Update Windows 11 - First look

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 50
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Now’s a great time to switch from Windows 11 Dev Channel to Beta Channel
Yesterday, Microsoft released Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.100 to Insiders in the Beta Channel. Microsoft also confirmed that it won’t be releasing any new Windows 11 Preview Build for Insiders in the Dev Channel this week.

If you have been considering switching from Dev Channel to Beta Channel, now’s a great time to do it without needing to clean install. You can switch channels by going to Settings -> Windows Update -> Windows Insider settings.

If you are in the Dev Channel, now would be the right time to consider switching to the Beta Channel if you want to stay on more stabilized builds of Windows 11.
Source: Microsoft

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 50
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Whats the advantage to switch to Beta Channel?

Dev Channel​

The Dev Channel is perfect for highly technical users who love to be the first to see the latest features and updates for all things Windows. These aren't always stable builds, and sometimes you will see issues that block key activities or require workarounds while flighting in this channel. Your feedback will help our engineers with major fixes and changes to the latest code.
You'll be seeing builds directly from the active development branch in the Dev Channel, so they aren't matched to a specific release. This means that these builds may simply be the latest work-in-progress code from our engineers. New features and OS improvements in this channel will show up in future Windows releases when they're ready, and we may deliver these new features and OS improvements as full OS build updates or servicing releases.

Beta Channel​

The Beta Channel is perfect for early adopters who want to see what's next or validate the latest Windows updates and features, but still need reliable updates that are validated by Microsoft.
As a part of the Beta Channel, you'll be seeing builds tied to a specific upcoming release, like 20H1 or 20H2. Your feedback will be especially important here, since it will help our engineers make sure that key issues are fixed before major releases.

Release Preview Channel​

In the Release Preview Channel, you'll get the upcoming version of Windows before it's released to the world, with advanced quality updates and certain key features. These builds are also supported by Microsoft if you're in the Windows Insider Program for Business.

SeriousHoax

Level 37
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
I don't want to switch to beta at the moment because I want to test Android apps on Windows 11 as soon as I can. There are three Android apps that I'm looking forward to running on Windows 11 which need to be sideloaded. So I want to check if I would be able to sideload android apps for real. I'll reinstall the OS when the stable version comes out.

carl fish

Level 5
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
has anyone experienced this, to stop getting insider builds on this device you need to clean install the latest release of windows 10 on windows 11 and are unable to change the channel they are enrolled to?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

mlnevese

Level 24
Verified
May 3, 2015
has anyone experienced this, to stop getting insider on this device you need to clean install the latest release of windows 10 on windows 11 and are unable to change the channel they are enrolled to?

That usually happens on Dev channel. That's why Microsoft is giving this opportunity for people to fall back to Beta by keeping the same build on both channels. If you want to eventually go back to stable without needing a reinstall you should switch to Beta now.

carl fish

Level 5
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
That usually happens on Dev channel. That's why Microsoft is giving this opportunity for people to fall back to Beta by keeping the same build on both channels. If you want to eventually go back to stable without needing a reinstall you should switch to Beta now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

CyberTech

Level 36
Verified
Nov 10, 2017
With Windows 11, Microsoft is retaining Windows 10's servicing model known as 'Windows as a Service (WaaS)'. As part of WaaS, Microsoft plans to deliver an always up-to-date experience with the latest features and security updates.

In a support document, Microsoft confirmed that Windows 11 will get all updates currently offered to Windows 10, including Patch Tuesday, optional preview, OOB (out of band), and more.

However, there will be one change to the update cadence: Windows 11 will be updated once a year with new features, and that feature update will be released in the second half of the year.

For more information

SeriousHoax

Level 37
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
A planned October 2021 release date for Windows 11 has been accidentally leaked in support documents from both Microsoft and Intel.

When Microsoft formally announced Windows 11 in June, they did not provide an official release date, only saying it would be released later this year.

"Upgrade rollout plan is being finalized and is scheduled to begin late in 2021 and continue into 2022. Specific timing will vary by device. Certain features require specific hardware," revealed Microsoft in their Windows 11 announcement.

However, support documents released over the past two months from Microsoft and Intel have revealed that the plan is to release Windows 11 in October, or at the latest, in November this year.

Intel's July graphics driver release notes stated that the drivers are compatible with Windows 11, which they listed as the "October 2021 Update (21H2)," as shown below.

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2015

mlnevese

Level 24
Verified
May 3, 2015
It's been a few weeks I've been testing Windows 11 in two machines and my general impression is that it's quite more stable and faster than Windows 10. I have hit some problems here and there, mostly caused by old drivers and third-party software, solved the Adguard problem by reverting it to stable channel, by the way.

It did lose some functionality. Not being able to drag a file to the program in taskbar is one I miss a lot, for instance. Te way it can quickly create multiple desktops is a plus on the other hand.

I seriously do not see any reason to upgrade from Windows 10 now unless you are curious to try something new. If you do, take precautions, make sure all your important files and licenses are backed up. Even better, have a system image at hand to quickly revert if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

plat1098

Level 25
Verified
Sep 13, 2018

Microsoft’s Windows 11 outreach efforts aren’t going very well

Overly heavy-handed moderation tends to cause more problems than it solves.
arstechnica.com
arstechnica.com

It's too shrouded in secrecy and it's gotten annoying because it's just another potential expenditure in the midst of a pandemic. Why the abrupt, minimally explained iron fist now? Ransomware alone can't be the only explanation. But speculating is a waste of time also, unless something else gets "leaked."

No wonder Microsoft "alienated" so many, ain't that right, mlnevese? :alien::coffee:

mlnevese

Level 24
Verified
May 3, 2015
It's too shrouded in secrecy and it's gotten annoying because it's just another potential expenditure in the midst of a pandemic. Why the abrupt, minimally explained iron fist now? Ransomware alone can't be the only explanation. But speculating is a waste of time also, unless something else gets "leaked."

No wonder Microsoft "alienated" so many, ain't that right, mlnevese? :alien::coffee:
alien-this-big.jpg

No comments... no aliens here either...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 50
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.120
Hello Windows Insiders, today we are releasing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.120 to everyone in the Dev and Beta Channels!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 50
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft’s Windows 11 will come with a brand-new feature called Focus Sessions
Yesterday, Microsoft’s Panos Panay revealed the new Snipping Tool coming in Windows 11. Today, Panos revealed a brand-new feature called Focus Sessions that will be part of Windows 11. Focus Sessions feature will be part Windows Alarms and Clock app. It will allow you to achieve your goals and get more done without any distractions. You can select how much time you have, the task, and a Spotify track before you start a Focus session.

You can check out the demo of Windows 11’s Focus Sessions feature below.

Another first look from the team…#FocusSessions on #Windows11 coming soon. This has been a game-changer for me, especially with @Spotify integration #Productivity #Creativity #WindowsInsiders pic.twitter.com/HfJh4niDiS
— Panos Panay (@panos_panay) August 5, 2021

Source: Microsoft

oldschool

Level 61
Verified
Mar 29, 2018
Upgrading To Windows 11 Beta - TweakHound
Several days ago I said “Not interested” to the pre-Alpha Windows 11. It has now moved to the Beta channel which hopefully means its is at least Alpha grade and I was a little bored so I installed it. I had to jump through some hoops…
My opinion of Windows 11 after 2 hours….
Taskbar is all screwed up and not customizable
Start10 doesn’t start but if you hit the Windows key it comes up
Explorer looks better
Networking is snappier
The widgets suck, the location is off, and if you set it it will reset after you clear browser history.
So far Windows 11 seems to give nothing special, takes away customization, and IMHO is harder to use. I’m not getting the point.
Another early review here: Windows 11 early review - Shiny, inefficient, confusing

I for one have no interest in W11 right now if they don't retain some of Windows better long-time little features.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 61
Verified
Mar 29, 2018
Here are the W10 features most requested be brought back in W11. Things don't look good based on M$'s response so far. (n)(n) And I rarely give anything the thumbs-down, let alone the double (n)(n)! :LOL:

Last edited: