Windows 11 - First look

roger_m

Level 34
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The Windows 11 installer was showing the error message This PC Must Support TPM 2.0, even though I had created a flash drive using the "Extended" mode in the new Rufus beta.

I followed the steps in the Microsoft link that @Jack provided, as well as some other registry fixes, but I still could not upgrade. Maybe this is because I don't even have a TPM 1.2 chip. However, I was able to fix the issue by taking the steps in the following link, and my computer is upgrading to Windows 11 right now.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 76
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014

Windows 11 on incompatible systems: Windows Update is working fine​

Yesterday was the first Patch Tuesday after the release of the Windows 11 operating system a week earlier. It was clear that Microsoft would release the first cumulative update for Windows 11 on the day.

One question that users from all over the world had before the first update was, whether updates would be delivered to systems that don't meet the minimum system requirements of Windows 11.

Especially one sentence by Microsoft stuck out: If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. The company did its best at being as ambiguous as possible, and users were worried that their devices would not even receive security updates if they did not meet the minimum system requirements. Ultimately, this would result in users having to go back to Windows 10 or install a different operating system altogether on the device.

Yesterday's release of KB5006674 for Windows 11 provided a definitive answer, one that Microsoft did not provide. A quick test on several devices running Windows 11, all but one not meeting Microsoft's system requirements for Windows 11, resulted in a successful update delivery.

Kees1958

Level 4
Verified
Sep 5, 2021
Have you used H_C or SWH on this laptop before updating?
No I used a reg file which ran with default level unrestricted (allow), SWH file types, for all users except admin with:
a) H_C windows folder protection (the 'UAC' holes allowing basic user to write in some Windows sub-folders
b) Restricting legacy App folders in program files and program files (x86) like Mail, Internet Explorer and Windows Media player
c) Restricting legacy file extensions system wide like jar, java, pif, cla, class, swf, hta, xbap and com
d) Restricting most common script shells like cmd.exe, cscriipt.exe, wscript.exe, powershell.exe, powershell_ise.exe
e) Basic user block for cmd and bat file extension (allowing run as admin)
f) Set additional unrestricted rules (as an extra precaution) for default allow rules (through reg reference and environment variables)

Configure Defender was set to Max (on a recent HP AMD Ryzen 5 laptop) and hardening settings of SWH were set (except disabling wscript)through another reg-file.

Update succeeded without problems and everything seems to work ok after the update (also the SRP rules set with above reg-file).

Last edited:

amirr

Level 21
Verified
Jan 26, 2020

Windows 11 on incompatible systems: Windows Update is working fine​

Thanks, but I read this below before:

"Update (August 28): An "unsupported state," in this case, means your PC won't be entitled to receive updates via Windows Update. These may (or may not) include security and driver updates. As a result, your PC may encounter compatibility issues and become unusable, may experience issues that Microsoft support won't be able to help resolve, and may not be covered by warranty."

Windows 11 on incompatible systems: Windows Update is working fine - gHacks Tech News
"A successful delivery does not necessarily mean that future updates will also be provided, but it is clear that customers, who run Windows 11 on devices that are not compatible officially, will receive updates."

Kees1958

Level 4
Verified
Sep 5, 2021
I noticed on Windows 11 powershell is now called the Windows Terminal. This looks like cmd and wscript are now officially carried to their grave, but in the Microsoft tradition of backward compatibility are still supported (but probably not used by Microsoft self anymore for updates).

EDIT I was wrong :) Windows terminal supports all kinds of shell environents from cmd and powershell to azure and linux (even side-by-side) link to Microsoft video

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Jul 3, 2015
Two issues I had in Windows 11, maybe someone knows a fix?

1 My Bose bluetooth headphones can pair but not connect. Windows bluetooth manager says they are connected, but the headphones say they are not. They worked fine in Win10.

2 My Win11 virtual machine only has a floating language bar, and the option "Docked in the taskbar" is greyed out

Win 11 feels faster and looks great. Wish I could solve these niggling issues.
The floating language bar issue can be fixed by unticking "show language bar" in Windows settings.

silversurfer

Level 76
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks, but I read this below before:

"Update (August 28): An "unsupported state," in this case, means your PC won't be entitled to receive updates via Windows Update. These may (or may not) include security and driver updates. As a result, your PC may encounter compatibility issues and become unusable, may experience issues that Microsoft support won't be able to help resolve, and may not be covered by warranty."

Windows 11 on incompatible systems: Windows Update is working fine - gHacks Tech News
"A successful delivery does not necessarily mean that future updates will also be provided, but it is clear that customers, who run Windows 11 on devices that are not compatible officially, will receive updates."

Of course, it’s possible all ways to bypass requirements of Windows 11 doesn’t work forever, but what we would loose if we just trying to use Windows 11 in this way... Everyone can always going one step back to install Windows 10 by performing a clean-install of latest version Windows 10 😉

silversurfer

Level 76
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014
*all ways or always? ;)

I meant that it's possible all known "how to bypass requirements of Windows 11" doesn't work forever. For instance, your mentioned Cumulative-Updates may can't be delivered or similar major issues happens, then users are forced to re-install Windows 10, but my point was that I won't loosing much except my time when I'm trying to use Windows 11. My laptop is supported but it is not the case for my Desktop with older Hardware.

Andy Ful

Level 73
Verified
Trusted
Developer
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful

I noticed on Windows 11 powershell is now called the Windows Terminal. This looks like cmd and wscript arenow officially carried to their grave, but in the Microsoft tradition of backward compatibility are still supported (but probably not used by Microsoft self anymore for updates).

What is your opinion about the latest name change to windows terminal?

regards Kees

I think that Windows Terminal is not a PowerShell replacement. It is a simple terminal that allows running Command Prompt, PowerShell, and Azure Cloud Shell as well. Wscript is not included because it is not a console program (would require additional work).(y)

1634143764486.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Kees1958

Level 4
Verified
Sep 5, 2021
I think that Windows Terminal is not a PowerShell replacement. It is a simple terminal that allows running Command Prompt, PowerShell, and Azure Cloud Shell as well. Wscript is not included because it is not a console program (would require additional work).(y)

View attachment 261233
Yes I edited post two minutes before you finished typing this post. I posted a video also. Thanks for your answer (y)

rain2reign

Level 6
Jun 21, 2020
Windows Terminal has been in development for a few years now, its latest stable release is integrated into Windows 11, but it has been available as a download for Windows 10 for quite a while. I use it all the time, to keep all the powershell and cmd prompts in the same window, to the desktop organized. Plus you can run multiple powershell windows side-to-side to keep things readable. :p

amirr

Level 21
Verified
Jan 26, 2020

What you need to know

• During the buildup to Windows 11's release, Microsoft kept its wording vague regarding whether unsupported PCs would get Windows 11 updates.
  • Microsoft confirmed that users on unsupported devices would not be entitled to updates, though whether they'd receive any wasn't clarified.
  • Now, with Windows 11 having received its first slew of Patch Tuesday security updates, it's now confirmed that unsupported PCs running the operating system can stay up to date (for now).

VecchioScarpone

Level 5
Aug 19, 2017
Working on enabling Secure Boot on Gigabyte BIOS. So far all methods I found require expertise I lack.
W11 installed flawlessly without Secure Boot on though.
Do I assume correctly that as my system support Secure boot I don't have to enable it and wont have any issue with updates and future upgrade.
Heard it from the grapevine that Secure boot and TPM are a ruse to allow MS to dictate and watch what you put on your computer.:devilish:

Attachments

• Secure boot.png
    Secure boot.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: