)

The bad news is that while your protected folders are safe, other non-protected folders will still be encrypted, ransom notes will still be displayed, and other behavior will still continue.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
This is a new tecnology. What do you think it works? . Some AV like Avast and some products like winantirasom or appcheck have this feature. I think if protected folder are embebed in system are better. But tell me in your opinion is a necesary feature, a good feature?. And will be defender a better option than a thirdparty av like emsisoft or norton? will be defender the best av for this feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.