Serious Discussion Everything about Windows 12 - Release date and Rumors

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
... a handful of viewers watching the Ignite Keynote yesterday noticed an updated version of the Windows UI that was shown in a brief cutaway, which had a floating taskbar along the bottom, system icons in the top right, a floating search box in the top middle, and the weather in the top left.

My inbox has since been filled with people asking if I know anything about this design. Is it just a wishful concept by an eager intern or a miscommunication between product and design teams?

1666023726693.png
Image credit: Microsoft

The brief look at the UI mockup during Ignite is very low quality, so I've recreated it to give you a better idea as to what it's supposed to look like:

1666023738130.png
Image credit: Windows Central

Source: Microsoft accidentally revealed a UI design prototype for the next version of Windows at Ignite 2022

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Windows 12 is likely to be Microsoft's follow up to Windows 11 - and it could come sooner than you might think.
Rumors suggest that the imaginatively titled OS could arrive in 2024, and the possibility that Windows 12 could follow so soon after Windows 11 has delighted some of us at TechRadar.
And while that still leaves Microsoft behind the yearly updates that macOS and some other operating systems manage, Microsoft's upcoming 'Moments' releases will at least see it get more regular refreshes.
Whenever it comes, we'd like to see a bigger evolution compared to what Windows 11 brought. So, what improvements and new features might Windows 12 have? Users have been peppering Microsoft with feature requests, with some of these wishes having been granted with the 2022 update, which brought a refined Taskbar. With this in mind, here's everything we've found so far about the next major update to Windows, alongside five features that we'd also like to see arrive in Windows 12.

Full article Windows 12 - new features, supported PCs, everything we know so far

Last edited by a moderator:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I won't dive right into Win12 when it first gets released but this makes me hopeful of being able to bypass Win11 altogether. I know quite a lot of people here like it, but personally I can see no reason to install it over Win10 after using Win 11 in VMs.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
I won't dive right into Win12 when it first gets released but this makes me hopeful of being able to bypass Win11 altogether. I know quite a lot of people here like it, but personally I can see no reason to install it over Win10 after using Win 11 in VMs.
Do you still like Windows 10 ? I'm planning to switch Windows 10 22H2 from Windows 11 ...

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
Everyone has their own opinion, for me Windows 11 is much better than 10, I radically noticed the difference in performance. Of course you will not like 11, you used it in a virtual machine, there is no way to notice the difference in performance, obviously in a virtual machine the performance will always be slow and limited

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Everyone here, please consider this is the forums section of Windows 12, it's off-topic when you talking about Windows 10 & 11. The whole thread may ending up to be a mess as we seen before for several times even in other forums threads...

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
Who wrote that article?!
Why would you want a return to MS Messenger?! What's next Trillo? Let the past die and evolve.

Dynamic Wallpapers? What in the world? Why? Like I need more distraction when working at a PC, also why would I want to waste GPU cycles and thus higher electric bill so I can see a moving wallpaper? What's next? Windows 12 Selfie mode? But then again this might be my old grumpy before coffee self. Now get off my lawn!

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Everyone has their own opinion, for me Windows 11 is much better than 10, I radically noticed the difference in performance. Of course you will not like 11, you used it in a virtual machine, there is no way to notice the difference in performance, obviously in a virtual machine the performance will always be slow and limited
Yes but sometimes crashed on my system

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
You know nothing about what other experience I've had with Win 11, I only mentioned on VMs, I didn't say this is my only experience of it. Yet you jumped in in a way that appears to assume that you know everything about me and my use of it.

This site has been a friendly and helpful site in my experience. Until 'KISS' turned up today. I saw this when you posted, ignored it at first, but I wanted to call you out on it so as others might get more respect from you in the future.

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
You know nothing about what other experience I've had with Win 11, I only mentioned on VMs, I didn't say this is my only experience of it. Yet you jumped in in a way that appears to assume that you know everything about me and my use of it.

This site has been a friendly and helpful site in my experience. Until 'KISS' turned up today. I saw this when you posted, ignored it at first, but I wanted to call you out on it so as others might get more respect from you in the future.
Wow, what an exaggeration! Be an adult and get over it man, I didn't say too much, people have different points of view and opinion, I said that everyone has their opinion and mine is that I liked 11, and I said that your experience with 11 may have been bad because it used a virtual machine, and sometimes the words here are interpreted differently, I use google translator, not always what is written is how we wanted it to be ;)

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
...., I didn't say this is my only experience of it. Yet you jumped in in a way that appears to assume that you know everything about me and my use of it.......

I like that you got a new dog, I am sorry about your last one. Also, I like the new flowers you planted in front of your house, that looks great! I also, admire your new choice of windows wallpaper and the fact that you finally switched to Logitech mouse. /s

on a serious note, I also found windows 11 more efficient than 10, but then again I am running in on an 9th generation Core i9 chip so it might take those extra addons in windows into account. I am highly anticipating the new SSD pipeline that MS is working on to bypass the CPU for any graphic intensive work...so basically textures will load directly from SSD to GPU via DirectX 12.x Hopefully, that will be implemented well in Windows 12 (and started in Windows 11).

For me the major reason between jumping to the latest windows offering is better security.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I like that you got a new dog, I am sorry about your last one. Also, I like the new flowers you planted in front of your house, that looks great! I also, admire your new choice of windows wallpaper and the fact that you finally switched to Logitech mouse. /s
I'm fed up with the new dog already, do you happen to want one?

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I also found windows 11 more efficient than 10, but then again I am running in on an 9th generation Core i9 chip so it might take those extra addons in windows into account. I am highly anticipating the new SSD pipeline that MS is working on to bypass the CPU for any graphic intensive work...so basically textures will load directly from SSD to GPU via DirectX 12.x

For me the major reason between jumping to the latest windows offering is better security.
I didn't notice any major power differences, 11 is better though IMO. The SSD pipeline is interesting to me as well. Your point about security is very valid. I don't like the graphical tweaks that came with 11s introduction. I know we can change some of them but I don't want to have to do that from the outset. May be I should just sit back, remind myself that this is MS that we're talking about and accept that they get some things right and others are a mess, from implementation and through all, or much, of their life. But I want development, worthwhile development, not a reversion to designing 'new' rounded windows, or similar. I already forgot that this is MS!

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022

I didn't notice any major power differences, 11 is better though IMO. The SSD pipeline is interesting to me as well. Your point about security is very valid. I don't like the graphical tweaks that came with 11s introduction. I know we can change some of them but I don't want to have to do that from the outset. May be I should just sit back, remind myself that this is MS that we're talking about and accept that they get some things right and others are a mess, from implementation and through all, or much, of their life. But I want development, worthwhile development, not a reversion to designing 'new' rounded windows, or similar. I already forgot that this is MS!
With all Windows versions starting with 7, I just run StartDock Start 7 or Start 10. I have not used the new Windows UI since I don't care for it. All I care about is what's inside and not what's outside. I am used to the old Windows UI so I just use it, and extra $5 to customize the windows to your liking is not much and yet you get all the benefits that come with the new generation of enhancements and streamlining's that come with each windows iteration.

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.