Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft is testing Privacy Auditing in Windows 11​

Microsoft is testing a new “Privacy Auditing” feature that would allow Windows 11 users to see which apps have been accessing hardware such as the PC's microphone, camera, and so on. It is basically a set of tools that would reveal which apps have access to "sensitive devices". Additionally, the tool would also indicate when the apps accessed the hardware.

It appears that Privacy Auditing might go beyond just offering information about access to sensitive hardware. Android and iOS already have comprehensive permission settings that make it possible to control precisely what tools, features, and data, the installed apps are able to access. The Privacy Auditing tool might offer something similar for Windows 11. The capability was highlighted by Microsoft's VP on OS Security and Enterprise recently:
New Windows 11 Privacy Auditing features allow you to see history of sensitive device access like the Microphone pic.twitter.com/vq3IJkAIMO
— David Weston (DWIZZZLE) (@dwizzzleMSFT) June 16, 2022
As visible from the tweet above, the tool appears to be a part of the Privacy & security section of the Settings app. In addition to revealing information about microphone access along with a timestamp, it also lets users see which apps have access to or have accessed screenshots, messages, location data, and more.

Privacy Auditing is not available in the Stable Release channel of Windows 11. Microsoft seems to be testing the feature in the Insider Preview of Windows 11 from the Dev Channel. Hence, those who wish to test the feature need to be a member of the Windows Insider Preview and install the latest build available in the Dev Channel.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
But will it show me/let me audit what Microsoft Window 11 access' beyond the barebones logs as it is... Blocking access to peripherals is easy, afterall...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 61
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11’s new ‘tabs’ feature apparently reduces File Explorer’s RAM usage
Windows 11 is finally getting support for tabs in File Explorer with Sun Valley 2 (version 22H2) which is set to launch in the fall. Browser-like tabs support in File Explorer is finally making it easier for users to be able to switch between different windows. In addition to tabs, File Explorer is also getting a new cluttered free navigation sidebar.

Microsoft is pushing the new File Explorer to Windows 11 in Beta and Dev Channel. The new tabs feature, which is enabled by default, lets you toggle between different windows easily. In other words, you don’t have to open new instances of Explorer every time when you want to browse more than one folder or directory at the same time.

As compared to a full-fledged new window, a new tab within the File Explorer uses minimal memory. We’ve observed this behaviour in our tests and users have also reported similar results. For example, if you launch a new tab, it will only add a few megabytes to the existing File Explorer process.

In fact, the memory usage of File Explorer is increased by only 1MB. This is particularly useful if you have a habit of opening multiple instances/windows of File Explorer. By opening tabs, you can reduce resource usage and still stay productive.

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Nope still empty. 😁

1655901306229.png

Pat MacKnife

Level 13
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Windows 11 23H2 Dev build 25145 brings OneDrive alert, local admin passwords, and more​

Microsoft has released a new Windows 11 Insider build 25145 to the Dev Channel. This is the Sun Valley 3 (Windows 11 23H2) development for Windows Insiders, which will eventually become the version that is released in 2023.

The new build adds plenty of new changes and improvements on top of bug fixes. The full changelog for Build 25145 [...]

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft confirms Visual Studio, .NET broken for Windows 11 Insiders, fix incoming​

For a few days now, Windows 11 Insiders who develop using Visual Studio 2022 have been complaining about severe performance issues. According to user reports, some of the recent Windows 11 Insider builds including the 22H2 RTM build 22621 are affected. The issues however are not exclusive to Visual Studio and all .NET-based applications like Blazor, JetBrains Rider, among others, are affected. Form the reports, it looks like there is high CPU usage in the range of 90-100% which is causing the whole system to slow down making the apps unusable.

Microsoft though is aware of the issues and it has confirmed that the problem stems from the Windows 11 Beta Channel.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I didnt even notice any blurriness on my Windows 11, but I tried a possible solution mentioned in that reddit thread just because I can. Which was to keep the UI scaling at 100%, however, increase text size (font size) to 106%. And it did improve something in the rendering on my machine at least. The fonts were rendered a bit pixelated at the edges (prior to increasing), what you usually find in word-/document processors when the font is set too small in size.

Never knew this was the solution to that rendering failure for my machine... 🤣

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
There are 7 options to vote, I chosen number 3.

POLL​

One year on, what do you think about Windows 11 so far?​

1. It's excellent!
  2. It's very good
  3. It's pretty average
  4. It's poor
  5. It's the worst thing ever!
  6. I don't have a supported machine to officially upgrade
  7. I have a supported machine but I don't plan on switching to Windows 11, and I will tell you why in the comments

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
There are 7 options to vote, I chosen number 3.

I'm a bit torn between option 2 and 3. I find it really great for the average user that is "technologically challenged", which is a sight to behold in person, but at the same time ever slightly above average by a hair's width otherwise. Somewhere in the middle.

amirr

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Nothing special because it's similar to Windows 10 but better. I'm enjoying it and basically have no complaints.
The only things that matter to me are:
1. Having option to disable folder thumbnail previews.
2.Option to never combine taskbar items.

For the second option above to enable, I use StartAllBack. It's perfect little paid software.