Antimalware18

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I have to say, I've been highly critical of every windows GUI post Vista even to the point where I bought windoblinds10 and had windows 10 looking like vista. So far I actually don't mind the windows 11 GUI at all (maybe because it has a bit more colour and is a bit more polished, rounded edges ect) As well as it just flows nicer for me and runs snappier on this machine than windows 10 did.

Windows defender did go back to its unusable state with windows 11 so far on this PC with win 11 though, it has missing popups and late popups (even when using configuredefender or DefenderUI) I've also ran into a few glitches they need to iron out. Sometimes folders and applications open with a single click instead of a double (double click is whats selected in the folder settings)

All games and app's run completely fine and well open faster than they did on windows 10

so, so far im enjoying it.

shukla44

Level 12
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I love the new Start menu in Windows 11. I like it very much and now cannot even look at the Windows 10's Start menu and also the rest of Windows 10 UI.
Good for you.
I don't prefer start menu in it's minimalist. If this was their goal, i'd prefer a All apps list with a search button, no need for pinned apps or anything. But, since desktop shortcuts can still be created (for the time being, don't know when MS will try to improve this), I don't need to use start menu. I just use it for right click shortcuts like task manager, run, etc.

Reactions: Nevi and amirr

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 55
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22494(Dev Channel) now lets you mute and unmute microphone directly from your taskbar
Microsoft has released Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22494 for Dev Channel Insiders. The update includes a useful new feature that allows you to mute and unmute your microphone directly from your taskbar during a Microsoft Teams call. You can also see your call audio status, all the apps that are accessing your microphone at any time. The update also includes a ton of bug fixes and improvements.

rain2reign

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Even in Windows 7 and 10, I barely used the start menu myself. Over time, I ended up with the habit of press win-key and type the name. Windows 11 start-menu suits me very much, in that only pin a few things and the rest is same old for my uses and habits. The only issue I have is that I can't remove the "recommended" part in the menu. I can disable its contents, but I can't remove the category...
1635965929115.png

Last edited:

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22494(Dev Channel) now lets you mute and unmute microphone directly from your taskbar

why are they letting you use this feature only during teams calls and why only the microphone, it would have been better if they added a button to quickly adjust the volume from the taskbar or are they already thinking of that in later updates?

one of the issues with built in teams at least for me, is you can't click on teams links in emails and start a meeting that way, you have to download the separate app or run the meeting from a link in the browser its really annoying :(

oldschool

Level 65
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The only issue I have is that I can't remove the "recommended" part in the menu. I can disable its contents, but I can't remove the category...
Others have commented on this as well. When you remove unwanted apps you're left with a mostly blank flyout. In W10 at least you can delete tiles and be left with a simple start menu.

I'm still on the fence about upgrading. I may catch hell from some MT members if I do when it's offered. ;):D

Last edited:

plat1098

Level 26
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2018
When you remove unwanted apps you're left with a mostly blank flyout. In W10 at least you can delete tiles and be left with a simple start menu.

Not pleasing aesthetically. Why we can't manually resize the Start Menu like we could in 10 is beyond me. OK so the Menu can be in the center as well as the left now. Is that too much to handle? Same deal for the taskbar placement and the elimination of the top, left and right placements by default. What is the big deal?

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
The reason is that the said tools are the most comprehensive and most recently updated of all such available similar tools

silversurfer

Level 79
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

You can now install Android apps on Windows 11 Dev Channel​

Microsoft did start testing Android apps on Windows 11 in the Beta Channel a couple of weeks ago.

Now, Microsoft has announced that the capability is available in the Dev Channel in the U.S. too. The move is interesting because Dev Channel builds are not tied to the general release of a specific version of Windows. This means that Microsoft may decide to test new features in this channel and leave Beta as-is until it gets closer to shipping those features.

While Windows 11 users on the Dev Channel are free to test out Android apps on their supported machines, the usual caveats apply. This is the still a U.S.-only experience with some bugs that you might want to know about. Additionally, there are only a handful of Android apps available in the Amazon Appstore to install as of now. That said, if you still want to give it a try, be sure to check out handy guide on the topic here.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 55
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11 KB5008295 OOB update fixes certificate issue breaking apps
Microsoft has released the KB5008295 out-of-band update to address Windows 11 issues while opening or using some built-in apps and features due to an expired Microsoft digital certificate.

"Devices directly connected to Windows Update and Windows Update for Business should be offered and automatically install KB5008295 to resolve the issues," Microsoft explained.

"If you would like to install the update before it is installed automatically, you will need to Check for updates. The update is available on Windows Update and Microsoft Update Catalog.

"In managed environments, you will need to import the package from Microsoft Update Catalog into your deployment tools."

Microsoft added that you must restart your device after applying this update to fully address the Windows 11 app issues.

The list of affected apps and features on Windows 11, version 21H2 includes the Snipping Tool, the Accounts page and landing page in the Settings app (S mode only), the Start menu (S mode only), the Touch Keyboard, Voice Typing, Emoji Panel, the Input Method Editor user interface (IME UI), and the "Getting started" and "Tips" dialogs.

Antimalware18

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014

I'm still on the fence about upgrading. I may catch hell from some MT members if I do when it's offered. ;):D

I'm working on upgrading my family/friends. so far most have gone with a breeze. my brothers desktop which is more expensive than mine (were both running gaming rigs) isnt offered the upgrade because the motherboard doesnt have secureboot or TPM 2.0 (somehow)

the only other issue im running into is a few of my friends, that even though their machines to meet the requirements havent been pushed the update yet. Even though one of my best friends PC is about 10x better than mine his windows update doesnt say if his computer meets requirements or not. even though PC health check tool says it does.

I think the release of this version of windows isn't without its hiccups.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016

The games listed below are known to be impacted by the Digital Rights Management (DRM) software issue with Windows 11*. The games listed in bold are expected to be patched sometime in mid-November with the upcoming Windows 11 update. We are working with developers to resolve issues with the rest of the games listed. In the meantime, the Scroll Lock workaround can be used.

This list will be updated as patches are released.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Oct 10, 2014
using it now. it's workable, but not as good. defender full scan didn't work and many things takes extra steps to navigate to, which is frustrating. and why change right click on task manager? oh well ... it seems a bit reminiscent of win 7 to win 8, but definitely better than that gong show. and i dislike that i can't make my task bar icons smaller. honestly, there are a million little things that i dislike, but i bet they'll all be slowly fixed in future updates, as people whine (as microsoft did in win 8).

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 65
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I think the release of this version of windows isn't without its hiccups.
it seems a bit reminiscent of win 7 to win 8, but definitely better than that gong show. and i dislike that i can't make my task bar icons smaller. honestly, there are a million little things that i dislike, but i bet they'll all be slowly fixed in future updates, as people whine (as microsoft did in win 8).
Well, at least the W11 rollout isn't as bad as the infamous W10 1607 fiasco, which still isn't saying much in its favor.

Local Host

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2017
Good for you.
I don't prefer start menu in it's minimalist. If this was their goal, i'd prefer a All apps list with a search button, no need for pinned apps or anything. But, since desktop shortcuts can still be created (for the time being, don't know when MS will try to improve this), I don't need to use start menu. I just use it for right click shortcuts like task manager, run, etc.
This sums up the general experience, they made Start Menu useless.

DavidMapes

Nov 8, 2021
Very inconvenient operating system.Quick launch is not optimized, maybe it seems so at first because the system is new and still unaccustomed.

Reactions: ChoiceVoice

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 55
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11 is able to charge batteries beyond 100%, although not for real
Windows, like any other OS, has had its fair share of bugs and some of them can be hilarious. It appears to be such a case for a recent glitch noticed by some Insiders who are apparently flighting the latest Windows 11 Dev channel build 22494 that was released a few days back. This visual bug leads to the OS erroneously reporting the full battery capacity of laptops going well past 100%, which is physically impossible, at least with the current technology.

For example, a Redditor named GlitchyDragon65 has posted a screenshot of his desktop on the Windows 11 subreddit with the battery's fully chargeable capacity being shown as 115%. The image also shows that the user is running Dev channel build 22494.

Windows 11 bug that shows laptop battery charge at 115
Fortunately, though, Microsoft engineer Jennifer Gentleman has noticed the posts and says that the firm is looking into the issue as there have been quite a few reports of this bug. Interestingly, she also confirms that this battery glitch has been present in older Dev builds too and wasn't introduced with the latest 22494 one.

Here's what Gentleman stated in the two posts:
We're looking into it, there have been a few reports across recent dev channel builds.
Dev Channel? If so we're investigating it, there have been scattered reports for a few builds now
It is important to note that these sorts of bugs should be expected in preview builds, especially in the Dev Channel.