Windows 11 - First look

SeriousHoax

Level 38
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax
Is this better to enable this option?
I don't know. Is it enabled on latest Windows 10 versions?

Reactions: Nevi

oldschool

Level 62
Verified
Mar 29, 2018
@SeriousHoax
Updated 4/1/19: The article has been updated to reflect that an additional process is launched that handles the open folders, not a process for each folder.

rain2reign

Level 6
Jun 21, 2020
I don't know. Is it enabled on latest Windows 10 versions?
1631900516629.png

Its not enabled by default on Windows 10 (pro). Which is odd given the title i guess?

mlnevese

Level 24
Verified
May 3, 2015
@SeriousHoax
This used to be bugged in a previous version... Explorer would crash and open the windows using the old UI. I don't know if it's fixed now.

pxxb1

Level 5
Jan 17, 2018
Although I probably will not take the leap to Win11 myself anytime soon (if at all), I have been in contact with a fair number of folk who have done so. Leaving aside personal esthetic preferences of those brave souls, it does seem that a common observation is that Win11 is more resource hungry than the latest Win10 build (at rest on 64bit systems).

Anyway, for fun I wonder if any here that will make the switch to 11 would baseline their current systems with something like GeekBench, then re-run the test after Win11 officially drops.

I'm curious to see if it's just that I polled the wrong people.

For me W11 is faster, not much, but definitiely snappier in everything. Now even the start up with the latest build as of yesterday. But that is the only thing good with it, the rest is the same, besides the start menus function which is destroyed.

For me a new Os should mean improvments to everything, betterment of the usage of all the basics that make up Windows, otherwise, as for now, it is the same but polished! Theese changes they could have done within the frame of W10. Schedular, services, defender etc is as tedious as before to handle even though Ms has had the opportunity to get idèas from other software over the years to improve that.

That, for me, shows a catastrohpic lack of new thinking within such a large company. We new before that things where smelly, fishy, within this company but now, hmm.

rain2reign

Level 6
Jun 21, 2020
Windows 11 has a higher RAM requirement of 4GB at this moment of writing in contrast to Window 10's requirement of 1Gb for 32bit(x86) or 2GB for 64bit(x64). It does feel snappier, more responsive and look a lot more uniform rather than a mix of win xp, win8 and windows 7 all in one with Windows 10. But it does come at that price of more ram usage. Which is not a terrible thing, since most PC's and laptops come with 8GB or 16 for PC depending on make and model, but its still there. ;)

plat1098

Level 25
Verified
Sep 13, 2018
Wow, just picked this up on my Twitter list. In a nutshell, Windows 11 is no longer compatible with Oracle VirtualBox virtual machine.

Anyone find this out the hard way yet?

carl fish

Level 6
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I have a question My laptop is currently running Windows 11 build 22000.184, is it worth going to the latest dev build yet, I have currently paused windows update for the moment while Microsoft fixes the taskbar icon issues but for some reason I cant the extend time of the paused updates beyond one week dispute having win 11 pro, i don't know this is?

amirr

Level 18
Verified
Jan 26, 2020
I have a question My laptop is currently running Windows 11 build 22000.184, is it worth going to the latest dev build yet, I have currently paused windows update for the moment while Microsoft fixes the taskbar icon issues but for some reason I cant the extend time of the paused updates beyond one week dispute having win 11 pro, i don't know this is?
A friend did a clean install of Windows 11 via Beta, 22000.132 ISO
I asked him why he didnt wait till Oct5 and he said:
Because, the final Build would be the same aka 22000. The stable Build would be http://22000. XXX, which would just roll down as CU(or already has)

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

silversurfer

Level 75
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014

Some native Windows 11 apps require an Internet connection on first launch​

If you launch some native applications on Microsoft's new Windows 11 operating system for the first time, you may notice that these applications need an update from the Internet, more precisely the Microsoft Store, before they can be launched on the system.

If the device is offline on first run, applications such as Sticky Notes can't be launched until the system goes online and downloads the required files from the Microsoft Store.

microsoft to-do

Solution​

The only option that Windows 11 users have is to either find replacements for these applications, or launch the applications while Internet is available, maybe on first start of the system if Internet connectivity is available.

Microsoft should have marked these applications specifically to make it easier to distinguish between those that require Internet connectivity and those that can be run immediately, even while offline.

rain2reign

Level 6
Jun 21, 2020
View attachment 260731

Sadly I can't run Windows 11 even with the three year old hardware as the Microsoft's PC Health Check app .
Technically i5-6600K is around 6-7 years old. Your current windows installation is 3 years old. I tried application just now, and it said the same thing for my 4 yo hardware on a 1 year old reinstallation of Windows 10. Said "1 years old".

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 50
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11 Full Review: New UI, Features and Changes
A quick review of Windows 11 in one word would be “Just beautiful”. When I installed Windows 11 in one of my Windows 10 devices and I signed into the Desktop, I was amazed to see the beautiful wallpaper, centered Taskbar, new rounded UI and the new icons.

I know I’m a little bit late to the party but as they say “Better late than never”. People were asking me several questions regarding Windows 11 like is it better than Windows 10? Is it a good idea to switch to Windows 11? Many readers also requested me to write an exclusive and complete review of Windows 11 in my style i.e. simple, detailed and easy to understand. So here is my hands-on review of Windows 11 with images.

If you are planning to install Windows 11 in your computer system or planning to buy a new PC which will come with Windows 11 preinstalled, this in-depth and comprehensive review article will help you in understanding new Windows 11 features, changes and its brand new user interface.

oldschool

Level 62
Verified
Mar 29, 2018
A quick review of Windows 11 in one word would be “Just beautiful”. When I installed Windows 11 in one of my Windows 10 devices and I signed into the Desktop, I was amazed to see the beautiful wallpaper, centered Taskbar, new rounded UI and the new icons.
... and then he looked under the hood to see the details. And, voila! ...
All these missing options will be added in future via cumulative updates or feature updates to Windows 11.
Maybe! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Thanks for the info. I'll be waiting ... until 2025

amirr

Level 18
Verified
Jan 26, 2020

"It has been a bumpy ride as far as messaging about unsupported hardware goes, in fact the minimum hardware requirements changed again at the end of August, so it is still possible that the messaging and waiver could still change before or after the release of Windows 11."