SeriousHoax

Level 41
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I installed it:

View attachment 263728
I like the new Alt+tab design, and the new design for Notepad.
The screenshot above says its valid till October 2022. So will the new stuff be available in the stable version of Windows by the October 2022?
No, it means that you have installed an Evaluation copy of Windows 11. It's not activated.

CyberTech

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Back when Microsoft officially revealed Windows 11 to the world, the company also announced that the next-gen OS will be moving to an annual update cadence cycle. Hence the next feature update release will be called Windows 11 version 22H2.

Windows 11 22H2 is apparently internally called Nickel and it looks like its Insider testing is on the verge of completion according to leaked scripts that seem to reveal some of these details. Below is a screenshot of the relevant portion highlighted:
1643035907_windows_11_nickle_release_test_complete_(via-_deskmodder)_story.jpg

The highlighted portion reveals two deadlines, the first one being for "feature" completion scheduled on February 4, 2022, and the second one being for "config" completion, scheduled on March 4, 2022, which is on the same date but just a month later.

This means Microsoft could be wrapping things up for Windows 11 22H2 Insider testing by March or soon after and moving on to the release of the next feature update revision for 23H2. Windows 11 23H2 is purportedly known as Copper similar to how 22H2 is called Nickel. However, searching for "cu_release" - as Cu is the symbol for copper - did not reveal anything in the leaked file.

Source and image: Azure website via Deskmodder, @techosarusrex (Twitter)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 59
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Security feature required to run Windows 11 is causing performance issues on AMD systems:
With Windows 11, Microsoft not only dropped support for many capable processors but also limited the operating system to hardware with TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module version 2).

Unlike controversial processor requirements, TPM 2.0 mandate is actually not a big deal for most users as the vast majority of modern devices have this security feature.

On AMD systems, TPM is also referred to as “fTPM” which is a type of security module implemented in system firmware instead of dedicated chip. fTPM can be easily enabled on AMD systems, but for some configurations, enabling this feature seems to be causing performance issues.

The TPM implementation is generally straightforward and a ton of Intel folks are using it, but there are some issues with AMD’s implementation, most notably a problem with audio glitches and stuttering frame rates.

silversurfer

Level 83
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft announced today that they would be releasing new Windows 11 features next month, including a preview of the long-awaited Android Apps on Windows 11 feature, a new windows sharing feature, taskbar improvements, and redesigned Notepad and Media Player apps.

The upcoming features were announced as part of a new blog post titled 'A new era of the PC' by Microsoft's Chief Product Officer Panos Panay.

"Next month we're bringing new experiences to Windows that include a public preview of how you can use Android apps on Windows 11 through the Microsoft Store and our partnerships with Amazon and Intel, taskbar improvements with call mute and unmute, easier window sharing and bringing weather to the taskbar, plus the introduction of two new redesigned apps, Notepad and Media Player," Panay shared in a new blog post.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I have upgraded all incompatible and 1 compatible laptops in my household to Windows 11.
For the incompatible laptops I have used Windows11Upgrade.
When a new build (ISO) comes out I can use that tool again to upgrade.

I went ahead and bit the bullet and FIRST used Macrium to make fresh back up and used this tool and just about 2 hours later I am running Windows 11 Pro and posting on here with it! YAY. Thank you so much for the tip on this wonderful program. And yes Windows 11 is much more snappier. So far so good!

*UPDATE* I had one strange glitch. Hibit Startup Monitor was not showing in icon bar but was running at startup. I had to re-install it to get to show correctly. But that has been the only hiccup so far!

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 83
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft explains why Windows PCs are not updated to the most recent version​

According to Microsoft's analysis, PCs that don't meet certain update-specific requirements are often not up to date. Windows devices that are not online "two continuous connected hours, and six total connected hours after an update is released" often fail to update to the released regular updates or feature updates. The time is required to successfully download and install updates according to Microsoft.

Microsoft uses the Update Connectivity measurement to observe the updating behavior of Windows devices. It measures the time Windows devices are powered on and connected to Windows Update or other update management services such as WSUS.

Data analysts discovered that about 50% of Windows devices that "are not on a serviced build of Windows 10" are not meeting the minimum Update Connectivity measurement. Additionally, about 25% of devices that don't meet the requirements are "more than 60 days" behind when it comes to the installation of security updates on the device.
You can read the full article on Microsoft's Tech Community website.

Local Host

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2017

Microsoft explains why Windows PCs are not updated to the most recent version​

Got to love articles based on pure speculation, this is a feature on the enterprise, you can't even access this data as a home user.

silversurfer

Level 83
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Got to love articles based on pure speculation, this is a feature on the enterprise, you can't even access this data as a home user.
I would love when you skip to read this kind of articles what you mean it's "based on pure speculation" or rather just going to comment there on ghacks ;)

Local Host

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2017
I would love when you skip to read this kind of articles what you mean it's "based on pure speculation" or rather just going to comment there on ghacks ;)
The Home Users part is pretty much based on pure speculation, the same way you speculated I didn't read it, maybe you should re-read yourself.

The whole Microsoft article was directed at companies, and not Home Users.

Home users that have their PCs turned OFF for long periods, find they forced to restarts and updates, then complain Microsoft forces updates (or have updates every day, when it's not true), they severely behind and never let the PC update.

silversurfer

Level 83
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The Home Users part is pretty much based on pure speculation, the same way you speculated I didn't read it, maybe you should re-read yourself.

Your first comment sounds more like the whole article is based on pure speculation, now you said more specific, it's the part of home users only, that's a big difference!

No real speculation from me. I meant in general, you may ignoring this kind of articles if you disagree, it's well-known that some tech articles content it's clickbait, so nobody forcing you to read such articles, just ignore it and move on but looks like impossible in your case, same happened for several times on other topics in different forums sections...

Local Host

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2017
Your first comment sounds more like the whole article is based on pure speculation, now you said more specific, it's the part of home users only, that's a big difference!

No real speculation from me. I meant in general, you may ignoring this kind of articles if you disagree, it's well-known that some tech articles content it's clickbait, so nobody forcing you to read such articles, just ignore it and move on but looks like impossible in your case, same happened for several times on other topics in different forums sections...
If you so triggered over others opinions, maybe you shouldn't be here.

Even the first comment made it pretty clear it was directed at the home users statements.

CyberTech

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Back in October 2021, Microsoft revealed that it is, in fact, not bringing 3D emoji to Windows 11. It received a lot of backlash considering that official Microsoft accounts had been using the particular design of emoji to promote its latest OS to the public, under the implication that they would be available for Windows 11. The Redmond tech giant later stated that this was all a marketing blunder and that while Windows 11 is getting new emoji, they would be flat, not 3D. The OS received Fluent 2D emoji in November via an optional update.

Now, it appears that 3D emoji could be coming to Windows 11 after all. This particular information comes from Microsoft Design lead Nando Costa (via The Verge) who had the following to say in response to someone wishing that 3D emoji would come to Windows 11:

oldschool

Level 66
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If you want smaller taskbar icons use this (hope it's not a re-post):

Edit: It breaks the clock, date, etc. on my taskbar as they are offset due to pixel variation. YMMV. ;)

Last edited:

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
If you want smaller taskbar icons use this (hope it's not a re-post):

Edit: It breaks the clock, date, etc. on my taskbar as they are offset due to pixel variation. YMMV. ;)
Pity. The clunky Win 11 taskbar is the main reason I am not upgrading.

plat1098

Level 27
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2018
I have the Windows 11 upgrade assistant fuming in my Downloads. But I don't wanna. Windows 10 has gotten so good, right? Tell me a motivation to upgrade, somebody. Enhanced security ain't a good enuff reason for me. TPM chip and Secure Boot are enabled here also.

The first time, Windows 11 didn't "wow" me too much--not even the new appearance. A little faster, that's it.

Foot-dragging here.