Windows 11 could soon shame PCs that aren’t good enough to run it

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Making people feel bad about the PCs they use is a strange attempt to be popular, but it looks like Microsoft could be doing just that. According to Windows Latest, the January 2023 Windows 11 update, which is continuing to roll out to people around the world, has started displaying a new watermark on the desktop that says “System requirements not met”. When Windows 11 launched, it came with a complex set of requirements, which included the need for TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module), a rather obscure feature that resulted in many PCs and laptops that would have otherwise been able to run Windows 11 without issue (as they did with Windows 10), being deemed unsuitable for the operating system.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
That's a shame, but no doubt it will be easy to remove the watermark. My desktop PC is ten years old, although I only purchased it three years ago. Its 4th gen i5 CPU is more than fast enough for anything I use it for, so it will be a long time before I upgrade to a system with a supported CPU and TPM 2.0.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Curious, innit? Microsoft turns a blind eye to the massive Windows and other Microsoft piracy, but it will annoy users with a desktop watermark to upgrade hardware.

You get the inkling that one department at Microsoft doesn't communicate with another department? (Oh, that is EXACTLY how it is at Microsoft.)

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
It has already begun, it started happening to me last week or the week before on my computer that I installed Windows 11 on by using the official Microsoft registry edit workarounds:

Windows 11 Shame Screenshot 2023-02-14 224531.jpg

Game of Thrones Season 5: Episode #10 - Cersei's Walk of Atonement (HBO):

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.