Windows 11 - First look

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
At this point, it would be weird if a huge Windows update like Windows 11 didn’t cause major issues, so performance issues shouldn’t come as a surprise. Windows 11 version 21H2 or Build 22000.194 has resulted in major performance slowdown, internet issues, and a host of other problems for some users.

Released on October 5, Windows 11 is the latest version of the operating system and it comes with a new Start menu, notification center, and downgraded taskbar. Benchmarks previously suggested that Windows 11 will be slightly faster than Windows 10, but AMD has now confirmed system slowdowns.
AMD and Microsoft are investigating reports of Windows 11 performance issues. According to a support document published by AMD, Windows 11 could reduce the performance of certain apps.

As per the document, L3 cache latency may increase by three times, which could affect the performance of memory-intensive apps. AMD is expecting a performance impact of 3-5% in certain apps, while games can slow down by 10-15%.

Microsoft is planning to address these issues in the next cumulative update, which is scheduled to arrive in October 2021.

Additional Information​

AMD and Microsoft are partnering to resolve these issues with upcoming software updates. This knowledge base article will be updated to include version numbers and how to update when they are available.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

Level 4
Aug 17, 2013
Light mode in one word just .... sucks
Dark mode is not that bad, 11 runs smooth , even on unsupported and old hardware.
There are already ways to bypass TPM, Secure Boot and GPU requirements if your machine does not pass, bad part is you will not receive Windows updates which means you will need to do a clean install every update which is a pain. Give it some time , someone will create a work around to get Windows updates just as they did for Windows 7. Until then I remain on 10.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020

Microsoft adds tamper protection to Windows 11 security baseline​

Microsoft has released the final version of its security configuration baseline settings for Windows 11, downloadable today using the Microsoft Security Compliance Toolkit.

"Two new settings have been added for this release (which were also added to the Windows Server 2022 release), a new Microsoft Defender Antivirus setting, and a custom setting for printer driver installation restrictions," Microsoft security consultant Rick Munck said.
Human operated ransomware protection by default
When enabling the Microsoft Security Baseline for Windows 11, Redmond urges admins to ensure that Microsoft Defender for Endpoint's tamper protection feature, which adds additional protection against human-operated ransomware attacks, is enabled.

It does that by blocking attempts made by malware or threat actors to disable security solutions and OS security features that would allow them to gain easier access to sensitive data and deploy malware or malicious tools.

Tamper protection sets up Microsoft Defender Antivirus using secure default values and hinders attempts to change them via the registry, PowerShell cmdlets, or group policies.

Once tamper protection is toggled on, ransomware operators would have a much more challenging task ahead of them when trying to"
  • Disable virus and threat protection
  • Disable real-time protection
  • Turnoff behavior monitoring
  • Disable antivirus (such as IOfficeAntivirus (IOAV))
  • Disable cloud-delivered protection
  • Remove security intelligence updates

PrintNightmare and Edge Legacy recommendations​

With the new security baseline, Microsoft also added a new setting to the MS Security Guide custom administrative template to restrict printer driver installation to administrators.

This new recommendation follows patches released since July 2021 to address the CVE-2021-34527 PrintNightmare remote code execution vulnerability in the Windows Print Spooler service.

Microsoft also removed all Microsoft Edge Legacy settings after the EdgeHTML-based web browser reached the end of support in March and was removed from Windows 11.

'Going forward, please use the new Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) baseline, which is on a separate release cadence and available as part of the Microsoft Security Compliance Toolkit," Munck said.

Download and implement the security baseline​

Windows security baselines provide admins with Microsoft-recommended security configuration baselines designed to reduce Windows systems' attack surface and boost the overall security posture of Windows enterprise endpoints.

"A security baseline is a group of Microsoft-recommended configuration settings that explains their security impact," as Microsoft explains. "These settings are based on feedback from Microsoft security engineering teams, product groups, partners, and customers."

The Windows 11 security baseline is available for download via the Microsoft Security Compliance Toolkit. It includes Group Policy Object (GPO) backups and reports, scripts to apply settings to the local GPO, and Policy Analyzer rules files.

"Please download the content from the Microsoft Security Compliance Toolkit, test the recommended configurations, and customize / implement as appropriate," Munck added.

Further details on the changes implemented in the Windows 11 baseline are available on the Microsoft Security Baselines blog post announcing this release.

SeriousHoax

Level 42
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
When I installed the dev build when it came out and later when I moved to beta, VBS was turned on for me by default except the memory integrity feature. And now in the stable build that is freshly installed, I have VBS turned off even though my device is WIndows 11 compatible :unsure: I didn't check it right after installation though. So it's possible that Windows Update or AMD driver update may have automatically turned it off due to the ongoing performance issue on AMD systems.

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

How to sign-in to Windows 11 automatically​

Automatic sign-ins work best with local accounts. It is highly recommended to use a local account on Windows 11. Automatic sign-ins to Windows 11 work only if Windows Hello is not enabled. Two-factor authentication, e.g. by using Microsoft's Authenticator application, may also cause issues. You can add new local user accounts under Settings > Accounts > Family & Other users > Add account.

. If you sign-in using a PIN or by using other authentication options powered by Windows Hello, you can't enable automatic sign-ins to Windows 11. In this case, it is necessary to disable Windows Hello functionality first. Windows 11 users who sign-in using a local account or by not using Windows Hello functionality can skip to the next section.
  1. Open the Settings application on the Windows 11 PC, e.g. with the shortcut Windows-I, or by selecting Start > Settings.
  2. Go to Accounts > Sign-in options.
  3. Disable "For improved security, only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts in this device (Recommended)". It should read off once you have done so.
  4. Expand the current sign-in method under "Ways to sign in", and select the Remove option.
Tip: if Remove is grayed out under PIN, select the forgot PIN link that is displayed. You are asked to sign-in using the Microsoft account password and then set a new PIN. Instead of adding a new PIN, select Cancel on the dialog and close the window.

Now that this is out of the way, it is time to configure Windows 11 for automatic logins.

local windows 11 account automatic sign-in

1. Use the shortcut Windows-R to open the run box of the system.
  2. Type netplwiz and hit Enter; this opens the User Account management page.
  3. Select the account that you want to sign-in automatically on the PC.
  4. Uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer".
  5. Select Apply and confirm the account password.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Restart the computer.
Windows 11 should sign you in to the selected account automatically from that moment on.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 61
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Explorer Patcher for Windows 11
This project aims to bring back a productive working environment on Windows 11.
In the Releases section, you will find a download for a DLL called dxgi.dll. It has been tested on the latest stable build of Windows 11 (22000.194), but it may work just fine on newer builds too. This is the runtime part of the application. You need to place this DLL in the following location: C:\Windows. This will enable the following functionality:
  • use the classic taskbar from Windows 10 (without the nasty effects of UndockingDisabled)
  • restores the classic power user menu (Win+X) when using the classic taskbar
  • Start menu follows the taskbar alignment setting (Left/Center) specified in Settings\Personalization\Taskbar\Taskbar behaviors\Taskbar alignment
  • ability to show the Start menu on the monitor containing the cursor when pressing the Windows key
  • skin "Safe to Remove Hardware" and "Bluetooth" popup menus
  • play log on sound, if enabled
  • option to hide the search bar in File Explorer
  • option to disable the control center button in the taskbar
  • show the "All apps" list by default when opening the Start menu
  • customize the maximum number of "Most used" apps displayed in the "All apps" list in Start
Also, if you place the StartAllBackX64.dll file from StartAllback (needs a DLL with SHA-256: D8D1484D6F7DE94C5018B03A5A93EE8BBB7795BCA5408A721CBB74BE28065689) in the folder %appdata%\ExplorerPatcher (create if it does not exist), the following additional features will be enabled:
  • option to apply Mica effect on File Explorer windows
  • option to skin system tray icons to match Windows 11 style
After you have completed the above setup, make sure you have an active Internet connection and restart the Explorer process using Task Manager or by issuing the following command: taskkill /f /im explorer.exe. Once File Explorer restarts, some necessary files (symbol files) will be downloaded from Microsoft (around 50MB). This should be relatively quick, depending on your Internet connection speed. When this is done, File Explorer will restart again and will be ready for use. Notifications should show up informing you about the progress, and you can also use Task Manager to watch for network activity. This process only happens when a new Windows 11 build is installed on the machine.

Now, the classic taskbar should be enabled. Still, there is some more setup to do, depending on your preferences.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 61
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Sordum's new app helps restore the classic Context Menu on Windows 11
Like many of the other items, the Context Menu or the right-click menu in Windows 11 has also undergone changes compared to what it previously was in 10. The UI has been slimmed down tremendously with many of the options having gone into the new newly added "Show more options".

However, if you are a fan of how the older Context Menu looked or maybe don't like clicking the Show more options often, you may want to check out Sordum's new application dubbed "Win 11 Classic Context Menu". This new app essentially restores the classic Classic Menu style from Windows 10. (image above). For those who are unaware, Sordum is known for making some useful Windows-based software like Defender Control, among other stuff.

The classic look of the Context Menu can also be restored via making tweaks and changes to the registry and this appears to be a tool that does basically that without the hassle of manually having to edit the registry.

The tool seems pretty intuitive too as the legacy right-click menu can be switched on by simply clicking the "Enable Win11 Classic Context Menu Style" and can be disabled by clicking the option just below it. The software will also alert the user in case the Explorer needs to be restarted.

If you're interested, you can download the software by visiting Sordum's official website here.
Here is the registry method:

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020

Windows 11 incompatible with apps using non-ASCII registry keys​

Microsoft is blocking Windows 11 upgrades if customers use applications that create registry keys using some non-ASCII characters.

As the company explains, on impacted systems such apps might be unable to open and could also cause other issues or errors in Windows 11, version 21H2 including blue screens.
"Compatibility issues have been found between apps using some non-ASCII characters in their registry keys or subkeys and Windows 11," Microsoft explains.
"Affected apps might be unable to open and might cause other issues or errors in Windows, including the possibility of receiving an error with a blue screen."
To make things even worse, in some cases, registry keys with non-ASCII characters might also be irreparable.

Even thought it doesn't say it on the known issue's Windows Health dashboard entry, Microsoft has merged it with a previous bug preventing Cốc Cốc browser users to upgrade to Windows 11.

"If your organization is using Update Compliance, the safeguard ID for devices with Cốc Cốc browser is 35891494," Redmond says.
Microsoft has applied a compatibility hold to safeguard the users' experience by blocking affected Windows devices from being offered or installing Windows 11.
Customers are also advised not to attempt to manually upgrade via the Update now button or to use the Media Creation Tool until a fix is available.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
I spent all day yesterday after enabling TPM on BIOS, to try and convert my drives to GPT.
Command Prompt solutions available on several sites did not work. BTW how to implement yellow's circled suggestionon CP screenshot
Using MiniTool tells me that doing so I wont able to reboot again.
Reinstalling windows 10 did not work either. I did a reset this PC is there any other ways?

Attachments

• MBR to GPT.png
    MBR to GPT.png
    343.1 KB · Views: 61
  • CP2.png
    CP2.png
    38 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: oldschool

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I spent all day yesterday after enabling TPM on BIOS, to try and convert my drives to GPT.
Command Prompt solutions available on several sites did not work. BTW how to implement yellow's circled suggestionon CP screenshot
Using MiniTool tells me that doing so I wont able to reboot again.
Reinstalling windows 10 did not work either. I did a reset this PC is there any other ways?
You could open the CMD in the Windows 10/11 bootable environment or if you have all your documents backed up than you could let the bootable USB do it. In case of Win11 ,Bootable USB, when you delete all partitions and remake them they will be GPT by default (Win10 makes MBR by default).

Built-in MBR2GPT tool CMD that you screenshotted worked for me, but If I was going to reset/reinstall anyway, since the assisitent made my install corrupt, I just deleted all partitions in the bootable USB Win11 environment and let windows installation do it for me automatically.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
You could open the CMD in the Windows 10/11 bootable environment or if you have all your documents backed up than you could let the bootable USB do it. In case of Win11 ,Bootable USB, when you delete all partitions and remake them they will be GPT by default (Win10 makes MBR by default).
Thanks.
Let me see if I got you right:
I download from Windows Media Creation Tool W11 into a USB.
If I go through all the prompts somewhere during the installation I'll have the choice to delete the partitions?