Verified
Honorary Member
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

An analysis of Microsoft's new approach to Windows 11 updates​

Microsoft switched to a one feature update per year schedule when it released Windows 11. The decision took away some of the development and updating pressure, but it limited new features again.

To overcome this, Microsoft started to experiment with feature drops. In the past 12 months, Microsoft released several enhancements as feature drops. The tests gave Microsoft confidence to change updating again in Windows 11.

Feature drops, called Moments, will complement the yearly feature updates for the Windows 11 operating system going forward.

Microsoft confirmed plans to drop at least two Moments updates between the release of the first feature update for Windows 11 and the release of the second feature update, which is expected to be released in late 2023.

The improvements of the first Moments update are known already, but Microsoft has yet to reveal the features that it plans to release in the second Moments update, which is expected in 2023.

One of the main advantages of the approach is that features and improvements do not have such strict deadlines anymore. Developers do not need to rush development or testing to get features ready for inclusion in the yearly feature update for Windows 11. Instead, features are released when they are ready, using one of the Moments updates.

For Windows 11 users, it could have a positive effect on bugs and a reduction in feature releases that looked unready for public release. The new Windows 11 taskbar and Start Menu are just two examples of that.

Is everything great then? Not necessarily. Since features may be introduced with cumulative updates that Microsoft releases on the second Tuesday of each month, as well as the optional updates the month prior to that, it may happen that users may experience unexpected or unwanted changes.

CyberTech

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft has released the Windows 11 22H2 KB5017389 preview cumulative update with 30 fixes or improvements.

This Windows 11 update is part of Microsoft's September 2022 monthly "C" update, allowing users to test upcoming fixes coming in the October 2022 Patch Tuesday.

As preview updates do not contain security fixes, they are optional and will not be installed automatically.

Windows users can install the KB5017389 update by going into Settings, clicking on Windows Update, and selecting 'Check for Updates.'

As this is an optional update, you will be prompted to click on the download and install button before Windows 11 will install the update.

Windows 11 users can also download and manually install the KB5017389 update from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

What's new in Windows 11 KB5017389

This cumulative update is the first servicing release for Windows 11 22H2 since it was released earlier this month. After installing the update, the Windows 11 build number will be changed to 22621.608.

The Windows 11 KB5017389 cumulative update preview includes 30 improvements or fixes, with the eight highlighted ones listed below:

• Addresses issues that cause updates to the Microsoft Store to fail.
  • Updates the start date for daylight saving time in Chile. It will start on September 11, 2022 instead of on September 4, 2022.
  • Addresses an issue that affects the font of three Chinese characters. When you format these characters as bold, the width size is wrong.
  • Addresses an issue that forces the IE mode tabs in a session to reload.
  • Addresses an issue that successfully opens a browser window in IE mode to display a PDF file. Later, browsing to another IE mode site within the same window fails.
  • Adds more dynamic Widgets content to your taskbar with notification badging. When you open the Widgets board, a banner appears at the top of the board. It provides more information about what triggered the notification badge.
  • Addresses an issue that affects Dual SIM calling. If you select no SIM on your phone and initiate a call on your device, Dual SIM functionality does not work.
  • Addresses an issue that affects some apps that were not signed by the Microsoft Store. You must reinstall them after you upgrade the OS.
While Microsoft says that there are no known issues with this update, there are a few safeguard blocks that are currently preventing devices from upgrading to Windows 11 22H2.

These safeguard holds are for devices using certain types of printers and for BSOD crashes on devices with Intel Smart Sound Technology (SST) audio drivers.

You can find a complete list of improvements and fixes in the KB5017389 support bulletin.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft's implementation of Tabs in File Explorer is lacking severely​

The missing features

While you can create and close tabs in File Explorer once the feature lands, you may soon find out that the functionality is limited otherwise. The only other options right now are to drag tabs to reorder them, and to close all other tabs or tabs to the right using the context menu (no shortcuts for these, apparently).

Want to drag a tab to create a new File Explorer instance, or drag a tab from one File Explorer window to another? These features are not supported, which means that you can't perform these common operations right now. There is also no history to quickly reopen a tab that has been closed, or an option to add a tab to the Quick Access, sorry Home, menu for permanent access. Lastly, there is no option to push each tab to individual File Explorer instances and display them aligned on the screen.

Compared to free alternatives, some of which have been around for decades, Microsoft's implementation of tabs loses out. Programs like Explorer++ or XYplorer, or the "commander" applications, such as Free Commander, Altap Salamander, or Total Commander, offer richer sets of features.

oldschool

Level 69
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
FREE EDITION: Securing Windows 11 with 22H2 @ AskWoody

I've highlighted her concluding thoughts:
As a small business owner who keeps getting pushed into annual subscription models, I love the power that group information brings to the table. It allows us to see the bigger picture about what attacks are going on and who is being targeted, and in general it keeps us more informed on threats and risks. But that ā€œbig pictureā€ often comes with an annual cloud subscription requirement. Windows 11 22H2 is no different. If you truly want to take advantage of the security features of Windows 11, not only do you need the hardware to support Windows 11, you also need the annual subscription for either Microsoft 365 E5 (for larger businesses) or Microsoft 365 Business Premium (for a business of 300 users or fewer). Itā€™s no wonder that the security division is growing
exponentially.

Even with all this, we are getting mixed messages about security. I launched Edge on a new system with 22H2, and it asked me which websites I wanted pinned to my taskbar (see Figure 1).

Edge's offer to pin websites to the task bar

Figure 1. Edge asks which websites I wanted pinned to my taskbar

So on the one hand, Microsoft wants us to pay for a more expensive license to gain the security features; but on the other hand, the Edge browser is proposing settings that raise security concerns in my mind. Yes, I can easily opt out, but why the seeming contradiction? I would hope that everything in the operating system, everything in the browser, and everything Microsoft proposes is secure from the outset and not subject to a user mistake when selecting convenience options.

Hereā€™s hoping folks on the Edge team get the memo.

Freki123

Level 11
Verified
Top poster
Aug 10, 2013
"I would hope that everything in the operating system, everything in the browser, and everything Microsoft proposes is secure from the outset and not subject to a user mistake when selecting convenience options."
I had a good laugh here.
Win 11 22H2 and you still change settings to show file extension names (like bla.exe). Want to scan a file with the defender. Right click it and.... ups where is scan now?

But at least I have a icon for amazon prime and other trash somewhere by default.
Yes you can fix that stuff but why do I have to crawl the internet to enable the old "right click menu options"? I consider an easily accessible scan button more important than nice icons for "copy" and "paste".

Reactions: oldschool