Question Windows 11 or Windows 10: Which to choose?

Guilhermesene

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 1, 2019
Hello to everyone in the community! 🙋🏻‍♂️

I've been using Linux (Debian) for a while now. However, it made me want to use Windows again, which one do you recommend installing at this moment? Most of the community here, have you migrated to Windows 11 or are you still on 10?

My pc settings are:
- Intel i7 9th Gen
- 32gb of ram
- SSD 240GB
- 2x HDD of 5TB each
- Unfortunately I don't have a dedicated video card

Thank you very much for your opinion and help :)

Last edited:

plat

Level 28
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2018
You don't need a discrete gpu. Your cpu is Microsoft-approved for 11 as it is. For 11, you will need the Trusted Platform Module (firmware version in UEFI is fine) and Secure Boot enabled (also enabled in UEFI). Both can be enabled in Windows 10 in preparation to migrate to 11.

Either one works and is stable right now. Actually, you can demo them--it's "just" software. Maybe you can Install 10 and then install 11 from Settings app while you still have 10 fresh in your mind.

I run both on separate drives but won't try to influence anyone with my biases. They are both capable operating systems.

n8chavez

Level 11
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Windows 11 is the same Windows 10, only in a "new dress".💃 What is better - time-tested comfortable old clothes or the latest "latest fashion" that has not yet fit everyone? You choose. As a conservative, I would choose 10.

Yeah, that's just not at all true. Windows 11 has features that 10 does not have, beyond appearance, such as:
  1. taskbar functionality
  2. DoH in Windows 11
  3. More Snap layouts
  4. better multitasking
  5. Better integration with android
  6. Windows Security (upgraded Defender)
just to name a few...

Freki123

Level 11
Verified
Top poster
Aug 10, 2013
Just try windows 11 (for a week) and if you like it stay with it if not just switch back to windows 10. Always do a clean install.
Afaik DOH should also be doable on Windows 10 with e.g. Adguard Desktop (or Yoga DNS). But yes it would mean additional software.
Atm I'm still on windows 10. I would wait for the stable release of Windows 10/11 22H2 (which should be soon) and then start your experiment.

mlnevese

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I have been playing with the idea of switching to Linux myself, but the difficulty of doing some simple things that I need to do every day, several times a day for my work, such as signing a pdf file with my certificate that is stored in an encrypted GD token is still keeping me away from it.

I had a slight performance increase on all my machines that upgraded to Windows 11 back when it was released. I have no idea if it's still true today. I also have not noticed any performance decrease over time.

if you have the time test both, if not go for Windows 11 and don't get bothered by all the requests to upgrade...