Updates Windows 11 - First look

plat1098

Level 24
Verified
Sep 13, 2018
Is anyone getting driver load errors because of core isolation in windows 11?
You're able to access and enable Core Isolation? That's probably one of the biggest bugs in Windows 11 right now. "Standard hardware device security not supported." I can't even get "core isolation" via Search, this is the message:

page not available.PNG

What driver are you having trouble with?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Jul 3, 2015
I tried upgrading to Win11 on my real system (not VM), and at the end of the long and grueling process, the upgrade failed and reverted to Win10.
Did that happen to anyone else and is there a fix? I don't remember the exact error message but it was a generic one.
My system meets the requirements so I don't think that was the problem.

mlnevese

Level 24
Verified
May 3, 2015
I tried upgrading to Win11 on my real system (not VM), and at the end of the long and grueling process, the upgrade failed and reverted to Win10.
Did that happen to anyone else and is there a fix? I don't remember the exact error message but it was a generic one.
My system meets the requirements so I don't think that was the problem.
I've installed on two machines without any problem... Without seeing the error it is a little hard to know the cause. My bet would be an incompatible driver or security solution. Try updating your drivers first.

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 36
Verified
Nov 10, 2017
Back in March, we speculated that Microsoft may be killing off the Microsoft Store for Business and Education soon, due to the fact that it had stated that users will not be allowed to purchase paid apps from April 14. The move had been previously rumored to kick off in June 2020 but the pandemic put a dent in those plans, and it seems that Microsoft pushed the date forward internally. Today, the firm has categorically confirmed that the Microsoft Store for Business and Education will not be supported on Windows 11 - which is scheduled for a release later this year.

Starting from the first half of 2022, customers will be able to find and deploy applications to their managed devices using Microsoft Intune or their unified endpoint management (UEM) solution. For unmanaged devices, deployment is possible via the WinGet tool in Windows Package Manager. This will be applicable to all existing and new app types coming to the redesigned Microsoft Store experience.

In light of the above, Microsoft Store for Business and Education are being killed off in the first quarter of 2023. The portals will not be supported in Windows 11 but admins can still utilize UEM solutions to harness the connection to the respective portals, and use it to deploy apps to managed Windows 11 devices, until the Stores are retired completely in 2023.

The rest

plat1098

Level 24
Verified
Sep 13, 2018
It seems Automatic Sample submission bug MAY be fixed? Started and restarted machine, it stayed enabled today. There was a recent update to the Platform in Windows 11 only--new version 1.1.18400.4. Maybe there's a changelog somewhere with update info.

Anyone else?

SeriousHoax

Level 36
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
The Device security section has finally been fixed. I am able to enable Core isolation/Memory integrity now. I have never enabled this before, not even in Windows 10. So, I'll have to check if the apps and games I use/play regularly have any compatibility issues or not.
1.PNG2.PNG

Last edited:

plat1098

Level 24
Verified
Sep 13, 2018
Thanks alot, SeriousHoax. (y) I received Chat independently of the cumulative update earlier today--it just showed up on the Taskbar without any kind of warning. Just unpinned it from Taskbar is all.

Updated successfully to v. 22000.100. Just hung for a little bit at the Welcome screen but otherwise: perfect.

Edit: yes! The Defender Device Security page is finally back to normal. Phew, that's a relief, right?

cumulative plus chat.png

SeriousHoax

Level 36
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
Thanks alot, SeriousHoax. (y) I received Chat independently of the cumulative update earlier today--it just showed up on the Taskbar without any kind of warning. Just unpinned it from Taskbar is all.
Yeah same here for me. I received it two days ago actually. I don't have any contacts on Teams so it's not useful for me.
Edit: yes! The Defender Device Security page is finally back to normal. Phew, that's a relief, right?
Yeah! It is 🙂 The Automatic sample submission issue of MD still remains along with Network Protection getting disabled on every boot/reboot. I wonder why it's so difficult for them to fix it! Seems simple enough.

plat1098

Level 24
Verified
Sep 13, 2018
The Automatic sample submission issue of MD still remains along with Network Protection getting disabled on every boot/reboot.

It might be surprising but this was fixed on here somehow, albeit without any fanfare. Today, I discovered the virus sample submission setting remained enabled thru several boots and restarts. On a hunch, I called up the Platform version to see if there was an update there and it seems there was--specifically the Engine which is now 1.1.18400.4. Is your Engine version the same as this one? There is an update dated 7/9/2021 to the Platform on the MS Update Catalog but I am UNSURE if this is something that would fix that VSS bug.

engine version.PNG

Also: a general FYI: it seems the Microsoft Teams service is now enabled to start automatically when Windows starts. If you don't want this running, you can disable it via Task Manager/Startup tab at the top.

SeriousHoax

Level 36
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
It might be surprising but this was fixed on here somehow, albeit without any fanfare. Today, I discovered the virus sample submission setting remained enabled thru several boots and restarts. On a hunch, I called up the Platform version to see if there was an update there and it seems there was--specifically the Engine which is now 1.1.18400.4. Is your Engine version the same as this one? There is an update dated 7/9/2021 to the Platform on the MS Update Catalog but I am UNSURE if this is something that would fix that VSS bug.

Also: a general FYI: it seems the Microsoft Teams service is now enabled to start automatically when Windows starts. If you don't want this running, you can disable it via Task Manager/Startup tab at the top.
I have not received this update yet. Maybe MS is releasing it gradually and checking the telemetry.

plat1098

Level 24
Verified
Sep 13, 2018
I have not received this update yet. Maybe MS is releasing it gradually and checking the telemetry.

It's actually very baffling how some got this Virus Sample Submission bug fixed but others haven't. On another forum, we compared Antimalware versions, with the common denominator being Antimalware Client version 4.18.2107.4. It seems those with this version will boot with VSS enabled (bug fixed). Those on earlier versions will still have that annoying yellow triangle.

So it appears it's not the platform version that I'd guessed in post #435 but the Client version. But there's no changelog or official statement from Mircrosoft, so this is still theorizing. The bug is still listed among the "known issues" in the 22000.100 changelog. :whistle::coffee:

SeriousHoax

Level 36
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
I really like this new "xxxx program has been added to the Windows start" notification... no more surprise items you don't expect when booting.
Actually even Windows 10's insider editions have had this feature for a while now. MS is probably confused about whether they should add it or not because a notification like that may confuse some average users. But like you, I also love this feature, and hopefully, they will ship it with the stable Windows 11.
So it appears it's not the platform version that I'd guessed in post #435 but the Client version. But there's no changelog or official statement from Mircrosoft, so this is still theorizing. The bug is still listed among the "known issues" in the 22000.100 changelog. :whistle::coffee:
Yeah, the platform version and the client version are the same things. The one you have is "4.18.2107.4" which looks like have fixed the bug while mine and the current stable version for Windows 10 and 11 is "4.18.2106.6" which still has the bug in Windows 11.