Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft confirms Windows 11 version 22H2 RTM is build 22621​

In a Tech Community blog post intended for hardware partners, Microsoft has outlined the Windows Hardware Compatibility Program (WHCP) for Windows 11 version 22H2. While the documentation isn't intended for consumers, the bit that will interest our readers is:
Windows 11, version 22H2 certification build

Minimum acceptable build for Windows 11, version 22H2 certification is RTM build (i.e. 22621).

amirr

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
All the changes that are present in the Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview Version: 22H2; OS build 25126.1000 are also present in the Windows 11 version 22H2 RTM is build 22621?

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft Store is getting a much needed boost (and ads)​

During Build 2022, Microsoft highlighted some of the improvements that it plans to roll out to the virtual Microsoft Store. The Store, which the company introduced in Windows 8 and refined in Windows 10, has seen ups and downs since its first release.

For the first five years of Windows 10's existence, it was not really something to brag about. Microsoft's focus on universal platform apps and the ignoring of traditional desktop programs had the result that many developers and users ignored it.

The opening up of the store for traditional Windows apps and the release of Windows 11 improved the availability of apps and programs on the store. The store is now home to popular apps, including Firefox, OpenOffice, Epic Games, or Discord. While it still lacks many apps, it is an improvement over previous years. Microsoft rolled out an update to the web interface as well.

Microsoft plans to use the momentum to further improve its virtual store. Besides opening the store to all Win32 developers, Microsoft announced the following improvements to its store:
  • The ability to restore apps.
  • Improved visibility in Windows Search.
  • Microsoft Store Ads programs.

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Windows 11 build 25131 released to Dev Channel with new Microsoft Store experience​

Microsoft has released a new Windows 11 Insider build 25131 to the Dev Channel. This is the Sun Valley 3 development for Windows Insiders, which will eventually become the version that is released in 2023. The firm highlighted only fixes for this build, but Dev Channel testers will get a new Microsoft Store experience.

Here are the highlights for build 25131:
  • This build includes a good set of fixes.
  • We’re releasing SDKs for new Dev Channel builds again – links are included below.
  • We have begun rolling out an update to the Microsoft Store (Version 22205.1401.3.0) to Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel. Details on improvements and changes below.

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Windows 11 'Restore Apps' feature will make it easier to set up new PCs​

Microsoft is working on a new 'Restore Apps' feature for Windows 11 that will allow users to quickly reinstall all of their previously installed apps from the Microsoft Store on a new or freshly installed PC.

One of the most time-consuming tasks for setting up a new Windows installation is restoring all your previously installed applications.

While desktop applications will still need to be installed manually, the new Windows 11 feature will allow you to install all the Microsoft Store apps tied to your account by clicking a single button.

"To make it easier for customers to transition to their new PCs quickly and seamlessly, we will soon test a new feature in the Windows Insider channel that helps customers automatically restore their apps, previously installed from the Microsoft Store, to their new Windows device," Microsoft Giorgio Sardo explained in a blog post about the Microsoft Store.

"This will also help developers retain their customers without having to remind customers to re-download their app."

Microsoft has not released too many details regarding this upcoming feature, but we can get more information from a shared screenshot, shown below.

Restore App feature coming to the Microsoft Store
Restore App feature coming to the Microsoft Store

amirr

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
A friend told me this:

I’ve seen Windows 11 from my own eyes on a PC recently, and yes, it’s eye candy but not very practical. The big taskbar that you can’t make small, the icon only mode (I like to have the full taskbar items and only compress when there are many icons, which is more convenient to quickly access one of many browser (or file explorer) windows, for instance) and the right click menu were my biggest annoyances.

It looks nice, though.

But I think I’ll stay on Windows 10 for now. I hope that in the future more customizations come, which is possible, at first it wasn’t even possible to move the start menu on the left and now it is, so, who knows. But for now it still looks unfinished/unpolished to me.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I agree with your friend and more. I have nothing, but criticism on Windows 11 even though I use it myself. Can't do a lot of things anymore, that you could with Windows 10 and earlier version. However, since I'm not planning to move to Apple or Linux in the coming years, for compatibility reasons, I might as well get used to it.
However, I do find it working more fluid though.

amirr

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
My current hardware is back to 2016, its good PC I made that time, but not supported by Windows 11. Even if it was going to support it, I would stay with Windows 10 till 2025.

Reactions: Nevi and Sorrento

amirr

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Windows 11 is noticably faster for me on old hardware. Performance is closer to Windows 8 than Windows 10. On a 15 year old Core 2 Duo laptop, it is much more responsive than it is with Windows 10.
A friend told me this:
I think the performance difference is minimal between Windows 10 and 11, Windows 11 will bring enhancements later, if memory serves, such as the direct storage API that allows direct PCIe transfers from let’s say the GPU and the SSD, but it only works with very recent, high-end hardware, and the performance gain will only be noticed on such hardware anyway. Since you don’t play games or do AI research or such kind of stuff that heavily relies on GPU power, you would probably not see a difference.

roger_m

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
A friend told me this:
I think the performance difference is minimal between Windows 10 and 11, Windows 11 will bring enhancements later, if memory serves, such as the direct storage API that allows direct PCIe transfers from let’s say the GPU and the SSD, but it only works with very recent, high-end hardware, and the performance gain will only be noticed on such hardware anyway. Since you don’t play games or do AI research or such kind of stuff that heavily relies on GPU power, you would probably not see a difference.
The main computer I use is a ten year old laptop with a 2nd gen i3 CPU. Windows 11 is definitely a little bit faster on this system than Windows 10 was.

amirr

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I think Windows 11 will will perfect if they also make rounded corners as an option. I personally do not it that much.

Reactions: Sorrento

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft is testing a new search widget on taskbar in Windows 11​

As discovered by Rafael Rivera (@WithinRafael on Twitter), Microsoft is experimenting with yet another search bar in Windows 11. Build 25136 allows placing a search button in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen alongside the weather widget.

amirr

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I switched back to Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I am happy with it now. No plan to switch back again to Windows 11. Since I also have an 2016 made PC, which is unsupported for 11.