Windows 11 - First look

Back3

Level 9
Apr 14, 2019
On my system, W11 is about the same size as W10. I checked my image backups with Macrium..
2021-08-29 W10
2021-10-13 W11
2021-10-14 W11 without Windows .old

Capture d’écran 2021-10-14 050455.jpg

silversurfer

Level 76
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft has confirmed new Windows 11 known issues which cause printers installation fails on systems commonly found in enterprise environments.

As Redmond explains, printer installation might fail when attempted over the network on devices that access printers via print server using HTTP connections.

Installing printers might also not complete successfully via the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) in organizations sharing an IPP printer using printer connections.

Given that this known issue impacts only the automatic download and installation processes, Microsoft says that administrators can still install printer drivers on the client by copying packaged drivers from a known good package location as a workaround.

The issues impact both client and server platforms, including:
  • Client: Windows 10, version 21H1; Windows 10, version 20H2; Windows 10, version 2004; Windows 10, version 1909; Windows 10, version 1809; Windows 10, version 1607; Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB; Windows 8.1; Windows 7 SP1; Windows 11, version 21H2
  • Server: Windows Server 2022; Windows Server, version 20H2; Windows Server, version 2004; Windows Server, version 1909; Windows Server, version 1809; Windows Server 2016; Windows Server 2012; Windows Server 2008 SP2
The company is investigating both issues and working on a fix for Windows 11 customers that will be released in a future update.

rain2reign

Level 6
Jun 21, 2020
A very positive review of Windows 11 from a Mac user.
I largely agree with him, but as a primary mac user, he may be misunderstanding why users have a clear disdain for how Windows 11 is currently released (as in build). One of the primary reasons he didn't touch, which makes me believe he may not have noticed or known about it, is default application file extension settings. Only a few programs have managed to reverse engineer those settings (example: Mozilla Firefox). You still have to click every single file extension and find the application in the program files sub-menu etc...

The other is the customizability of windows itself was taken out of it to an extent.

oldschool

Level 63
Verified
Mar 29, 2018
I largely agree with him, but as a primary mac user, he may be misunderstanding why users have a clear disdain for how Windows 11 is currently released (as in build). One of the primary reasons he didn't touch, which makes me believe he may not have noticed or known about it, is default application file extension settings. Only a few programs have managed to reverse engineer those settings (example: Mozilla Firefox). You still have to click every single file extension and find the application in the program files sub-menu etc...

The other is the customizability of windows itself was taken out of it to an extent.
This review almost had me wanting to update ... but not really for precisely the reasons you state. Anyone notice how he demonstrates the nice visual features but not all the ways that many of those same features prevent you from exercising actual choices about them? :unsure:

Last edited:

Bill K

Level 5
Jul 25, 2018
Just successfully installed W11 on my Dell XPS8930 and so far so good! Had to convert the OS SSD to GPT from MBR, change BIOS from Legacy boot to UEFI, activate Secure Boot which required first disabling Legacy Option ROM, and finally activated TPM2.0. All of the programs I had pinned to my taskbar remained along with the new W11 icons. Received a notification that the installed version of StartIsBack is not compatible with W11 (there's a new version available.) Chrome is running like nothing's changed, all logins remained active. MS Office 2019 ProPlus is running fine including Office accessing all of my saved mail, contacts, and calendar. Printing to a Samsung laser printer has been verified.

RoboMan

Level 33
Verified
Content Creator
Jun 24, 2016
Not a big fan over here... Active user of Windows 11, decent hardware (i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB) and daily tasks such as opening folders and files is slower and not as smooth as in Windows 10. I will keep it installed though for two main reasons: I expected this to happen because it's a new OS, and I'm hoping an update will fix this. If anybody has some workaround for a smoother experience rather than the general tips in a youtube video (like disabling icon shadows, defragmenting, ShutUp10) I'd appreciate it.

blackice

Level 33
Verified
Apr 1, 2019
Not a big fan over here... Active user of Windows 11, decent hardware (i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB) and daily tasks such as opening folders and files is slower and not as smooth as in Windows 10. I will keep it installed though for two main reasons: I expected this to happen because it's a new OS, and I'm hoping an update will fix this. If anybody has some workaround for a smoother experience rather than the general tips in a youtube video (like disabling icon shadows, defragmenting, ShutUp10) I'd appreciate it.
Very odd, I've had the opposite experience. Folders and files open faster. What kind of drive is it?

Nightwalker

Level 22
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
May 26, 2014
Installed it on my main gaming machine today. Guess I'm bored. Even without the Ryzen patch games seem to be fine. I like the look. It's fine, it's different. Kind of bored again since it just works.

Pretty much my experience as well, installed it because I was bored and now I am bored again because everything just works.

The only "tweak" that I made was the classic context menu restauration using Sordum's tool.

amirr

Level 21
Verified
Jan 26, 2020

One of the brilliant videos I have even since talking about Windows 11. Thanks for sharing.

roger_m

Level 34
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Only a few programs have managed to reverse engineer those settings (example: Mozilla Firefox). You still have to click every single file extension and find the application in the program files sub-menu etc...
That's not an issue for me at the moment, as I upgraded rather than doing a clean install and my extensions settings have been retained from Windows 10. It may be an issue when I change browsers, which I plan to do at some point.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2020
At this point I'm starting to think it's intentional...
He covers several topics I have been vocal about.

The very feature that gave AMD its advantage in W10 was basically neutralized with W11. W11 was optimized for
Intel and Intel's new Alder lake CPU's and MS spent little to no time to optimize for AMD CPUs.

AMD said a patch is coming soon, maybe the will undo this "unforeseen performance losses in W11"

Excluding the whole Intel 7th gen and older CPUS was just smoke and mirrors, to say look we also limited Intel CPU support
not just AMD and guess what those 7th GEN Intel CPUS run W11 just fine with no performance losses. The plot is definitely thickening. :cool: