Update Windows 11 - First look

oldschool

Level 61
Verified
Mar 29, 2018

pxxb1

Level 4
Jan 17, 2018
99.99% won't know. These types of bypass show how silly is Microsoft becoming day by day. Home users require internet connection while Pro, Enterprise, etc. don't.
It doesn't make any sense.

Of course it makes sense, they recon that home users may need more help, therefore Ms account, because of unknowingness but that pro etc are more advanced and can make it on their own. Makes sense to me, even though i do not like the way it is arranged now.

Local Host

Level 24
Verified
Sep 26, 2017
Of course it makes sense, they recon that home users may need more help, therefore Ms account, because of unknowingness but that pro etc are more advanced and can make it on their own. Makes sense to me, even though i do not like the way it is arranged now.
That's not the reason however, Pro and Enterprise versions of Windows are used in companies, and are normally used in bulk, not only that, but you aren't going to use your personal account at work.

There would be no sane reason to enforce Microsoft Accounts at Businesses.

SeriousHoax

Level 37
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
No, it does not make sense. Windows 10 Home does not require an internet connection for installation and it doesn't have any downside due to that. Same goes for Windows 11 Home. There isn't any radical changes here. Microsoft is forcing just because they can.

rain2reign

Level 5
Jun 21, 2020
Microsoft has been forcing the normalization of their systems account use, aka your Microsoft account, on their systems. Which in fact does makes sense, even though most would not agree with why they are doing it as such including myself.

Just to play the devil's advocate here, one such reasoning is licencing. An upgrade to Windows 11, same way it was with Windows 10 upgrade 10 years ago, also means to upgrade the licence type/versioning from which in this case is a digital licence bound to a Microsoft account. Meaning at some point in time you have to log in into Windows (10/11) to upgrade the licence (in the backend database) tied to your account.​
On the other hand, however the majority of the people against "required internet connection", btw I'm one of them, in discussions regarding this subject all over the internet tend to forget the vast majority of HOME users are barely tech-capable (if not, completely incapable at all). The mindset that everyone knows just as much or close enough goes very strong on software and tech forums where such discussions are primarily held. The "majority" knows just enough on how to access their email, browser and/or their smartphone. Looking at it from that perspective, it's not unreasonable to think that they would want to automate it on their end, so all the end-user has to do is login once.​

That being said, It doesn't make it any less appalling, but it does make the discussion more interesting. The regular home user is not going to look up on Google, on either his/her phone or Windows 10 machine, prior to the upgrade with the search term "Windows 11 upgrade no internet connection".

CyberTech

Level 36
Verified
Nov 10, 2017
Windows 11's general availability is mere weeks away, and this also means that we are getting a near-final look at the OS' first release, at least in the Beta Channel. Although we have discussed Windows 11's major features from a bird's eye view, we have been discussing those features, and more, in our regular Closer Look articles.

So far, we have taken a look at Search, Widgets, the Start menu, Snap Layouts and Snap Groups, the Taskbar, quick settings and notifications, and Virtual Desktops in Windows 11. Today, it is time to discuss the power and battery configurations available in the OS.

For the purpose of this hands-on, we'll be taking a look at Windows 11 build 22000.184 that was released to the Beta Channel a couple of days ago versus a publicly available and up-to-date Windows 10 (version 21H1 build 19043.1202). As usual, it is important to note that the OS is still under active development so it's possible that some of the features we talk about may change by the time of Windows 11's general availability.

Full article

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 50
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft tests out new Start menu option in Windows 11 build 22458
What you need to know
  • Windows 11 build 22458 is now available for Insiders in the Dev Channel.
  • The build adds a link to the sign-in options from the power menu within Start.
  • The latest build also addresses several bugs.

pxxb1

Level 4
Jan 17, 2018
So far i have always got W11 updates through W.update even though i am not in any "channel" or been able to download from uup dump, now none of that works. Uup dump shows error to download and W.update finds nothing even though it came an update yesterday. Hmm. Anyone else?

Reactions: oldschool

cruelsister

Level 38
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 13, 2013
Although I probably will not take the leap to Win11 myself anytime soon (if at all), I have been in contact with a fair number of folk who have done so. Leaving aside personal esthetic preferences of those brave souls, it does seem that a common observation is that Win11 is more resource hungry than the latest Win10 build (at rest on 64bit systems).

Anyway, for fun I wonder if any here that will make the switch to 11 would baseline their current systems with something like GeekBench, then re-run the test after Win11 officially drops.

I'm curious to see if it's just that I polled the wrong people.

Reiner

Level 2
Jan 26, 2021
Although I probably will not take the leap to Win11 myself anytime soon (if at all), I have been in contact with a fair number of folk who have done so. Leaving aside personal esthetic preferences of those brave souls, it does seem that a common observation is that Win11 is more resource hungry than the latest Win10 build (at rest on 64bit systems).

Anyway, for fun I wonder if any here that will make the switch to 11 would baseline their current systems with something like GeekBench, then re-run the test after Win11 officially drops.

I'm curious to see if it's just that I polled the wrong people.
On the contrary, Windows 11 consumes much less compared to 10, I've been using it here for a few weeks and it's super light and much faster to respond and open things up, I don't want to go back to Windows 10 :cool:

plat1098

Level 25
Verified
Sep 13, 2018
I don't find any appreciable increase in consumption of most resources either, though I'm going by subjective impressions.

Does seem to consume less memory, believe it or not. Doesn't use a lot of cpu power either. The only thing: , 2-3 GBs of disk space at a time mysteriously disappear and aren't recoverable (I use WinDirStat). I don't know if these are logs related to the Feedback Hub or what, and I haven't been able to recover these despite efforts and searches. I can spare the GBs easily but that's not the point.

I find this about as annoying as a mosquito whining in your ear but you can't find it once you turn the light on. It's been like this off and on in Windows 11.

Local Host

Level 24
Verified
Sep 26, 2017
On the contrary, Windows 11 consumes much less compared to 10, I've been using it here for a few weeks and it's super light and much faster to respond and open things up, I don't want to go back to Windows 10 :cool:
Still think performance reports are placebo, from having a new Windows Setup, same result can be experienced when re-installing Windows 10.

So I'll say performance between the two is exactly the same, until proper benchmarks are released.

Reiner

Level 2
Jan 26, 2021
Still think performance reports are placebo, from having a new Windows Setup, same result can be experienced when re-installing Windows 10.

So I'll say performance between the two is exactly the same, until proper benchmarks are released.
I don't need a number to notice how much better than 10, nothing replaces the day-to-day experience, if you were to wait for a benchmark you'll never use anything, even because the best machines are used there and each system reacts differently , that's why I don't trust benchmark, I just trust my own experience ;)

SeriousHoax

Level 37
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
The only thing that was slow for me was the file explorer but even that has become better now. Though right-clicking a file or a folder is still slightly slow compared to Windows 10 but that's it. Everything else feels the same as Windows 10 performance wise. My Windows 10 wasn't slow and I don't see anything slowing down now in 11 either. CPU and ram consumption is still similar. I don't care about benchmark scores either tbh. Ironically, Windows/Microsoft Defender is the most CPU hungry pre-installed thing on Windows 10/11 in my experience which most users know already. Otherwise, I played games, edited videos, etc basic stuff and I have nothing to complain about the resource consumption.
Anyone who reported about such issues probably forgot that it's a beta/dev build. So what they noticed could be related to Windows collecting and sending error reports back to them, running more things in the background than the stable build will and these may have created some slight performance impact for them. After the official release on October 5th, I'll use Windows 11 like I used Windows 10 with unnecessary bloatware removed, error reporting, telemetry etc turned off as much as possible without breaking anything of course.
BTW, Microsoft said they have improved performance by doing simple things like giving the foreground process the maximum priority. But isn't this all OS do? Maybe they have further optimized it. They also said to have worked on reducing ram consumption of certain internal stuff.
Maybe someone will be able to test these little things properly. Anyway, as I said based on my day to day experience I have nothing to complain about the performance and resource consumption.

amirr

Level 16
Jan 26, 2020
@SeriousHoax
Is this better to enable this option?