Windows 11 - First look

mlnevese

Level 25
Verified
May 3, 2015
Managed to see what the optional update was. Windows was trying to downgrade my Intel Graphics driver to the version previous to the release of the first Windows 11 compatible driver.

Also, my report in the hub was moved to a collection. Many people seem to have the same bug.

SeriousHoax

Level 38
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
Managed to see what the optional update was. Windows was trying to downgrade my Intel Graphics driver to the version previous to the release of the first Windows 11 compatible driver.

Also, my report in the hub was moved to a collection. Many people seem to have the same bug.
You can use this tool to manage some things of Windows Update. It's created by the creator of the open source version of Sandboxie.
GitHub - DavidXanatos/wumgr: Windows update managemetn tool for windows 10
Windows was automatically downloading the latest non-stable AMD graphics driver on my device, which was causing some issues for me. Modifying registry or group policy to ignore driver updates doesn't work on this dev build. So I use this tool to hide the latest driver update, and now Windows Update doesn't install this driver anymore and I am able to use the latest stable driver available on AMD's website.
1.PNG

silversurfer

Level 76
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014

Windows 11 gets new versions of Snipping Tool, Mail, and Calculator​

The new apps updates are rolling out as part of the Windows 11 KB5005190 cumulative update (build 22000.132), released today to Windows Insiders in the 'Dev' channel.

silversurfer

Level 76
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014
In Windows 11, Microsoft has changed the way you set default apps. Like Windows 10, there’s a prompt that appears when you install a new browser and open a web link for the first time. It’s the only opportunity to easily switch browsers, though. Unless you tick “always use this app,” the default will never be changed. It’s incredibly easy to forget to toggle the “always use this app” option, and simply launch the browser you want from this prompt and never see this default choice again when you click web links.

mlnevese

Level 25
Verified
May 3, 2015

ISOs are now available for those who want to perform a clean install.

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 10
Verified
Apr 17, 2020

ISOs are now available for those who want to perform a clean install.
I just saw another article about that here:

Tutman

Level 10
Verified
Apr 17, 2020
If you join the insiders program to download the dev or beta Windows 11 build what happens when it officially comes out? Can you just revert back? I thought I was part of insiders long ago but don't remember the procedure.

mlnevese

Level 25
Verified
May 3, 2015
If you join the insiders program to download the dev or beta Windows 11 build what happens when it officially comes out? Can you just revert back? I thought I was part of insiders long ago but don't remember the procedure.

From Beta yes, from Dev, usually not. This time Microsoft is giviing this opportunity by keeping the same build in both Beta and Dev.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11 (sort of) comes to the web with simulated experience
What you need to know
  • An online simulator lets you play around with a replica of the Windows 11 interface.
  • The simulation is limited to the desktop and a few select apps, such as the Microsoft Store.
  • You can't actually run Windows 11 through the simulator, but you can get a taste of the operating system's look and feel.
Many are eager to get their hands onto Windows 11 but don't want to install preview software on their PC. A web simulator could help scratch the itch to test out Windows 11 without requiring people to become Windows Insiders. A website called win11.blueedge.me provides a simulation of the Windows 11 desktop.

Of course, this doesn't provide a functional replication of running the new operating system. It's more of an interactive mockup. Many elements, such as the widgets panel, appear to be renders designed to look like Windows 11 but aren't clickable. Clicking on the File Explorer shows a "Coming soon" page.

While it isn't the same as actually running Windows 11, the site's developers have done a decent job replicating the look and feel of the OS. The Start menu, Taskbar, and several aspects of the simulation appear similar to their functional counterparts, though they lack details like hover effects. It at least gives people a chance to click around an interface similar to the one seen on Windows 11.

If you'd like to safely try out a functional version of Microsoft's new OS, you can try Windows 11 alongside Windows 10 using a virtual machine. You can also check out the new version of Windows in action with our Windows 11 hands-on videos.