Windows 11 - First look

mlnevese

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
What I think is most curious about this entire AMD trouble is that the XBox is a full AMD system, CPU and GPU. You'd think Microsoft and AMD would be working closely on drivers...

Reactions: Nevi

Local Host

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2017
What I think is most curious about this entire AMD trouble is that the XBox is a full AMD system, CPU and GPU. You'd think Microsoft and AMD would be working closely on drivers...
Xbox doesn't use Windows 11, not to mention was heavily influenced by Intel (which explains the problems with AMD, not entirely AMD fault).

This an issue on Microsoft side to fix, the way Windows 11 works.

Reactions: Nevi and mlnevese

mlnevese

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Xbox doesn't use Windows 11, not to mention was heavily influenced by Intel (which explains the problems with AMD, not entirely AMD fault).

This an issue on Microsoft side to fix, the way Windows 11 works.
It doesn't use Windows 11 yet :) It's currently using a custom Windows 10 version.

Reactions: Nevi

silversurfer

Level 83
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11​

Enable Delete Confirmations on Windows 11 using the Recycle Bin​

The process of enabling confirmation prompts when files get deleted is identical to the process on previous versions of Windows, including Windows 10.

Step 1: Right-click on the Recycle Bin icon that is displayed on the desktop by default and select the Properties context menu option.

windows 11 recycle bin

Step 2: The Recycle Bin Properties window displays all Recycle Bin locations and the available space on each. Locate and check the "Display delete confirmation dialog" option at the bottom of the window. Select Apply and then OK to complete the process. Note that the setting is a global setting, meaning that prompts will be displayed for all delete actions on all connected drives from that moment on.

enable delete confirmation

Step 3: Test the new functionality. Just open File Explorer and delete a file, e.g. by right-clicking on it and selecting the Delete icon or by using the Delete-key on the keyboard.

You may undo the change at any time by removing the checkmark from the preference again in the Recycle Bin properties.

CyberTech

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Simone Franco, the developer who has made WSATools has shared on his blog post why his app was removed by Microsoft from the latter's Store. For those who don't know, WSATools is a third-party app that helps users sideload Android apps on Windows 11 without going into the tricky process of using the Android Debug Bridge (adb) command-line tool method.

There was a bit of a ruckus surrounding this matter since Microsoft had seemingly removed the app from the Microsoft Store but provided "zero explanations" about the reason for the removal. However, the company had later "apologized" to the developer in a follow-up mail it sent and had also laid out the rationale for the removal.

Franco had already declared earlier that the reasons were indeed "rightful" and has since decided to share them on his blog.

As it turns out, Franco had sneakily published the app on to the Microsoft Store (which is why it was available privately) after it had failed the initial Microsoft certification check process.

However, the app was caught by the automatic certification checker during the WSATools update 0.1.56. That's why it was removed the second time, he believes.
The rest

roger_m

Level 36
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I also have the setting for "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin" enabled. It saves time and I don't need to empty the trash every time.
View attachment 262250
I just hold down shift when I press delete, which does the same thing.
It saves like 1/2 second and if you delete something by mistake your screwed.
I've never used the recycle bin and have only deleted something I didn't want to, once or twice in 20+ years.

plat1098

Level 27
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2018
Here's an interesting article about some new apps for Windows 11, including one that supposedly enables you to drag 'n' drop to the Taskbar. I read some people were lamenting this loss in 11 so here may be some help, at least until mid-2022 when the article says Microsoft will restore this functionality. Most are from GitHub, but not all. Caveat emptor.

silversurfer

Level 83
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft's Windows Developer team held a question and answer session on Reddit recently. One of the interesting tidbits to come out of it was the promise that performance will be a development focus in 2022.
Performance will be an area of focus for us in 2022. A lot of that focus will go into startup/launch perf; in terms of UI elements rendering on the screen (after the framework is loaded), we've tested the scalability of doing things like putting 10k buttons on the screen, etc. Most of the UI elements render pretty quickly already, but it would be good to understand if there are specific UI element scaling/slowness issues you're experiencing and we could take a look into that specific scenario.
The team mentions boot and launch performance specifically in the post that it made, but that does not mean that it is the only area that may see performance improvements in 2022.

Local Host

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2017
Performance is a focus, but they talk boot and launch performance, the two most useless performance metrics.

Seems Microsoft is on track to improve nothing.

Leaving aside the huge usability problems, and lack of customization in comparison to Windows 10 (don't forget the half baked UI), Windows 11 is the worst Windows I had the pleasure to touch in my entire life.

I would rather go back to Windows Vista, hell even Windows ME at this point.

Reactions: CyberTech and Nevi

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 59
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

CyberTech

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
ThisIsWin11 (TIW11) version 0.93.0 was released by developer builtbybel earlier today on GitHub. This third-party tool allows for more Windows 11 customization and the maker even touts the app as "The real PowerToys for Windows 11".

The new update brings support for Windows 11 build 22000.348, adds a "Create Restore Points" option, and more. Here's the full changelog:
  • Built-in support for build 22000.348
  • Added option to system module aka OpenTweaks to "Create Restore Points"
  • Revised Update check function (version infos are matched with AssemblyInfo.cs)
  • Added AutoScroll to Preview/logger panels
  • Updated Packages module with several new apps
  • Minor fixes

If you're wondering what OpenTweaks is, it's one of the six modules that TIW11 currently offers.
  • OpenTweaks integrates an important part of the Windows 11 settings app and allows you to check and enable/disable settings in a bulk and with just a click.

While we are on that topic, here's what the other five modules (image below) are:
  • Presenter ThisIsWin11 is starting off with a helpful introduction to what you can find in Windows 11.
  • PumpedApp makes it possible to remove unwanted features and apps from Windows 11 such as the Camera and Alarm apps, and other preinstalled bloat that you can live without.
  • Packages powered by Windows Package Manager allows you to create your own custom install packages.
  • PowerUI allows you automating several Windows 11 tasks based on PowerShell and community scripts, e.g. It is possible to boost privacy by disabling various telemetry-related components of Windows 11
  • Extensions allows you creating custom tweaks

If you are interested, you can download it from ThisIsWin11's GitHub page linked here.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 59
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I agree with some of the comments under this article:
yes, let's use 3rd party tools that dive deep into the bowels of the OS....
what can go wrong??
default_wink.png
This is borderline scary... Self proclaimed Power User "What can possible go wrong using some random GitHub scripts to make fundamental changes to my Operating System. It's open source so it has to be safe right?" IT Whammy Demon: "HOLD MY BEER!"
These tools can cause serious issues, be sure to create a system image backup first.

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
Performance is a focus, but they talk boot and launch performance, the two most useless performance metrics.

Seems Microsoft is on track to improve nothing.

Leaving aside the huge usability problems, and lack of customization in comparison to Windows 10 (don't forget the half baked UI), Windows 11 is the worst Windows I had the pleasure to touch in my entire life.

I would rather go back to Windows Vista, hell even Windows ME at this point.
also the fact that Microsoft will only give win 11 uses only one feature upgrade a year instead of two, I won't be downgrading myself but I feel the the development has been and will be quite slower compared with 10 maybe too slow for the the mass public and in the long run, it will take longer to be on par with windows 10 if at all.

Reactions: CyberTech