Update Windows 11 - First look

rain2reign

Level 5
Jun 21, 2020
In every video I looked up, they say "I don't see an option to create a local account"... I can clearly see an "offline account" option there. It was local account, then offline account, then renamed back to local account etc... Unless that is changed once again in the new Windows setup... It's clearly there, no? Am I misunderstanding something here, or are they just not looking at the options at all?

See image or 3:22 in the YouTube video from @amirr in post #9
1623850952502.png

show-Zi

Level 31
Verified
Jan 28, 2018
Damn, windows is supposed to be universally accessible. To be honest, all the improvements are not exactly worth the requirements. And keeping that besides, there is obviously the issue of price and distribution. Wonder if this will really hit it off and whether it will be required for any new applicationa.
As of now, only a development version with unknown stages has been leaked.
The official specifications will be known in 10 days. Let's wait until then.
-------:coffee:
Here in Japan, the leaked win11 is also becoming a hot topic.
As for the UI, it seems that the taskbar can no longer be moved. The fact that the news and weather were affected by the taskbar placement the other day may have been a sign of this change.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 50
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016

show-Zi

Level 31
Verified
Jan 28, 2018
A friend told me:

I strongly advise AGAINST installing a leaked OS image for obvious security reasons.

It's not that it's a beta or pre release or whatever, it's that it's not an official image from an official source, and as such, could very well be infected with malware. I don't need to tell you that an os that comes with embedded malware would be terrible because any security software would be useless against it, depending on how well it is done.

I'm not saying the image in this case is bad, I have not tested it. However better safe than sorry.

(Side note : i'll wait for stable release and see if any new features warrant a manual install, for now I haven't seen features that interest me, in what case i'd wait for it to be released on windows update.)
In such cases, a virtual PC environment such as VMware can help.:)

CyberTech

Level 36
Verified
Nov 10, 2017
More screenshots: Windows 11 setup, Welcome to, etc

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 37
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
In every video I looked up, they say "I don't see an option to create a local account"... I can clearly see an "offline account" option there. It was local account, then offline account, then renamed back to local account etc... Unless that is changed once again in the new Windows setup... It's clearly there, no? Am I misunderstanding something here, or are they just not looking at the options at all?

See image or 3:22 in the YouTube video from @amirr in post #9
Yes, that's the local/offline account option. That's how I installed it in a VM without logging into Microsoft account.

amirr

Level 16
Jan 26, 2020
If WIndows 11 is actually coming the upgrade will probably be free for all Windows 10 users as they did when 10 was released. Maybe it's time to use my Windows 8 Pro licenses to upgrade my Windows 10 installations to Pro...
"It does seem like Windows 10 users will likely get the upgrade for free: Our colleagues over at Review Geek were able to activate Windows 11 with a Windows 7 key."

rain2reign

Level 5
Jun 21, 2020
It looks good aesthetically, though I find that they could have cut back on the rounded corners a tiny bit. As in the curve being a bit to big.

Edit: Now I understand why most videos said there was no local account option! Seems lots of them were using the Home version which is why it didn't show up?

Want a Local Account? That Costs Extra​

Finally, one change that isn’t a surprise: Microsoft has been pushing Microsoft accounts on Windows 10 users for a while now. It’s hard to create a local account while installing Windows 10—you have to disconnect your PC from the internet first.
In Windows 11, that doesn’t seem to work. With the standard Windows 11 Home, you can’t create a local account anymore. You’ll need the more expensive Windows 11 Professional edition to do that.

(With Windows 11 Professional, you can select Set Up for Personal Use > Sign-in Options > Offline Account > Limited Experience to create a local account. But you can’t do this on Windows 11 Home.)
source: Windows 11 Confirmed: What We Learned From the Leaked Build

Chuck57

Level 6
Verified
Oct 22, 2018
Nice looking, and a modern look. I have to wonder, though. What have they done underneath? Is the actual operating system updated, improved, or is it still Win 10. As I said somewhere else, on another forum, you can paint a lump of coal to look like a diamond, but it's still a lump of coal. I think I'll be sticking with Win 8.1. On this laptop, it's as stable or better and much, much faster.

Thiagoo

Level 3
May 10, 2021
Nice looking, and a modern look. I have to wonder, though. What have they done underneath? Is the actual operating system updated, improved, or is it still Win 10. As I said somewhere else, on another forum, you can paint a lump of coal to look like a diamond, but it's still a lump of coal. I think I'll be sticking with Win 8.1. On this laptop, it's as stable or better and much, much faster.
Well, the NT kernel stays the same from 10 on that build, so it's basically Windows 10 with a new design for now.

Marko :)

Level 19
Verified
Aug 12, 2015
I love everything, except new Windows logo (I find it terrible and a little bit creepy), new Start menu and taskbar (huge; I hope it could make it smaller) and the new recycling bin icon. As someone said, it looks like it's staring at my soul.

Also, people it's worth to have in mind Windows 11 is still in development. That ISO, that was leaked could be from an early stage of developent; we don't know. I really hope some elements of this version will be improved in the final one.

roger_m

Level 34
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I was having trouble installing it on two old laptops. After I followed instructions regarding replacing a dll file, it still would not install. I no longer received the error message stating Secure Boot and 4GB of RAM was required, but it was replaced with message saying "This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements to install this version of Windows." However, I found a simple solution.

Right now, I'm installing it on a 15-year-old laptop.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I was having trouble installing it on two old laptops. After I followed instructions regarding replacing a dll file, it still would not install. I no longer received the error message stating Secure Boot and 4GB of RAM was required, but it was replaced with message saying "This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements to install this version of Windows." However, I found a simple solution.

Right now, I'm installing it on a 15-year-old laptop.
Why bypass the requirements anyway?
Your system isn't supported and stuff will break soon or later.

"11" is also not even official or released so I can't understand why people want use some custom build.
10 provide updates until 2025 so it's enough time to get supported hardware.