Level 55
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Two months in, Windows 11 is still a work in progress
When we reviewed Windows 11 nearly two months ago, it was obvious that some areas of the operating system were still under construction. Many of the built-in apps were still in need of updates, and a handful of features that had been promised back at Windows 11's unveiling in June were still either in preview or missing entirely.

Windows 11 now has two months of updates under its belt. Many of those have focused on fixing the OS's early problems, but others have slowly added features to bring it closer to what Microsoft originally announced. We've covered many of those updates as they've been released. But if you're still on the fence about upgrading and you haven't been following closely, we've put together a quick list of bug fixes and features that have come out since Windows 11 was launched, things Microsoft has been testing since early October, and a few things that we still haven't seen.

tailHey

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
I upgraded to Windows 11 myself couple weeks ago, so I thought I'd share my experience here.
  • The Health check app greenlighted my Windows 10-based laptop (bought in 2020 so recent enough anyway), and to give this newer build of Windows a better shot I didn't just do an upgrade from Windows Update but a clean install from their ISO.
  • Installation went well, drivers from manufacturer behaved and most of them have been installed automatically (except one, but on Windows 10 it was already required to perform the installation manually).
  • Stability-wise it's okay overall, nothing out of control and Windows ME-level of broken he he. I did notice some bugs but it's the kind of bugs I can tolerate till they're sorted out as this is a young build (and some of them have already been patched).
  • Gaming-wise, I don't use AMD chips (Intel + NVIDIA for the win, sorry red team fans ha ha) so my device isn't impacted by some of these infamous bugs. Didn't notice differences in game, it's at worst on par with what I noticed on my previous Windows 10 installation on the same device.
  • Also, I might be under placebo effect (or may just be a side effect of a fresh install) but stuff does feel snappier (I/O, CPU in particular).
  • UI is quite elegant, even more than what I thought. Wasn't a massive fan of rounded corners (getting rid of them "for good" on Windows 10 was one of those little touches I welcomed) but I can tolerate them.
Overall first impressions are good. Don't get me wrong it's not flawless (things you already heard like default protocoles requiring more manual intervention) but it's off to a very decent start. I assume that not everyone will have the same "luck" but it shouldn't be that bad in general. Sure you can wait if you prefer to let them iron out a bit more but upgrading to this one could be not that terrible of an idea :D

P.S: I'll upgrade my device configuration post once I gave current one a bit more time to prove its quality :p

SeriousHoax

Level 39
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hi, what about the feature to run Android Apps on Windows 11?.
Since I am An AMD user I should not upgrade yes?:)
AMD users can update, no problem. Just update windows after installation and install the latest AMD Chipset Driver containing the fix.
AMD processors also run Android apps. I even tested Android apps on the stable build, including Google PlayStore (even though stable builds officially don't support it yet). Everything ran just fine.

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
Don't let a few people's complaining sway you, it was the same way when W10 first came out, people complaining incessantly. Nothing wrong with W11, works fine for me.
windows 11 isn't bad, just the releasing of bug fixers could be a little faster but of course I understand that it will take time to fix bugs half finished features and ones that are missing currently.

Maybe Microsoft should have stated with more features from windows 10 right off the bat but I'm sure they will get it right with time.

As long as you have a good backup solution such as Macrium Reflect and make full system images every now and then just in case something breaks you should be fine.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 79
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Paint app update for Windows 11 Insiders brings new dialog boxes for Edit Colors, Resize and Skew​

Microsoft is rolling out a Paint app update for Windows 11 Insiders in the Developer Channel. It brings some changes to the core functionality of the built-in drawing tool. In case you missed it, Microsoft released Paint with a new design in September.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 55
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22509
Hello Windows Insiders, today we are releasing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22509 to the Dev Channel.

TL;DR
  • This build includes a set of improvements that make browsing the web in Microsoft Edge with Narrator easier.
  • This build includes a good set of improvements including new layout options for Start, clock and date will now show on secondary monitors, and Settings changes.

silversurfer

Level 79
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Here are the top 10 changes that Windows 11 needs, according to the public​

we have collected the top 10 most-voted pieces of feedback from Microsoft's own Feedback Hub, along with the current official response from the company. You can also navigate to the respective feedback item yourself and upvote it or provide your own feedback. [...]

oldschool

Level 65
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
we have collected the top 10 most-voted pieces of feedback from Microsoft's own Feedback Hub, along with the current official response from the company.
Unfortunately too many of the responses (and non-responses) indicate it's "Our way or the highway."!

plat1098

Level 26
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2018

Don't know if I agree with the numbers in this article but it seems a general consensus that 11 isn't really all that popular (yet). But we suspected this already. :cool:

Kees1958

Level 7
Verified
Sep 5, 2021
On my wife's HP laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 4500U and SSD Windows11 is stable, with below issues

1. GPU energy saving issues
You have to set AMD GPU profile to normal and prohibit Windows to manage GPU in some applications (e.g. Edge, set to to Power) otherwise movies on news websites will freeze and the laptop will lock up completely

2. Hibernation issues
When Windows11 goes into hibernation, it loses the SSD (displaying alarming messages like " no harddisk found" ) needing a hard re-boot.

3. CET
This new feature of modern CPU's called hardware stack protection is disabled, even when explicitly setting it with Exploit Protection will show this protection is disabled. I guess this is related to the troubles of AMD processors and Windows11.

Otherwise it is pretty stable :sneaky:

HP's support assistant works well, it always publishes new hardware related software before Windows update offers them.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 79
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Are Windows 11's new Start menu options good enough to win people over?​

We've run polls in the past on the subject, though that was before Microsoft came along and made some tweaks to the divisive menu itself. As of Windows 11 build 22509, Redmond has officially extended an olive branch in the direction of irked Windows users everywhere (though only Insiders in the Dev Channel have access to it for now). The Start menu has gotten more flexible, now enabling people to change the ratio of pinned apps to recent documents displayed.

silversurfer

Level 79
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft shares fix for broken Outlook search in Windows 11​

Microsoft has shared a solution for Outlook users who have been experiencing search issues after upgrading to Windows 11.

These problems started showing up around June when the first official and unofficial Windows 11 preview builds surfaced.

As those affected said, Outlook stopped showing results [1, 2] when searching for specific emails on IMAP/POP accounts, in some cases resulting in the app completely freezing.

"This issue will happen with any account where the emails and other items are stored locally in PST or OST files such as POP and IMAP accounts," Microsoft says on its list of recent issues impacting Outlook for PC.