Windows 11 - First look

plat1098

Level 25
Verified
Sep 13, 2018
Move the Windows 11 Taskbar to the top and change the icon size with Taskbar11
It works! A shame a third party app, tiny as it is, has to do this job rather than Microsoft. Maybe the right and left orientations will come later.

bandicam 2021-10-19 06-54-35-916.jpg

Edit: The Start Menu is to the extreme left instead of underneath the Taskbar icon, if it matters. If one wants the Taskbar back at the bottom, just open the program from Downloads and set it in the UI, hit "Save."

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 76
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014
That's the problem when you try to resize the taskbar by third party tools or registry settings.
I hope MS will give us (back) the option for a small size taskbar.
That's my only real annoyance with Windows 11.
A waste of space.

Fully agree it's the worst annoyance for me too, breaking like that happens with the most of tools...
I found one tool what does good enough for me personally: 'ExplorerPatcher' but must be mentioned this tool just restore the old known taskbar of Windows 10, so that means in case of small taskbar icons even on system tray it's shown the time only, no date like on Windows 11.

W11.png

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Feb 4, 2016

It’s possible that the PC Health Check tool will be updated to block the operating system on Intel’s Pentium 4 series. Thankfully, Microsoft has left loopholes open for those who want to upgrade unsupported hardware to Windows 11.

According to the official documentation, you can create a registry value named “AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU” to download and install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware.

However, Windows 11 cumulative updates may or may not arrive on your device in future, and Microsoft will also not offer any assistance to users with unsupported hardware.

NormanF

Level 2
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
That's Microsoft's claim; in reality, no official testing has been done on unlisted processors. Assuming PCs with them meet the minimum Windows 11 hard floor in all other respects, the processor is seldom an issue.

Last edited:

carl fish

Level 6
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
That's the problem when you try to resize the taskbar by third party tools or registry settings.
I hope MS will give us (back) the option for a small size taskbar.
That's my only real annoyance with Windows 11.
A waste of space.
I don't mind personally that the taskbar is bigger but microsoft should allow you to resize it if you want to, but the fact that drag and drop, options to move it to different sides of the screen is really bad, I hope they decide to put these options back in through an update at some stage.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Feb 4, 2016
Microsoft is now allowing Windows 11 testers to try out Android apps. A preview version of the Windows Subsystem for Android will be available to beta testers of Windows 11 today, providing access to apps from the Amazon Appstore. Testers with Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm processors will all be able to try out Android apps on Windows 11.

Apps can be loaded through the Microsoft Store, which will list a variety of apps that then point toward the Amazon Appstore to load and install. Android apps can run side by side with other Windows apps, and they’re also integrated into Alt + Tab and Task view, and you can pin them to the Start menu or the taskbar.

NormanF

Level 2
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
When I was in the Insiders Program, the WS for Android demanded a gulping 16 GB just to install and run it! Which is ridiculous because my Lenovo Chromebook with a weak Helio MediaThek PT60 processor runs Android apps on a small fraction of those requirements.

My WSL is nowhere as bloated.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Announcing Android™ apps on Windows 11 Preview for Windows Insiders in the Beta Channel
To get started:
  1. Your PC needs to be on Windows 11 (Build 22000.xxx series builds) and meet these hardware requirements.
  2. You may need to enable virtualization for your PC’s BIOS/UEFI. Click here for a guide on how to enable this on your PC.
  3. Make sure you’re running Microsoft Store version 22110.1402.6.0 or higher. You can check for updates for Store by going to your Library and clicking the “Get updates” button.
  4. Your PCs’ region must be set to the U.S.
  5. Your PC must be in the Beta Channel. If you are new to the Windows Insider Program, click here to get started with registration and joining your PC to the Beta Channel.
  6. You will also need to have a U.S.-based Amazon account to use the Amazon Appstore.
After that, just click here to go to the Microsoft Store which will guide you through the steps to verify if your device meets the minimum system requirements, setup your environment, and discover right away the new Android apps and games.

The new component that powers Android apps on Windows 11 through the Amazon Appstore is called the Windows Subsystem for Android™ and you will see a listing for it under your Start menu where you can adjust specific settings for the experience. The version of Windows Subsystem for Android™ being released today is version 1.7.32815.0. Updates for the Windows Subsystem for Android™ will automatically come through the Microsoft Store. If the PC requires a restart, the Amazon Appstore will automatically launch after restart, or you can launch it from the Start menu.

Click here for more general information on Windows Subsystem for Android. And for developer documentation, click here.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
First Android Apps Preview Comes to … the Beta Channel?
Microsoft continues to confound our expectations and, frankly, common sense. Case in point, today’s Windows Insider release, in which testers will finally gain their first access to a preview version of Android apps in Windows 11. One would logically expect this to occur in the Dev channel. But no. It’s only being made available in the Beta channel. For some reason.

“Today, we are announcing the first preview of our Android apps experience into the Windows Insider Program,” Microsoft’s Aidan Marcuss and Giorgio Sardo write in the announcement post. “We are proud to deliver this experience with our partners—Amazon and Intel—to Beta Channel users in the United States on eligible devices running Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm platforms.”

To get started, obviously, you need to have a PC enrolled in the Beta channel, so I hope you didn’t enroll it in the Dev channel, despite the fact that that’s where new features always go first: after all, Microsoft silently removed the ability to switch between these two channels a few months back with no warning. Gotcha!

Then, open the Microsoft Store, where you will find a preview version of the Amazon Appstore for Android and a small selection of Android apps.

“Running Android apps and games on Windows 11 will feel familiar, effortless, and integrated – just as you would expect,” Microsoft adds, though I’ll point out that I expect nothing of the kind. “You can easily run these apps side-by-side with the help of the new Snap Layouts feature, pin them to your Start menu or Taskbar, and interact with them via mouse, touch, or pen input. Android apps are also integrated into Alt + Tab and Task view to help you quickly move back-and-forth between the apps that matter most to you. You can see notifications from Android apps notifications in the Action Center or share your clipboard between a Windows app and an Android app. We have built the experience with accessibility in mind; many Windows accessibility settings apply to Android apps and we are working with Amazon to deliver more improvements.”

Incredible. In so many ways.

Separately, Microsoft at least addresses the Dev/Beta channel issue without really explaining why this happened.

“The Dev Channel is now on builds from a new development cycle that isn’t matched to what is released to the general public and will not get the preview of Android apps on Windows 11 today. We know Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel are excited to try out Android apps on Windows 11 out and we plan to bring the preview to them down the road.”

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
AMD driver and Microsoft patch are out:

Known Performance Changes​

Impact​

Resolution​

Issue 1: Measured and functional L3 cache latency may increase for some applications.
  • Applications sensitive to memory subsystem access time may be impacted.
  • Estimated performance impact of <3-5% in affected applications, with possible outliers in some games.
  • A Windows 11 software update is now available to address this issue under Microsoft Knowledgebase ID 5006746.
  • More information on downloading and installing this update can be obtained under Microsoft article KB5006746.
  • Systems with this update applied will enumerate KB5006746 in the Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates interface.
Issue 2: UEFI CPPC2 (“preferred core”) may not preferentially schedule threads on a processor’s fastest core.
  • Applications sensitive to the performance of one or a few CPU threads may exhibit reduced performance.
  • Performance impact may be more detectable in >8-core processors above 65W TDP.
  • An AMD Chipset Driver package is now available to address this issue under version 3.10.08.506.
  • Systems with this update applied will report AMD Chipset Software 3.10.08.506 (or newer) within the Apps & Features interface of Windows 11.
  • In addition:
    • For AMD processors with the “Zen 3” architecture: Systems configured with AMD Chipset Driver 3.10.08.506 (or newer) should report version 7.0.3.5 (or newer) for the AMD.Power.Processor.Settings entry in the Windows 11 Provisioning Packages interface.
    • For AMD processors with the “Zen+” or “Zen 2” architectures: Systems configured with AMD Chipset Driver 3.10.08.506 (or newer) should have the AMD Ryzen™ Balanced power plan selected and active in the Control Panel > Power Options interface.