Windows 11 - First look

JoyousBudweiser

Level 12
Verified
Aug 22, 2013
Thanks. I want to build a PC, and between TUF GAMING B550 PLUS and yours which is TUF GAMING X570-PLUS; which one you recommend? Thank you.
I am also getting Ryzen 7 5800X.
If you don't want to overclock to the extreme there is no need for x570, I bought it in the year 2019 and at that time there was no x550. In my experience asus tuf x570 is extremely good, it supports most rams( you can easily overclock most of the rams). I don't use asus aura( it's still buggy, the addressable RGB headers has a mind of its own, works excellent at times). Other than that in the last two and a half years I have not seen a single bluescreen error. It just runs.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2020

Windows 11 File Explorer may slow down PCs​

Windows 11, which has been released by Microsoft earlier this month, has a number of known issues that affect the performance of certain systems.

One major issue affects AMD processors, which may see a performance drop by up to 15% on Microsoft's newest operating system. The situation worsened after the release of the first cumulative update for Windows 11 this Tuesday. A patch is already available for testing but stable version users need to wait a bit longer before it is made available to their machines.
Microsoft confirmed another performance issue on Windows 11 this week. The company released build 22478 to the Developer channel, bringing new fluent emoji to the operating system and a number of fixes.

One fix addresses the performance issue in File Explorer, which occurs when users navigate between folders in File Explorer.

Fixed an issue where the command bar was doing unnecessary calculations when navigating to folders, causing an unexpected decrease in performance. This is also believed to be the root cause of performance issues when using drag to select files, as well as using the arrow keys to navigate in certain folders.
Folder navigation is one of the core activities in File Explorer, considering that users need to navigate to different folders often to access files stored in those folders.

Microsoft did not reveal details on the performance degradation, only that File Explorer's new Command Bar is performing unnecessary calculations. The Command Bar replaced the traditional Ribbon interface of File Explorer in Windows 10.

Closing Words​

It is usually a good idea to wait months before upgrading Windows to a new version. The smaller updates for Windows 10 that Microsoft released since 2020 may be an exception, as they happen to introduce less bugs and issues.

Users who upgraded to Windows 11 this month face a number of issues, of which only some are confirmed officially by Microsoft.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Feb 4, 2016
currently im still runing (total) three machines (with Win10 Pro) which are quite new but not compatible with Win11. So i'm frequently visiting the www.elevenforum.com : i'm hoping to find some workarounds/tricks/hints etc. for my hardware

This might be interresting:

carl fish

Level 6
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
Does anyone still have the windows insider turned on now that windows 11 is released to the public, Is it a good idea to keep it turned on to beta or public release?

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2020

Trim the fat from your Windows 11 install with NTLite​

Not only can you bypass the system requirements for Windows 11 but you can shrink the whole install too.
While there's no easy-to-follow tutorial on how to strip the junk out of Windows 11 with NTLite, this tutorial explains how to reduce the size of a Windows 10 installation down to 700MB. Obviously, there are some specific differences, but you should be able to follow this enough to get rid of some of the junk.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2020

How to Run Windows 11 on a USB Drive (and Take it With You)​

Create a portable Windows 11 installation.
Thanks to Rufus, a popular free app that creates bootable USB drives, you can make a portable install of Windows 11 that runs off of a Flash drive you carry in your pocket. Testing Rufus’ “Windows to Go” feature, we were able to use the same Windows 11 disk on two different computers, with minimal hassle.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Apr 28, 2015
Kaspersky Cloud Free 21.3.10.391(f) and Windows 11, support window shows Windows 10. | Kaspersky Community 🤦‍♂️

I have just confirmed in my W11 in lap 🤢

1634543695976.png

amirr

Level 21
Verified
Jan 26, 2020

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11 is getting a new way to adjust volume from taskbar
One of the most important features of Windows 11 – the taskbar’s volume controls could be getting a new nifty feature that will you to change the volume using the scroll wheel. Build 22478 of Windows 11 contains code that enables support for the scroll wheel on the taskbar’s volume icon.

Windows 11 comes with major design improvements, but the operating system’s volume controls or sound features have remained unchanged. Way back in 2018, Microsoft started working on new volume controls for Windows. As per the leaked build, Microsoft has been working on a design overhaul for volume controls, but that revamp seems to have been delayed.

Ahead of the rumoured revamp, which is now expected to arrive next year, Microsoft is enabling support for a feature that will allow users to adjust the volume of the device by just scrolling over the volume icon. In Windows 10, you need to click on the volume to adjust the level.

Windows 11 volume feature

This new Windows 11 feature lets change the volume by scrolling over the volume icon and it seems to work really well on devices with a touchpad.

At the moment, taskbar volume popup is pretty basic, but Microsoft has been planning to enable multimedia playback controls for the popup, allowing users to play, pause and skip tracks from the taskbar,

Additionally, Microsoft has now made it possible to login to your device using Windows Hello on a connected monitor with a camera that supports it. The company has also improved the underlying indexer platform to reduce performance issues and database size, especially when you’ve very large Outlook mailboxes.

Last but not the least, Microsoft has made adjustments to the dialog that appears when adding a new language in Settings.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2020

Ventoy 1.0.55: bypass Windows 11 requirements check during installation​

The latest version of the open source tool Ventoy supports an option to bypass the Windows 11 requirements check during installation of the operating system.

Ventoy 1.0.55 is available already for download. The program can be used to created bootable USB media from a variety of image formats, including ISO, WIM, IMG and VHD. What sets Ventoy apart from most solutions, including Rufus and Universal MediaCreationTool , is that it places image files directly on the USB media, without extraction, and that multiple image files may be added to boot different systems.

silversurfer

Level 76
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014

Move the Windows 11 Taskbar to the top and change the icon size with Taskbar11​

The application is portable, so all you need to do is download the Taskbar11.exe and run it. The program's interface has some useful options, let's begin with the Taskbar setting. Click the Taskbar Position drop-down menu. Taskbar11 allows you to switch the Windows 11 Taskbar's position to the top. The flyout menus (pop-up right-click menus) drops-down correctly too. It's a shame that we can't move it to the sides, but I think we'll take what we got.

Taskbar11-interface.webp

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016

Move the Windows 11 Taskbar to the top and change the icon size with Taskbar11​

Taskbar11 - Windows 11 small icon size

Note: Setting it to the Small Size results in a visual bug, the system tray's clock is sort of hidden partially. The Large Size has a problem too, the icons appear to be blurry when you use the option.
That's the problem when you try to resize the taskbar by third party tools or registry settings.
I hope MS will give us (back) the option for a small size taskbar.
That's my only real annoyance with Windows 11.
A waste of space.