Windows 11 - First look

mlnevese

Level 25
Verified
May 3, 2015
You went back to Beta from Dev? Why?Historically DEV channel is where the unstable tests are done and Microsoft will soon start those.

Microsoft has been warning Insiders about instability in the next DEV builds as they will start to test new technologies.

Last edited:

plat1098

Level 25
Verified
Sep 13, 2018
Plenty of "test your machine's readiness" tools for Windows 11 but here's another one from this source if one would like to try:

It looks nice, very professional. BUT: SmartScreen and OSArmor find it objectionable. OSA rule: block .exe files from .zip/.rar/7z archives.

bytejam.png

Edit: thank you mlnevese for the reminder and warning. Just now left the DEV channel for the Beta--hopefully Beta has the best chance to keep things running status quo.

Last edited:

amirr

Level 20
Verified
Jan 26, 2020
Microsoft has been warning Insiders about instability in the next DEV builds as they will start to test new technologies.

Thank you. Is this normal at the moment that I can not switch to Beta from the current Dev build?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Closer Look: Start menu in Windows 11
Overall, I quite like the simplified look of the Start menu and the greater degree of control that users will have over it. I have never given a second glance at Live Tiles so their absence does not bother me at all either. I'll probably never used the pinned apps too since the only time I use the Start menu is when I press the Windows key to use the Windows Search.

That said, for Start menu power users, there are significant changes in store here. Provided that Microsoft fixes the Search integration, this will be a fairly new experience, especially for those accustomed to Live Tiles.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11 to only support one Intel 7th gen CPU, no AMD Zen CPUs:
Microsoft announced today that after investigating other potentially compatible processors for Windows 11, they only found one 7th generation Intel CPU to be compatible, and no AMD Zen CPUs.

When Microsoft first announced Windows 11, many users were upset, if not angry, about the new and stricter system requirements for the new operating system.

With the new TPM 2.0 requirement and a restricted list of compatible CPUs, many people found that their devices with Intel 7th generation and AMD Zen CPUs, which run Windows 10 flawlessly, can no longer upgrade to Windows 11.
Microsoft announced today that they had expanded their list of compatible 64-bit processors to include one Intel 7th generation CPU and newer Intel Core CPUs:
  • Intel Core X-series, Xeon W-series
  • Intel Core 7820HQ (only select devices that shipped with modern drivers based on Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support Apps (DCH) design principles, this includes Surface Studio 2)
Microsoft uses the Intel Core i7-7820HQ processor in their $3,500 Surface Studio 2 devices, so it is not surprising to see that this CPU found its way into the compatibility list.
Unfortunately, no other Intel 7th generation CPUs are compatible with Windows 11. Furthermore, after working with AMD to analyze first-generation AMD Zen CPUs, Microsoft determined that none of them were compatible with Windows 11.
In addition to the minor change in CPU compatibility, Microsoft has released a new version of their PC Health Check tool that provides more detailed information regarding why a device is not compatible with Windows 11.

With the new version, users will get detailed explanations as to what is missing to make their device compatible with Windows 11

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11 build 22000.168 for Beta and Dev channels adds new Microsoft 365 widget, more
Microsoft is releasing a new Windows 11 build that is heading out to both the Beta and Dev channels. Build 22000.168 brings a few improvements such as new Chat languages for the integrated Teams experience, a new Microsoft 365 widget for enterprise users with AAD accounts, and a bunch of bug fixes. What this build doesn’t add is support for running Android apps. It is anybody’s guess if that feature will make it in time for release this year at all, at this point.

With the release of Windows 11 now nearing, it is not surprising to see the firm begin focusing on bug-fixing releases, without adding major features. Dev channel users are also being asked to gear up to test bits that are slated to be added to the OS in a future release. The company has begun cautioning Dev channel users that the upcoming builds will be “less stable”.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
PC Health Check Application Preview
We are pleased to release an updated preview version of the new PC Health Check app that expands on the eligibility check functionality with more comprehensive messaging and links to relevant support articles. This app will tell you if your PC is eligible to upgrade to Windows 11.

We have provided three versions that support 64-bit Windows, 32-bit Windows plus Windows on Arm and Windows 10 for S mode PCs.

For more on Windows 11 minimum system requirements and changes to the PC Health Check app, see this post from the Windows Insider Blog.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft won’t stop you installing Windows 11 on older PCs
Microsoft is announcing today that it won’t block people from installing Windows 11 on most older PCs. While the software maker has recommended hardware requirements for Windows 11 — which it’s largely sticking to — a restriction to install the OS will only be enforced when you try to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 through Windows Update. This means anyone with a PC with an older CPU that doesn’t officially pass the upgrade test can still go ahead and download an ISO file of Windows 11 and install the OS manually.

Microsoft announced its Windows 11 minimum hardware requirements in June, and made it clear that only Intel 8th Gen and beyond CPUs were officially supported. Microsoft now tells us that this install workaround is designed primarily for businesses to evaluate Windows 11, and that people can upgrade at their own risk as the company can’t guarantee driver compatibility and overall system reliability. Microsoft won’t be recommending or advertising this method of installing Windows 11 to consumers.

It’s a big change that means millions of PCs won’t be left behind, technically. Consumers will still need to go to the effort of downloading an ISO file and manually installing Windows 11, which the vast majority probably won’t do. But for those happy to install Windows manually, the actual minimum Windows 11 specs mean that CPU generations don’t matter, as long as you have a 64-bit 1GHz processor with two or more cores, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage.
Microsoft Backs Down: Windows 11 Will Run on Any PC
One of the most significant sticking points with Windows 11 is the strict system requirements. However, Microsoft has just announced that any PC can install the Windows 11 ISO, opening up the new OS to just about anyone who wants to install it.

Windows 11 Running on Older PCs

Microsoft is mostly sticking to the original Windows 11 system requirements, though the company did add a few more processors to the list of supported models. However, the firm told The Verge that it would only enforce restrictions when upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11—a fresh installation with a Windows 11 ISO would have no such restrictions.

Of course, there’s no guarantee that Windows 11 will run well on older PCs since Microsoft is optimizing it for newer, more powerful computers. However, at least you’ll be able to try for yourself to see whether it’ll work. Microsoft also said it intends for this workaround to be used by businesses that wanted to evaluate Windows 11, not so much by regular users. The company doesn’t even plan to advertise this method to consumers.

You’ll still need to have a 64-bit 1GHz processor with two or more cores, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage to even think about running Windows 11, but at least your PC won’t have to fall into Microsoft’s stricter list of supported CPUs.

Of course, many more casual PC users will run the Windows 11 upgrade process, be told they can’t install the OS, and never think about downloading an ISO to install Windows 11. But for those willing to go through that extra layer, it’s nice to see that Microsoft has backed off and relaxed its stance.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 38
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
Plenty of "test your machine's readiness" tools for Windows 11 but here's another one from this source if one would like to try:

It looks nice, very professional. BUT: SmartScreen and OSArmor find it objectionable. OSA rule: block .exe files from .zip/.rar/7z archives.

Edit: thank you mlnevese for the reminder and warning. Just now left the DEV channel for the Beta--hopefully Beta has the best chance to keep things running status quo.
It was being detected as malware by Microsoft Defender for me. I submitted and the detection was removed but now the ASR rule of advanced ransomware protection doesn't like it. But it's not possible to submit an ASR rule related issue to Microsoft without a corporate account.

1630157544560.png

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2020

Microsoft is threatening to withhold Windows 11 updates if your CPU is old​

Yesterday, we wrote how Microsoft’s Windows 11 won’t technically leave millions of PCs behind — the company told us it won’t actually block you from installing Windows 11 on a PC with an older CPU, so long as you download and manually install an ISO file all by yourself. But it turns out even that technicality has a technicality. Microsoft is now threatening to withhold Windows Updates from your copy of Windows 11 — potentially even security updates — if you take that route.

We’re not sure why the company didn’t mention it in our original briefing, but Microsoft has since told The Verge that unsupported PCs won’t be entitled to receive Windows Updates, and that even security and driver updates may be withheld.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016

Microsoft is threatening to withhold Windows 11 updates if your CPU is old​

It’s quite possible this is just a cover-your-ass measure on Microsoft’s part. It’s hard to imagine that Microsoft wouldn’t issue critical security patches, when we’ve often seen the company extend support and offer the occasional free patch even after it’s shelved an operating system for good. If I were in Microsoft’s shoes, I might just want to discourage people from thinking I was offering a warranty and technical support for every possible PC configuration under the sun to avoid potential legal headaches down the road. Better to underpromise and overdeliver.
But it’s also possible Microsoft genuinely does mean to withhold patches at some point in the future — potentially even at launch. Microsoft declined to clarify things further at this time, which suggests the company’s perfectly happy for us to assume this is a genuine threat.
Why leave us in the dark? My best guess is the one I offered yesterday, when I wrote how “The Windows 11 upgrade situation just got less and more confusing”: the company seemingly wants to push Windows users to buy a new PC, whether they need one or not. Yesterday, the company told us about a loophole that could placate some of the company's vocal power users who don’t want to give up their old hardware. But if that loophole gets in the way of Microsoft’s plans, the company is reserving the right to make it far less attractive.

pxxb1

Level 5
Jan 17, 2018
Anyone knows if a W11 installation that is not connected to the insider channel gets updates?

Pretty pointless to do it if one does not get more than updates for M.D.

SeriousHoax

Level 38
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
Anyone knows if a W11 installation that is not connected to the insider channel gets updates?

Pretty pointless to do it if one does not get more than updates for M.D.
You probably shouldn't use Windows 11 now if that's what you're trying to do. So it's better to wait till October.
With that said, you may try installing using the ISO and then use this tool to download and install updates. I haven't tried it on such builds so let me know if it works without registering your account to the insider channel.